Clockwork & Chivalry for RQII

I'm looking forward to checking out this setting and hopefully running the campaign.

Brilliant - we are very proud of it - it's packed full of gritty situations, bleak humour and epic threads - we have had a blast playtesting - we hope you like it too :D

When's the PDF coming out?

Very soon I hope - we are waiting for our distributors/publishing partners Cubicle 7 to put it on Drivethru - The Alchemist's Wife should go up at the same time as the Core Rulebook pdf and there is no reason Thou Shalt Not Suffer shouldn't be released soon after as it's in the bag - we will put a shout out the minute it goes up

Long Live the Mainspring!
Peter Cakebread

Cakebread and Walton
Purveyors of Fine Imaginings

The Core book is now available for purchase with a complimentary pdf here:

http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Products/CB76100

The Alchemist's Wife is officially out in stores and also available for purchase with a complimentary pdf here:

http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Products/CB76101

Thou Shalt Not Suffer is available for pre-order (with an advance complimentary pdf available before physical release upon order) here:

http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Products/CB76102

and No Man's Land is available for pre-order here:

http://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Products/CB76103

As soon as the pdfs become available for sale in their own right, on Drivethru, I will post the news (unless someone else gets there first),

Peter Cakebread

Cakebread & Walton

I've been reading through the Core Rule Book and I really like the setting details. I was a little disappointed that there weren't any illustrations in the Clockwork section, though. Detailed schematics aren't necessary, but a rough sketch of things like Iron Horses, Leviathans, etc. would have been nice.

Hi Redcrow,
I really like the setting details

Cool :D

a little disappointed that there weren't any illustrations in the Clockwork section, though

Well, on the one hand we are a tiny company and, considering that, we have a lot of original art in all our books and do try our best to make sure the book is ready for release and looking good to go.

But yeah, it would have been nice to have lots of the Clockwork kit illustrated too. (We weren't prepared to release pics that we weren't 100% happy with). There is an existing sketch of the Leviathan - rough and ready but a Leviathan nonetheless. We had put it with the Dragon of Naseby adventure for Signs and Portents 83 - but there wasn't enough space for it to be included. I will chat to Ken about putting it on our own website in the downloads section (probably won't be for a week or two though, sorry) - it does give an idea of shape and scale, although our artists will no doubt have palpitations if they see it.

We also did wonder whether a Clockwork Supplement might be on the cards for the future (we have the Kingdom and Commonwealth releases fairly lined up - it will depend on whether that is what people want) - in which case it will need extensive illustration - we wouldn't release such a book without it being full of original art. I am also in dialogue with a pro mini painter who I have asked to scratch build a model Leviathan for us - if he does I will post pics asap. So budgets/demand allowing, we will try to address this. Also look out for future S&P articles - I am sure over time some will add to the Clockwork portfolio :)

All feedback is noted (good and bad),

Peter Cakebread

Cakebread & Walton

doomedpc said:
We also did wonder whether a Clockwork Supplement might be on the cards for the future (we have the Kingdom and Commonwealth releases fairly lined up - it will depend on whether that is what people want) - in which case it will need extensive illustration - we wouldn't release such a book without it being full of original art. I am also in dialogue with a pro mini painter who I have asked to scratch build a model Leviathan for us - if he does I will post pics asap. So budgets/demand allowing, we will try to address this. Also look out for future S&P articles - I am sure over time some will add to the Clockwork portfolio :)

A Clockwork Supplement would be great and certainly a must have for me. So far I really like what I've seen of the game and the core rule book alone has sparked a ton of ideas for adventuring in the setting. I'm really excited to see what else you come up with and can't wait to check out the campaign scenarios.

A Clockwork Supplement would be great and certainly a must have for me. So far I really like what I've seen of the game and the core rule book alone has sparked a ton of ideas for adventuring in the setting. I'm really excited to see what else you come up with and can't wait to check out the campaign scenarios.

Brilliant! Work continues apace at the Cakebread and Walton cog factory - finished an article for next month's Signs and Portents (having had a month off for the current issue, although there is an outline in there of some of our plans for the series) and the writing/artwork for No Man's Land has begun in earnest.

As ever we are happy to field any queries and are always interested in what articles people would like to see for the setting.

Peter Cakebread

Cakebread & Walton

Clockwork and Chivalry PDFs now Available

The Clockwork and Chivalry Core Worldbook and The Alchemist's Wife adventure are now available as PDFs from RPGNow/DriveThru.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=84078&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=54&affiliate_id=169435

http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=84079&affiliate_id=169435

Peter Cakebread

Cakebread & Walton

I'm brewing a longer review, but quite simply in my opinion Clockwork and Chivalry is the best British Fantasy setting since WHFRP 1st ed.

Its more fantastic than fantasy, there are no orcs, using the supersistions of the time as a basis for the magic in the game. It uses the MRQ2 framework to good effect, without being constrained by it. I could quite happily use this book with another gamesystem. Looking forward to the campaign adventures popping up in print, since the introductory adventure adequately whets the appetitie for more.

A must buy if you like historical games or are looking for a fantasy game that is different from your run of the mill orcs and dungeons fare.

