Conan Plans Unveiled - Deepest Apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Egads, a systemless Conan atlas! I'm not a regular Conan customer, neither do I play d20 nor RQ, and yet I would've bought this...

Kev posted a line of thought that I too walked downand now am again haunted by a sense of unrealness ( oh how we gamers get so wrapped up in game world passion). Anyway...reality check Mr Sprange - this is for real yes...or are you gonna say oahah got you - don't worry we are going to do all that loveliness for you all!

feeling bemused...

Actually I think the atlases would have had a wide market, far beyond the relatively narrow rpg market.

But it is possible, as was suggested earlier in the thread, that the license holder might be twitchy about such a project (for no good reason that I can see mind you).

Mongoose_Will said:
I for one have worked my design socks off on both the Atlas and RQ book...

read Vincents comment also, 3 volumes into the Atlas...

Its not a fun day for some of us at Mongoose, trust me.

Then I am truly saddened that everyone's hard work has been for naught. :cry: For what it's worth, Vincent's atlases would've been a no-brainer purchase for me, Savage Worlds Conan a most-likely one (seeing as I've got Pinnacle's Solomon Kane version), and RQ Conan an item of much interest (though, sadly, I don't know anything about the system).

My apologies if my statement/rant seemed flippant. It was not my intention to belittle anyone's hard work on these projects. :oops:

About game systems keeping players away I can say even though I loved the Lord of the Rings setting, the MERP system was what kept me from playing it.
When the movies came out and another game company released it my friend ( who collected all the MERP releases fanatically without playing the system) was VERY disappointed. It was a movie trivia book at best.
I hope this isn't the fate of Conan. And in my humble opinion giving it to WOC would amount to the same thing. And would very much result in me never buying the product, based solely on changing game systems.
Someone thought selling the Lord of the Rings to that company was a good idea based on money changing hands.
Hollywood's Conan (in the past) didn't spark my interest in the genre, nor did their version of LOTR. But the sad fact is Happy Meal Toys and such hold more sway over these decisions than common sense from an RPG's point of view. Using the LOTR as an example.

I am now sad. I will say though, Our particular Demo Team has always relished the Conan RPG, whatever system it would have evolved to. We're all Huge Robert E. Howard fans.

Hell, it would have been a blast sharing a room with Pinnacle again for round robin unfettered Robert E. Howard goodness.....

Ah well. No use crying over spilled milk though. I'm eying the new Movie as one of the reasons, that's more then a typical thing estates holders of rights tend to look at first, everything else secondary. Who knows maybe once they sleep on it a bit, well one could hope right?

Not being privy to the other info that needs remain unsaid (lot of that in my day job as well), I can only guess. Kinda ticked I won't get that Atlas, that idea, was sheer brilliance.

~Rex, The Black Hand

Crap!! That would have been AWESOME worth the wait AND the money. My only gripe is that I am part way through a d20 conan campaign so switching to RQ or SW would have been a bit time consuming. BUT I can see the advantages, 3 systems, more people playing, Mongoose getting a lot of attention. Real shame, Savage Conan would have worked really well too. The atlas was have been OUTSTANDING if Vincent was at the helm lets hope his work has not been in vain.

Matt I have to say that the Conan games I have ran recentley have been the best I have run in years due mainly to the depth of the world setting you guys have built on. My players have become role-players instead of roll players with really believable characters that have only really come about due to richness of the setting and books your company has written.

Here's hoping that you can get something resolved.

ooohh just a thought, you don't think the atlas licence has got anything to do with AOC and funcom, anybody think they might be trying to get an atlas deal in themselves, you know like the World of Warcraft one (not that I play it).

How disappointing! I would have been very interested in RQ Conan, and especially the Atlas series. What a shame.

My condolences to Mongoose, I know you guys are crushed. :(

warzen said:
And 3 years ago Funcom managed to get the MMO Conan license until 2023 !!

W.

What the hell? Even Activision has to renegotiate with Paramount for the Star Trek license every few years. Who in the hell is running the licensing department of the REH estate?

Im not kidding. Id like to know how to contact them.

Mongoose have my deepest sympathies. There is no fathomable reason behind this move. Consider, for example, the Cthulhu mythos, now licensed across several game systems and *thriving* because more people are able to purchase into the property with systems they enjoy, and *just as importantly* who are able to purchase and convert material from any of the gamelines if desired; more Cthulhu sales than any single system would ever produce. Multiple systems would've helped make the Conan property the go to property for many fans of Conan put off purchases for systems they disliked. The atlases would've sold immensely well even outside of the rpg sector, and I have little doubt said atlases would've put to shame many of the mediocre efforts the licensors have permitted to surface under the Conan license. I know I would've happily purchased anything and everything for Conan purchased with the RQ system, as well as all of the atlases, and likely some non-Mongoose supporting Conan material as well.

cheers!
Colin

As President of the "Flaming Cobra" publishing company who was developing Conan for Savage Worlds, I can say I'm extremely dissapointed (to say the least) in this decision.

We got the nod from Mongoose to develop it last June, and work was progressing swimmingly. This would have been a great book for Savage Worlds fans. We had all sorts of neat stuff planned.

Now...

Well. I don't know what else to say. Maybe things will change in the future. Matt told me to put it "on indefinite hold," so I'm going to do just that.

Matt said he was collecting comment.

For years ICE published LOTR mods for MERP/Rolemaster. I cant believe they where not selling them as no company can afford to keep pouring out money for year after year on a product that loses them money. Particularly not a game company.

Then the Licence got changed to some new yahoos, the game more or less sucked, and in a few years totaly disapeared. Or at least I have seen nothing new for it for years.

I find it hard to believe they would have not made more money in the long run with ICE continueing to put out quality products to a captive audience. Perhaps the REH people should check this out before they do anything to radical.

zozotroll said:
Matt said he was collecting comment.

For years ICE published LOTR mods for MERP/Rolemaster. I cant believe they where not selling them as no company can afford to keep pouring out money for year after year on a product that loses them money. Particularly not a game company.

Then the Licence got changed to some new yahoos, the game more or less sucked, and in a few years totaly disapeared. Or at least I have seen nothing new for it for years.

I find it hard to believe they would have not made more money in the long run with ICE continueing to put out quality products to a captive audience. Perhaps the REH people should check this out before they do anything to radical.

I read a few reviews about the LOTR rpg that came out around the time of the first movie. Now, keep in mind, this is when D20 just came out and was starting to dominate. They didnt do a d20 game, and the game they did was, from what I read, dull. A orcs, some animals, thats it. I dont think they even stated up the Balrog or anything like that. I dont recall them ever putting out any more books for the sequels even.

Very sad to hear this news. I would have bought the MRQ version and the Atlas'. Hopefully you can still do the MRQ version and adapt the atlas to MRQ. Needless to say it has wanting to boycott the movie and other Conan properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back