Combat Manoeuvres and Creatures

I'm slowing getting the hang of the Runequest II system. One thing which we've really been having trouble with is handling Combat Maneuvers (sorry switching to American English here...) when facing creatures.

A creature like a dragon or wyrm isn't likely to be parrying with its thick armor. However, I've been finding it unsatisfying that as a result there is guaranteed to be at least one CM available on every single hit. This system makes some sense when dealing with a humanoid opponent where not trying to counter a blow seems to allow for some precision. But it seems... odd... that, for example, the PCs can effectively guarantee always hitting the same hit location.

I'm getting close to implementing the Chaosium BRP system whereby you have three success levels (Critical, Special, and Success) where a Critical or Special success may, depending on your opponent, give you some benefit while a regular success is always just that, a regular success. But I'd really like to try using the rules as written if I can. The option rule of giving an opponent a +10% to attacks vs. those who use the same maneuver is helpful, but of less utility when facing an epic beastie. Usually the beast is going to hit and the PCs best hope is to be able to parry, deflect, or dodge the blow.

Are there other options I should consider? Anyone else experience this?

(The irony being in my D&D games most combats were against humanoids but my MRQ2 Vinland saga game has had a lot of fantastic opponents).

Hello,

First, I would allow the large beast to parry (see the Formidable Natural Weapons ability). I interpret parrying in MRQII as avoidance: a combination of blocking, deflecting and dodging opponents blows. Evade, on the other hand, is a desperate lunge to get out of a the target zone.

So parrying could be, for example, a PC attacks the dragon and GM says:"you thrust with your spear, but the dragon rears up sweeping the air with its talons, you are forced to duck as you try and land a blow."

Second, don't forget the rules for reach. A PC must use a long weapon or risk getting up close and personal with a Dragon in order to land a blow on the creature itself (in these cases, the limb etc that is attacking may always be counter-attacked, so strikes to the head are possible if the dragon attempts a bite attack).

I think the scope for manoeuvres is in the interpretation. Don't undersell powerful opponents!

Antalon

Yeah a creature like a dragon definitely can parry, but with just two combat maneuvers... That said I think the reach rules may be important in this case... Thus far I'd not been using them but we have an encounter with a wyrm next week and I don't want it to be an easy victory. I'd like there to be some hero points burned to survive the encounter. :D

Remember that if a creature can fly (and has the facility to do so), it likely will attempt fly-by attacks.

These can be devastating to ground-based targets. A quick whap with a claw stuck out by a passing dragon (or a wyrm's tail-slap) will ruin most peoples' day.

Back