Conan - 3.0 Ruleset

A

Anonymous

Hi,

It seems to me that Conan was built use the 3.0 rules? Am I seeing things correctly? I'm just curious.

Nick

I meant in comparison to 3.5 - just an observation.

Nick

Indeed, it certainly has aspects to the game that don't appear in 3.0 or 3.5. I'd call it 3.Conan

I am curious as to whether some of the standard mechanics from 3.x were included (AoOs, etc etc)

Yeah, I'm assuming the rules will be based on 3.0, but will be modified to capture the Conan feel - especially when it comes to combat. Has anyone read the Swashbuckling Adventures rpg book? I know it's a completely different genre, but that rpg introduced some very specialized combat feats to the d20 game. It was (in my opinion) some very good and creative material. I'm hoping the Conan rpg will be even better!

I'm mostly a fan of older versions of D&D but I do own 3E core rulebooks and have thumbed through them somewhat. I'll probably use material in the Conan game in my older rules system, but I have thought about trying 3E again and don't know if I should bother to buy the 3.5 rule books.

Could anyone briefly tell me the differences between 3 and 3.5?

http://www.enworld.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=5

Scroll down to Olgar's document

CR

Wow! Thanks for the link! :D

If I thought that 3E was rules-heavy, I'm really amazed at how big the changes are from 3E to 3.5. I was under the impression the 3.5 was just a minor overhaul, but that Word doc turns out to be 36 pages in length!

I had no idea so much had changed. :shock:

Yeah when they went from 3.0 to 3.5 they cleaned up some things which made no sense in 3.0 (the exotic weapon profenicies for weapons with a race's name in it and the ID spell) and managed to set up a few other things as possibly broken so when enough people write in about it they can point to that and say "See, we need to do 4.0 after all".

I don't think Wizards has wrecked D20 (like so many others have) but if they keep going the market will dry up.

8)
It seems that allot of the feats such as power attack and greater weapons specialization and focus seem to be based on 3.5. The classes and magic system are jsut different. Could say classes design similar to both. Dave

IMO Conan is more 3.5 then 3.0 but its also its own beast.

I like the fact that it is OGL instead of d20. Not needing a PHB is nice. I have it but I dont like that you need it to play other games.

The changes from 3.0 to 3.5 are mostly clean up rules that should have been made in the first place.

Where Conan and D&D use the same rules, it is the 3.5 version that is used, AFAICT. For example, Conan uses the 3.5 Survival and Sleight of Hand rather than the 3e Wilderness Lore and Pick Pocket. The Skill Focus feat is +3 instead of +2. The combat action types use the 3.5 texts (note the lack of partial action terminology). And Harm gets a save...just kidding. :lol:

Red Tulwar said:
Yeah, I'm assuming the rules will be based on 3.0, but will be modified to capture the Conan feel - especially when it comes to combat. Has anyone read the Swashbuckling Adventures rpg book? I know it's a completely different genre, but that rpg introduced some very specialized combat feats to the d20 game. It was (in my opinion) some very good and creative material. I'm hoping the Conan rpg will be even better!

Excellent game, but nobody wants to play it. Most of my gaming group likes their games to be in a tech level representing somewhere between 1000-1350 AD, rather than rapier-wielding, flintlock-toting swashbuckling. Doesn't help that pages are falling out of the book, either.

Anonymous said:
I was a playtester. Conan was based on 3.5.
Perhaps you can answer a question, then. One of the 3e holdovers I noticed in Conan was the -1 penalty to Swim checks per 5 pounds of gear carried. Why was the 3.5 version not used (penalty is twice armour check penalty)?

Funny... I thought I had read somewhere in my copy of the book that when swimming you simply doubled the armor check penalty and encumbrance penalty as in 3.5?

See page 106, second column under special.

SS

sanseveria said:
Funny... I thought I had read somewhere in my copy of the book that when swimming you simply doubled the armor check penalty and encumbrance penalty as in 3.5?

See page 106, second column under special.

SS
Look at the Swim skill itself? Not a bad idea. I see that the skill is 3.5, but what about all those -1 per 5 pounds statements under Weapon and Armor Proficiencies for each class? That was the source of my question. I plan to run it like the skill says (3.5 D&D) rather than -1 per 5 pounds.

Back