Conan + OGL Steampunk = Soloman Kane

Solomon Kane
English Puritan(race) Swashbucker(pirate) 14/Wanderer(borderer) 6

Hit Dice: 8+9d8+45+8+15 (121 hp)
Initiative: +22 (+8 Dex, +14 Ref save)
Speed: 30ft
DV (dodge): 32 (+13 level, +8 dex, +1 dodge)
DV (parry): 26 (+10 level, +5 str, +1 parry)
Abilities:
Str: 21
Dex: 26
Con: 21
Int: 22
Wis: 18
Cha: 19

Saves:
Fort: +19
Ref: +22
Will: +10

Special Abilities/Feats:
Seamanship +3, Ferocious attack(additional attack, stun, blood and slaughter), Combat Expertise(Replacement for pirate code),
To sail a Road of Blood and Slaughter, Sneak attack +4d6, Sneak Subdual, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Improved Mobility, Bite Sword, Poison Resistance +2, Navigation, Track, Favored Terrain: Forest +2,
Improved Combat Styel: Two weapon style, Endurance, Die Hard, Brawl, Weapon Focus: Rapier, Weapon Focus: Pistol, Combat Reflexes, Demon Killer, Dodge, Greater and Improved Critical: Rapier, Parry, Quick draw, Sleep Mastery

Skills:
Balance +17, Climb +28, Hide +17, Intimidate +9, Jump +13, Knowledge (history) +21, Listen +13,
Move Silently +31, Profession (Sailor) +21, Search +16, Sense Motive +9, Spot +18, Survival +20,
Swim +10, Tumble +25

Equipment:
2 Flintlock Pistols(OGL Steampunk)
Rapier 1d8 18-20/x2 AP 3 piercing
Dirk(as dagger)

Ju-Ju Staff:
Staff given to Kane by his blood brother N'Longa. It is wooden staff, but hard as iron, a cat shaped head at one end and a point on the other.
Stats as Hunting Spear.
Special: When an attack against a supernatural or cosmic being is successful, then the being is destroyed.

Special Changes

English Puritan:
Human from OGL Steampunk with following changes added:
Weapon Proficiency: Firearm(Pistol and Rifle)
Knowledge History is class skill.

Swashbucker:
Changed Pirate code to Combat Expertise

I was a little bored and decided that with OGL Steampunk that it was possible to create a form of
Solomon Kane to work with the Conan RPG. This is the initial design I have for him at the moment.
I will update it as I make changes based on things I decide to change, and any recommendations.
I had to make a few rule changes to make it more like the Kane from the stories, mostly
they occur in the English Puritan race and changing pirate into swashbucker.
I modified the standard D&D rapier to fit the Conan RPG, could not find rapier in the book.
Knowing me I probably looked right over it, pistols come from OGL Steampunk and the Dirk I just
figure use the dagger stats from Conan.

Keep and eye on this and offer any suggestions. Changes are more than likely going to occur.

miracleman_jbone said:
Keep and eye on this and offer any suggestions. Changes are more than likely going to occur.

Very cool write up!

Just the Ju-Ju Staff, granted SK didn't use it to it's full potential, but I wouldn't have a clue on how to properly stat it out under the Conan game. It's a major artifact at the least but very few of any powers were ever mentioned about it.

For those unfamiliar w/ the staff in question I offer this brief paragraph:
"This staff is older than the world! It holds mighty magic! I have read of it in the old iron-bound books and Mohammed - on whom peace! - himself hath spoken of it by allegory and parable! See the cat-head upon it? It is the head of a goddes of ancient Egypt! Ages ago, before Mohammed taught, before Jerusalem was, the priests of Bast bore this rod before bowing, chanting workshippers! With it Musa did wonders before Pharaoh and when the Yahudi fled Egypt the bore it with them. And for centuries it was the scepter of Israel and Judah and with it Sulieman ben Daoud drove forth the conjurers and magicians and prisoned the efreets and the evil genii!" - The Footfalls Within, REH.

Glad you like it.

The Ju-Ju staff did leave me a little puzzled. I chose war spear stats because he only seemed to use the pointy end. As far as uses, there were only a few times I can think of him using it, he summoned N'Longa, but unless I stat him up there's really no point in adding that power. He used it to impale the vampires in The Hills of the Dead and he "destroyed" the Lovecraftian cosmic being in The Footfalls Within.

I do not have my book at work with me now so I cannot do exact quotes. I know at the end of The Hills of the Dead N'Longa tells him it is powerful against sorcery, snakes, spiders and all creatures of darkness or something along those lines. Then in Wings in the Night Kane says that the winged creatures are not supernatural so the staff is useless against them.

Basically the only thing the staff was used for in the stories were summoning N'Longa and destroying supernatural beings. I was tempted to put some sort of immune to fear since he stood his ground at the masoleum in The Footfalls Within, but Kane just seems fearless overall, hence the Demon Killer feat to help that trait. Maybe some sort of resistance or immunity to spells, but besides the brief mentioning as being useful against sorcery nothing to really show how.

That's pretty much how I have arrived at the current setup for the staff.

miracleman_jbone said:
Glad you like it.

The Ju-Ju staff did leave me a little puzzled. I chose war spear stats because he only seemed to use the pointy end. As far as uses, there were only a few times I can think of him using it, he summoned N'Longa, but unless I stat him up there's really no point in adding that power. He used it to impale the vampires in The Hills of the Dead and he "destroyed" the Lovecraftian cosmic being in The Footfalls Within.

I do not have my book at work with me now so I cannot do exact quotes. I know at the end of The Hills of the Dead N'Longa tells him it is powerful against sorcery, snakes, spiders and all creatures of darkness or something along those lines. Then in Wings in the Night Kane says that the winged creatures are not supernatural so the staff is useless against them.

Basically the only thing the staff was used for in the stories were summoning N'Longa and destroying supernatural beings. I was tempted to put some sort of immune to fear since he stood his ground at the masoleum in The Footfalls Within, but Kane just seems fearless overall, hence the Demon Killer feat to help that trait. Maybe some sort of resistance or immunity to spells, but besides the brief mentioning as being useful against sorcery nothing to really show how.

That's pretty much how I have arrived at the current setup for the staff.
He mentions some of the historical/religious artifacts it's been mistaken for. Depending on how much time you feel like investing, extract all the references from the relevant Solomon Kane stories and see what powers are attributed to the staff in those additional sources.

Well, if someone else wants to do some historical research and feed it back to me then I will glady make changes. I unfortunately do not have the time to take that on right now. Especially since they may not be real historical references. In regards to the staff, not the people. Where he seems to be going with that description makes me think almost any biblical or mythological event could be attributed to the staff.

Back