Conan Plans Unveiled - Deepest Apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an article I read where that was in fact discussed. Not specific to Conan but about rights that should really be lapsed but don't seem to be. The chap was a lawyer so he probably knew what he was talking about. Essentially he thought something like the rights to Conan etc should be lapsed and if it went to court it would probably eventually be found that they were. But the problem would be the cost of fighting the action in the first place.

In fact in the UK, REH's copyright will be long-lapsed. So I can't see use of any of his (as opposed to the pastiche writers') work being a problem.

I wanted to post something long and meaningful about this set of news. See, I like the D20 Conan system, but I also have MRQ and Savage Worlds games that I am willing to play, so this would have been GREAT news to me. And the series of Atlases? Oh, God, give me more! But this... This...

All I can think of is:

Aw, man, this sucks.

I would willingly go into debt to get this stuff... And now, it's gone.

Demetrio said:
There was an article I read where that was in fact discussed. Not specific to Conan but about rights that should really be lapsed but don't seem to be. The chap was a lawyer so he probably knew what he was talking about. Essentially he thought something like the rights to Conan etc should be lapsed and if it went to court it would probably eventually be found that they were. But the problem would be the cost of fighting the action in the first place.

Hi Demetrio I wrote this in may of 09 in regards to Thulsa's SpiderGod's Bride thread:

Spectator
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:00 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ScottOden wrote:
Quote:
I didn't think that applied to movies. Anyone can take a REH Conan story and turn it into a film.

You can, sure, but prepare to get your pants sued off. While certain of the stories are in public domain, Paradox has trademarked the name "Conan" as it applies to the REH character. So, you could make a Conan movie only if it had nothing at all to do with REH's character or the Hyborian Age. AFAIK, they're in the process of trademarking virtually everything not nailed down in the stories.

Though I don't know for certain, I'd bet Mongoose has an exclusive license to produce RPG material based upon REH's Conan. A person could probably distribute a new Conan scenario for free, but the minute they accepted money for it they'd be stepping on Mongoose's license.

Of course, I'm not a lawyer, either, so I could be wrong . . .

Best,

Scott

Well I am a lawyer, not a copywright lawyer, but a litigator with 200+ trials and I am plucky enough to propose this:

1. Set up a corporation (Why, well if they are successful in getting a judgment against us, I'd rather have the Corporations assets taken, not mine or yours).
2. Start publishing anything and everything Conan (obviously not copying any of the modern Conan stuff such as the Tv series, cartoon, movies, or recent pastiches).
3. Be sure to credit the reflects the author "based on a Character created by Robert E. Howard"
4. Let Conan Properties, Inc. come after the corporation.
5. To allege copyright infringement they will need to allege WITH SPECIFICITY what provisions the corporation is violating. I can't see how they can see a brand new story of Conan romping about in the Fleshpots of Zamboula ("Conan the Horndog") is violative.
6. I'd be willing to wager the corporation's entire assets (maybe a laptop and an internet address) that even if we did film remake of a classic published story, we'd be ok.
7. Again, the main hurdle is overcome: The cost of representation is free (I'm a lawyer in good standing in Florida and the Federal courts of the USA) and the main concern about them coming after our collective asses is null and void if we set up a corporation, which protects the shareholders assets). Again, I issue a challenge out there to you all, come join me, come fight with me. If you want to see my credentials, PM me and I'll direct you to my resume and Bar credentials.

I would think that this would be a fun fight, frankly I don't think they can do much more than bark, because they have no legal bite.

Spectator said:
this would be a fun fight, frankly I don't think they can do much more than bark, because they have no legal bite.

[/i]

Interesting. And kudos to the guy that brought this up, (Malcolm was it?). I hear someone is trying this same thing with Mickey Mouse. Be interesting to see what happens there.

Spectator said:
Well I am a lawyer, not a copywright lawyer, but a litigator with 200+ trials and I am plucky enough to propose this: (snip) I would think that this would be a fun fight, frankly I don't think they can do much more than bark, because they have no legal bite.

That was very insightful to read, thank you. I can't help but think it should be sent to Matt though rather than simply posted on a forum.

cheers!
Colin

The problem for Matt is that he does have corperate assets to lose. And a company to run. He does not need an injuction against publishing while it slowly grinds through the courts.

The rest of us though.....

If the plan would have gone as Matt wrote, it would have been huge news. Even better than anyone here would have expected, I might dare to say.

I am very frustrated to hear that such great plans were rejected by Paradox (?). Then again Paradox pulled the rug under the feet of COG just recently. For those not in the know (or not too interested), COG was developing a 3rd edition of Mutant Chronicles. Hmm... do I see a pattern here? Granted, COG had been developing MC 3rd ed. for quite some time and missed the deadline but still...

Damn! I can't even write how I feel about that company now :evil:

zozotroll said:
The problem for Matt is that he does have corperate assets to lose. And a company to run. He does not need an injuction against publishing while it slowly grinds through the courts.

The rest of us though.....

No doubt. I wasn't suggesting that Matt necessarily act on the information though; I simply know that were I in his position it would still be very useful and informative to have available. Given that he almost invariably has a lawyer he routinely consults as well, it's possible that he is aware of the dubious legality of Paradox's claims, but there is certainly no harm in bringing that issue to light.

