Computer Implant For MT2e

heron61

Banded Mongoose
I remember reading about the Computer Implant in JTAS #22, far too many years ago, and it occurred to me to try creating an updated version. My goal was to create something that isn't overwhelming (which the JTAS version was), but is also somewhat better that any of the related, but substantially cheaper augmentations like a Neural Comm, a Wafer Jack, or a Complex Cranial Processing Unit all from the CSC). What do people think?

This augmentation consists of a powerful but tiny computer that is deeply integrated with the user’s brain and nervous system. This system provides all the benefits of both a TL 14 Neural Comm and a Wafer Jack (CSC, p. 91), except that the implanted computer is Computer/5, and it has 10 slots for wafer jack programs. It also provides a variety of other benefits. It gives the user a perfect photographic memory for all events that occur after installing this implant. In addition, these enhanced memory, combined with general enhancements to the speed and clarity of the user’s thoughts provides a +1 bonus to all checks using INT or EDU. In addition, the user can instantly perform any mathematical calculations they can imagine, providing users with an additional +1 bonus to all skills that make use of complex calculations, including Astrogation, Science (physics), and any Gambling checks involving games with complex probabilities, like card games. In addition, the user also gains a +1 to all uses of the Electronics skill because they can connect directly to sensors, remotely piloted drones, and computers. Also, reduce the timeframe (Traveller, p. 60) by one increment for all tasks that are either purely mental (like performing an Astrogation calculation) or that only involve reading or on-line activity, like hacking a computer, making a sensor reading, or performing research using a data network.

Finally, the user can also choose to use their Computer Implant to perform purely mental actions, like holding a conversation over a data network, composing a speech, performing complex calculations, or hacking a computer, while also being able to perform any other mental or physical action. Used in this fashion, the user gains all the benefits provided by the Computer Implant to the purely mental task, and can also use wafer jack programs to further improve these rolls, but cannot use any innate bonuses due to high INT or EDU on these checks. Also, any other checks the user makes while performing these purely mental actions gain no benefit at all from the Computer Implant, and cannot use wafer jack programs to enhance these checks.
Computer Implant – TL 15 – Cost: 2 MCr

It's too high tech. It shouldn't appear later than TL 12.
Yes, I know it means reducing the computer rating below 5.

Otherwise I like it.

Jame Rowe said:
It's too high tech. It shouldn't appear later than TL 12.
Yes, I know it means reducing the computer rating below 5.

Otherwise I like it.
The Complex Cranial Processing Unit in the CSC is TL 14, as is the full data Neural Comm, so I could make a case for the Computer Implant being TL 14, but less than that seems (to me at least) to be pushing things a bit.

Back