Conan in other game systems

Is anyone using other game systems for Conan games?
I have the Conan Atlantean Edition of the game, yet I cannot stand the 3e rules system (despite being one of the playtesters/contributors), so I use it mainly as a source of inspiration.
Actually, I have devised a set of house rules for the AD&D 1e system by using the above book, the old CB1, CB2 and RS1 modules, the old TSR Conan RPG game (from which many many ideass were used in the new game), and the GURPS Conan book.

So, what are your experiences?

Cheers,
Antonio

I had the old Conan rpg (long ago). I seem to remember that it got a slating when it was reviewed in White Dwarf but I bought it anyway. And I liked it, you know? We had a few good, savage romps through Hyboria with it.

I also ran RQ3 in Hyboria. I made sure that not just anyone and everyone from having magic - shamen, priests and sorcerers only.

What I haven't tried is Mongoose's Conan d20. And I don't think I will. But I am looking the new RQ product...

As surprising as it may be, I saw that some force power in Star Wars (D6) are very similar to sorcery spells I read in Conan. Though I didn't use this system yet to play Conan with I am sure there rules are perfect for heroic/epic adventures.

Conan RPG by Cook published by TSR. Excellent system, recommended. Not d20, uses no abilities just lists of Talents, and a single resolution table.

Makes up characters exactly the way you want them to be. No classes or levels.

I love the system and have made attempts to revive it.

http://talent.myfastforum.org

Just for those that are interested. I'm still working on it.

Conan RPG by TSR was interesting but unfinished (sorcery for example) and the combat system was quite limited. But granted, the talents and unique resolution table was a great improvment.

I'm not a huge fan of the d20 system (especially as a GM) but the info and flavor of Mongoose's Conan is great. I recently picked up a copy of Green Ronin's True20 rules and it is a vast improvement over regular d20. Converting isn't a terrible ordeal since the systems are fundamentally the same. However, I'm pretty bored with constantly converting systems (am I really that picky or does anyone else feel the same way?) and would love to see Mongoose publish a RuneQuest Conan...then I wouldn't have to convert. Gotta love BRP!

Also, Mongoose should wrest the rights for Stormbringer from Chaosium!

Nice to hear from you, guys!

Actually, I found the TSR Conan system to be really good, fast and furious fun. I also liked the sorcery rules. I do not think they were "incomplete". They were just "loose", so that each GM might taylor them to his/her campaign. I had real fun GMing campaigns under this system. Character creation was fast, action resolution too. And the GM was really free to concentrate on the story rather than rules. "Role" instead of "Roll" playing.
Sure, it was not perfect, but the system was overall so easy and open, that everyone could add house rules. Much more simple to add rather than remove rules from a gaming engine (that's why I dumped 3e).

Cheers,
Antonio

One word: RuneQuest.

I've been using it for my Hyborian campaign ever since GURPS Conan was released.

IME, you don't really need conversions for anything. Use the RuneQuest rules like you always do, and add the Conan material for background.

Elric/Stormbringer should work at least equally well, probably even better.

Never played RuneQuest, I am looking forward to see how the system works. The experience with another skill-based system, GURPS Conan, was good. I hope it will be the same for RuneQuest.

Cheers,
Antonio

Mark Dunder said:
Conan RPG by Cook published by TSR. Excellent system, recommended. Not d20, uses no abilities just lists of Talents, and a single resolution table.

Makes up characters exactly the way you want them to be. No classes or levels.

I love the system and have made attempts to revive it.

http://talent.myfastforum.org

Just for those that are interested. I'm still working on it.

This link seems dead? Are you still working on reviving the old Conan game?

I also find the D20 system pretty annoying. I've running a campaign with the old TSR system a couple of years ago and it worked pretty well, although the game seemed quite unfinished.
I'm currently using a homebrew version of Chaosium BRP, mostly based on the Elric/Stormbringer 5 rules but the new Runequest is pretty good too.
The major flaw in the Chaosium system is that abilities and skills are pretty much unrelated, but it's not a great hinderance and the game runs rather smoothly.
I posted a summary of my rules somewhere on this forum:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22669&highlight=

My next campaign, after I finish my current D&D one, will be Conan again. But I'll be using a version of the d20 rules still, as my group is more likely to play using this system since we've been using it the last 4 years or so.

As for rules systems, I am toying with either the Game of Thrones RPG or the Black Kingdoms RPG from Green Ronin Publishing (this is how some of the Conan rules should have been implemented IMO).

TSR's Conan game is something I played once, and didn't enjoy at all. GURPS Conan is okay. I love GURPS, but for some reason it just doesn't 'work' for Conan, to me.

Before I got Mongoose's Conan RPG, I actually used Decipher's CODA system (Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game) for Hyborian brutality. It's a great, fun system -- for Middle-earth gaming -- but I truly feel Mongoose's effort is the best one can get, or almost so. I have considered importing the idea of orders and advancements instead of levels into Conan from CODA, because of all the things in d20, I hate the static classes (including the huge power jumps they cause) the most.

I've been tinkering with Conan GURPS. Excellent stuff. The best part, IMO, is that a character isn't "proficient" with weapons he doesn't have ranks in, so a barbarian from Cimmeria might not know how to use a bow. Or how to ride. The magic system is sweet too.

Currently working to update it to 4th ed.

The best part, IMO, is that a character isn't "proficient" with weapons he doesn't have ranks in, so a barbarian from Cimmeria might not know how to use a bow. Or how to ride. The magic system is sweet too.

That's easy to do with Conan, though. Just import the idea of Weapon Groups instead of across-the-board proficiency. So you might have 'Cimmerian Weapon Group' including broadswords, spears, axes -- or a 'Poitainian Weapon Group' including lances, broadswords, greatswords -- and so forth.

It's a cool concept, though I've yet to use it in Conan (I have used it in other d20 games, and it works well).

Back