Colin

COG as a company don't exist any more. It was put up only to create the MC 3rd ed and when that didn't happen, Game Over Man! :(

Fortunately, it's not the case with Mongoose as they still have the license and have many other game lines as well. Still, it would have been sweet to see all those products :p

But that Paradox connection is still too much for me to think as a coincidence...

Hmm, it most likely is coincidence. Still, it doesn't change the fact that dubious legality aside, giving someone the go-ahead for a project, letting them develop it for a year (with all the costs and efforts and time involved) and then turning around without warning to say, "Changed our minds! Yoink!" seems unethical.

Colin

Well, I've been away for a while, and wouldn't you know it--big, nasty changes had to happen. :shock:

I've absolutely no interest in Runequest. Never played it. Never will.
And though I've never played Savage Worlds, I've heard many good things about it throughout the RPG community over the past few years.

This is the first time I've heard about an "Atlas" by Mr. Vincent Darlage, and if indeed it was to be systemless, then I certainly would have made it a priority.

Vincent's personal and professional dedication to REH's legacy is a jewel in the crown of this hobby. Any licence-holders who do not deem his contributions worthy of attention (and ultimate publication) receive nothing except my contempt.

I'm quite content with my nice library of Atlantean Edition Conan RPG books. I felt no need to cross over into the Second Edition, and I am perhaps not as disappointed in these latest news as most of you are.

No matter whatsoever changes occur in the future I hope, in the end, REH's characters and worlds will be respected and presented accurately and faithfully to successive generations.

I have been wanting a Savage World of Conan game for a long while now. I'm extremely disappointed that CPI stopped it from happening.

The setting and the system are a perfect match for one another. I sincerely hope that CPI isn't thinking of trying to produce something that they think gamers will want rather than let Mongoose produce something they know gamers want.

My suspicion is that once the Mongoose license is up CPI will pull the license and give it to someone who will produce a pen & paper version of that wretched Age of Conan MMO with its Cimmerian bear shamans, mammoth riders and tiger riding Khitans. Age of Conan, as vile as it is, is their primary object of affection and I would be shocked if the licensed movie, if it ever escapes development hell (and maybe it shouldn't), doesn't turn out to be closer to the game than the actual stories.

To hell with CPI!

Mongoose should produce the Atlases using only the public domain material from Howard. They can then strip the explicit Conan references from the RQ & Savage Worlds books and release them with that favorite tagline from innumerable 70s Sword & Sorcery paperbacks...."In the tradition of Conan!"

Well, I have to be honest. I would have been completely disinterested in an RQ version (or any other version of different rules) for Conan. Not because I have any loyalty to d20, but because I just finished buying the d20 books. I'm a late comer to the Conan RPG, but my gaming group and I have been having a blast with it. Most of my players (many are new to gaming as a whole) just learned the d20 system. I'm not about to suddenly stop and tell them everything has just changed.

As for the Atlas though.... wow. I'd have loved that. I absolutely love atlases for all sorts of worlds (even our real one) and I would bought that as fast as it hit the market. I'm truly saddened to see it go (if, in fact, it has).

I'm all for more d20 books, though, much like the Warrior's Companion, I'm not sure they will see much use. More adventures would be great because, frankly, working 2 jobs and this many hours kills the prep time for an RPG anymore.

If they print compelling adventures or background for Conan in any system, I'll snatch them up.

Just my 2 copper pieces.

Wow. Just...wow.

Mongoose has my sympathies that such hard work would have been turned on its ear in such a fashion. The atlases by Vincent would have been awesome.

As the company that really introduced me to the OGL and gave me a true swords-n-sorcery engine, I continue to wish you continued success. Hopefully, that success will continue with the Conan license but it wasn't entirely clear to me upon reading Matt's update.

I'm also disappointed by the stated direction for the RPG - however I'll attribute that to too much info and emotion in the initial post to address every question that the fanbase might have. While I don't begrudge the RQ and SW fans getting their books, it didn't sound as though the OGL line was going to continue (or at least it wasn't evident to me that it was). Aside from the atlases, the OGL books would have to be maintained in print or further expanded to keep me interested. As I've stated in the past, however, I can appreciate Mongoose wanting to expand their house system.

In any case, my condolences to Mongoose as a whole. Thank you for keeping us apprised and please continue to do so. Also, if possible, would you please provide some insight into the status of the Conan OGL line. Either as plans that were running parallel to the MRQ & SW lines or old/revised/new plans resulting from these events.

Thanks again for so faithfully supporting the license and the fans.

Some of you may remember me, I've been away awhile but had to come back to comment on this.

To be perfectly honest I've slowed down my purchases of Conan RPG products due to the fact that I've already got more than I will probably ever use. Likewise not much interest in RQ or SW Conan.

But Vincent Darlage's work with Conan material has always been of the highest order - as a fan of Conan and Howard he has my deepest respect. So the idea of a Vincent Darlage authored atlas ... it makes my mouth water. Even if I never had the chance to use it in game I'd still buy it just to appreciate the work.

Matt - you can tell the license holders that if they give the go ahead on the Atlas they have at least one guaranteed sale in me. And I know a few other folks who would probably go for it as well.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back