CONAN SWORD & SORCERY WITH HIGH-FANTASY RACES

GarynVygax

Mongoose
I was wondering how the lot of you would approach the making of Elves and Dwarfs using the CONAN RPG 2nd Edition Rules.

How would you make them more interesting than those of D&D and "better"?

How would you fit them into a new Sword & Sorcery campaign world?

How would you incorporate Mythos elements, if at all?

What about D&D magic? What spells would you adapt, if any?

What about creating "Fay Magic" using the flashier, Force spell of D&D?

I am only wondering.

My first feeling would be..

Dwarves of Midgard; taking the Nordheimer and Hyperborian templates and using them as a subrace.

Elves: Thutha de Danann (probably use Hyborian Template as they are unique).

Many of the Irish tales of the Tuatha Dé Danann refer to these beings as fairies, though in more ancient times they were regarded as goddesses and gods. The Tuatha Dé Danann were spoken of as having come from islands in the north of the world or, in other sources, from the sky. After being defeated in a series of battles with other otherworldly beings, and then by the ancestors of the current Irish people, they were said to have withdrawn to the sídhe (fairy mounds), where they lived on in popular imagination as "fairies.

Elves:

Thutha de Dannan

Norse Myth:

Noticed Norse Myth has mention of elves:

Light and Dark Elves:

Also for Magic...

Well Dwarf Magic is Runes and a fellow called Daz in this forum create a list of spells, but did not completely finished his idea (ie it probably 97% complete) on Runic Magic for Conan RPG.

This link will let you see what he did.

Runic Magic:

Elven Magic: Nature Magic obvious with possibly Fire Magic from Secrets of Skelos

Hope that they would make a game about 5 factions and focus on pks and clanwars and other things that a player wants to do like SAO.

Sword & Sorcery is on the rise right now in rpgs. Even D&D 5E is a little more focused on S&S rather than high fantasy. Of course there's the newest editions of Rune Quest and worlds like Arcanis that have a strong S&S vibe mixed in with standard fantasy.

To answer the OP, I'd probably just get Primeveal Thule, a S&S game universe that features dwarves and elves.

Back