Conan Plans Unveiled - Deepest Apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG! It was the best possible outcome for all the diaspora of Conan gamers(D20,MRQ and Savage Worlds) and its been taken away. :cry: A single statement and its gone. :x

Will Vincent continue to work with you for any future Conan publications? That, at least , would be one bright spot in this rather dark day.

On a slightly different subject, does the complete lack of anything on the horizon for the Eternal Champion games lines mean that there is an issue with that license also?
Also, is Loz still working with you guys,I haven't seen him on the boards for a while now? :?

Pascalahad said:
It’s probably business secret, but if you are close to the renewal of the license, would it be possible that the license holders plan to sell it to another, higher-bidding company ?

Honestly, if they can find another company who is a) currently solvent, b) will pay the kind of advance we do and c) sell as many books as we do, then the best of luck to them.

As for other questions, we are obviously restricted in what we can and cannot say. However, I believe the coming movie has a lot to do many decisions being made right now.

tarkhan bey said:
On a slightly different subject, does the complete lack of anything on the horizon for the Eternal Champion games lines mean that there is an issue with that license also?
Also, is Loz still working with you guys,I haven't seen him on the boards for a while now? :?

No, we are quiet on the Eternal Champion front because 2010 is going to be a mega-year for Moorcock RPGs - all our Eternal Champion resources are going into that at the moment (more news in the State).

And yes, Lawrence is still very much with us and currently working on awesomeness.

msprange said:
Pascalahad said:
It’s probably business secret, but if you are close to the renewal of the license, would it be possible that the license holders plan to sell it to another, higher-bidding company ?

Honestly, if they can find another company who is a) currently solvent, b) will pay the kind of advance we do and c) sell as many books as we do, then the best of luck to them.

As for other questions, we are obviously restricted in what we can and cannot say. However, I believe the coming movie has a lot to do many decisions being made right now.

thanks for that.

I guess a question you could address is the continuing of the D20 Conan line?

PrinceYyrkoon said:
I guess a question you could address is the continuing of the D20 Conan line?

I haven't had this news myself for long - we are still working on what to do next.

It certainly sounds like there is some undercurrent relating to the license that the guys at Mongoose don't know about or can't talk about with us.

Put me down as another person disappointed that your proposed plans were quashed as they sounded awesome - especially the atlas collection as those would have appealed to gamers and non-gamers alike.

I didn't know about the Savage Worlds option. That is awesome (well, it was awesome. Gone now).

I was in the middle of the third volume of the Atlas when this news came. Brand new research, brand new text... I've been working my tail off. I hope the license holders reverse their decision. D20, Runequest, Savage Worlds and a systemless Atlas that could be used with any or all of it (or just as a reference set for those who just love atlases of fantasy worlds)...

I feel very shattered right now. I probably put too much of my heart into the Hyborian age, but I feel it deserves it. Please show your support!

I certainly would have grabed RQ and The Atlas.What are they thinking? Any books sold have to be better than no books sold. And if they want something movie related, then do that when it gets closer to release.

What you have proposed would in no way mess up what you do later in the year. And besides, we are GAMERS. :D We would gobble up this stuff, and then swing right on in to the movies stuff because thats how we are.

Waiting for Flatscan. Should be an interesting comment, wildly positive and wildly negative all at once.

I am sort of stunned, yesterday a lay-off notice, today Conan cancel notice. What happens tomarrow cancel Christmas?

lol Zozo. I would have bought the Darlage penned Atlases in a heartbeat, even if they were sold at a high premium (like Matt's description of them sounded like they'd have to be). The other stuff I wouldn't touch, but as long as new d20 material (Thief's Companion, Empires, etc.) is still being produced I'll still be buying. Strange decision on the license holders part, but I've disagreed with a lot of decisions those guys have made (calling the world Hyboria for one). Sucks to have the rug pulled out from under you like that Matt. :evil:

zozotroll said:
We would gobble up this stuff, and then swing right on in to the movies stuff because thats how we are.
Perhaps we will get an half-brained photo-rpg-book a la Decipher's LOTR. I pass :evil:

Well, either RQ or Conan 2nd will get my continued support. At the moment it doesnt seem we have much to support, but I am sure they will get something together in the next few days.

Sounds like the long dry spell may have just gotten a lot longer.

Have just seen Loz on the Runequest boards Matt. Thanks for claering that up. It still doesn't stop the hurt about todays bad news though.
The atlases and the campaign were "nailed on" purchases for me. As a recent convert to MRQ Slaine from D20, I reckon that MRQ Conan was as good as "my money in your pocket" too. :(

I suppose i best apologize now for referring to you as Slough Sprange in one of the Slaine threads. You guys have been kinda busy of late.

I do feel for the Mongoose team right now. This news is such a crying shame the more I think on it.

I really think the Licensors are in talks with someone like fantasy Flight games on a new license deal. FFG have the board game license they produce top quality rpgs - they must be in talks by now.

Matt - how long does your current license last? I seem to racall it restricted you to D20 stuff only? If so SW/RQ Conan is a no way possibility?

Im D20 through and through, and even though I really am not interested in RQ in the least, my heart goes out to them who hoped so much for some RQ or SW stuff. Its too bad, to have it shot down not by economics or a editorial decision, but by the license holder. Ill be honest, I have no idea why they wouldnt want this, unless theyre cooking up a deal with like WOTC for a 4e Conan game. Who knows. More Conan for everyone can only help the fanbase.

Anywho, Im hoping this doesnt mean that the cord will get pulled on more D20 stuff. There's alot more things to do with the D20 version, and I hope that we dont lose out on it.

BTW, who is the Conan license holder? How would we contact them?

VincentDarlage said:
I was in the middle of the third volume of the Atlas when this news came. Brand new research, brand new text... I've been working my tail off. I hope the license holders reverse their decision. D20, Runequest, Savage Worlds and a systemless Atlas that could be used with any or all of it (or just as a reference set for those who just love atlases of fantasy worlds)...

I feel very shattered right now. I probably put too much of my heart into the Hyborian age, but I feel it deserves it. Please show your support!

I hate to think of all that work go to waste. Im sure you were doing a 1st class job too.

I think youre a victim of some underhanded games by the people who hold the licence. Im sure Robert E would be turning in his grave at the sly machinations of civilised folk!

Yeah, Savage Worlds would have been great too. But Im not so bothered about that, theres a free download for a SW Conan game, so the book is no big loss. The loss of the MRQ version is a FREAKIN' TRADGEDY though. And I dont understand people who play the D20 version saying they wouldnt touch a RQ version of Conan. Seems ridiculous to me.

Well some of them just don't like RQ, which is fair enough. Others (like me) have frankly invested too much in the d20 version.

It is a pity that Mongoose's plans have come to naught though. Even though I think a three-system Conan would have been a bad move, the Mongoose staff were clearly fired up about it and it's a shame.

I'd add that I'm not certain the license holders are exactly playing underhanded games. They might be wrong, but their aim will be to maximise the money they can make from granting the license.

PrinceYyrkoon said:
And I dont understand people who play the D20 version saying they wouldnt touch a RQ version of Conan. Seems ridiculous to me.

???

It seems ridiculous to you that some of us thoroughly enjoy the d20 Conan game we have with the 40+ books released for the line (1e, Atlantean, 2e) and hundreds of hours invested in playing with a steady set of characters and would not be willing to chuck all that out the window in order to play in the same world with a vastly different system? I know you love RQ, but c'mon man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back