Newtus said:
I'm brewing a longer review, but quite simply in my opinion Clockwork and Chivalry is the best British Fantasy setting since WHFRP 1st ed.

Now that's a bold and intriguing statement! :) I'm very much on the fence regarding MRQ2. Good, well-edited settings and supplements could be the tipping point for me. Typos don't bother me too much, but messed up or missing rules, or missing sections, etc. do. I'm interested in Clockwork & Chivalry and in the forthcoming Wraith Recon, but I am definitely awaiting reviews before making any decision to purchase.

Colin

Radioactive Ape Colin said:
Now that's a bold and intriguing statement! :) I'm very much on the fence regarding MRQ2...
Glorantha isn't a British Fantasy setting, and RuneQuest isn't a setting at all.

PhilHibbs said:
Now that's a bold and intriguing statement! :) I'm very much on the fence regarding MRQ2...
Glorantha isn't a British Fantasy setting, and RuneQuest isn't a setting at all.

I know; I'm familiar with RQ's history and the Glorantha setting (been gaming since '83, freelanced on about 40 RPG publications, and currently run my own ENnie- and Indie-nominated small press company). I don't however, have any interest in running Glorantha under RQ2, and didn't mention it at all (nor did Newt, least of all in regard to it being "British") so I'm not entirely sure why you brought it up? I'm not trying to be confrontational, by the way; I'm genuinely puzzled why you brought up Glorantha and how it isn't British when neither Newt nor myself did, and why you mentioned that RQ2 "isn't a setting" when neither of us implied it was a setting either.

Newt's statement was an intriguing one because WFRP1e was a brilliant RPG and setting (by GW, a British company) and he was comparing C&C (by Cakebread & Walton, also British) to that. I have no interest in RQ2 as a standalone generic ruleset, but if C&C or WR are good, they could very well be the tipping point for me in terms of buying RQ2. Hence my "being on the fence".

I hope that's clearer?

Colin

I don't however, have any interest in running Glorantha under RQ2, and didn't mention it at all (nor did Newt, least of all in regard to it being "British") so I'm not entirely sure why you brought it up?
The "bold and intriguing statement" was about British fantasy settings, and your reaction seemed to be interpreting this as a comparison with the recent Mongoose publications. Apologies if I misinterpreted.

No worries, mate.

I just hope Newt hurries up and gets the review out there; I want to know why C&C is the best British setting since the late, great WFRP1e. :)

Colin

Same here ;)

BTW, is that you again? It's been a while since we ran into each other on the fora... most likely due to my hiatus, I expect.

And even more amusing, I'm on the Mongoose forum not due to MRQ2, but rather because of Clockwork and Chivalry + Elric. :)

Tamerlin said:
Same here ;)

BTW, is that you again? It's been a while since we ran into each other on the fora... most likely due to my hiatus, I expect.

And even more amusing, I'm on the Mongoose forum not due to MRQ2, but rather because of Clockwork and Chivalry + Elric. :)

It's always me. ;) I've been putting a lot of energy into R.A.D. so I don't get around to forum lurking and posting as much any more either.

Apart from C&C I'm intrigued by the forthcoming Wraith Recon, as I noted, but I wonder if it'll have its own bestiary content (in terms of enemy species, warbeasts, guard beasts, etc.) or if it'll be reliant on Monster Coliseum. Come to think of it, will we need to post about it here in the RQ2 forum (which'll be its ruleset) or in the Wraith Recon forum?

Colin

It's always me. ;) I've been putting a lot of energy into R.A.D. so I don't get around to forum lurking and posting as much any more either.

I think I would have been more surprised if you did NOT turn up here ;)

Apart from C&C I'm intrigued by the forthcoming Wraith Recon, as I noted, but I wonder if it'll have its own bestiary content (in terms of enemy species, warbeasts, guard beasts, etc.) or if it'll be reliant on Monster Coliseum. Come to think of it, will we need to post about it here in the RQ2 forum (which'll be its ruleset) or in the Wraith Recon forum?

Wraith Recon does sound pretty interesting, and I'll at least check it out when it's available.

And that is a good question -- and maybe also a good reason to give Glorantha its own forum. That might also help to promote Glorantha as a setting for RuneQuest alongside Clockwork, Deus Vult, Wraith Recon and Conan (one can hope, right?), and break away from the RuneQuest = Glorantha misconception.

Not that I have anything against Glorantha, mind you.

Anyway... good to "see" you again :)

I picked this up and am about 1/4 of the way through the setting book.

It is at least good. The setting really does remind me a lot of Warhammer thanks to the period setting. The big difference is that there are a lot fewer outre elements, and more focus on the humans.

The big references to Warhammer are the careers. There are a ton of parallels (but sadly, no Rat Catcher).

And there is this cold war paranoia thing, and a bunch of people caught in the middle who are going just a bit crazy.

The little touches I notice regarding the system make me think the writers are doing exactly the kind of things I would want to do:

1. They ditch most of the magic systems, keeping a heavily modded Common Magic. (I think I've banned Spirit Magic from every version of Runequest so far. )

And the adventures and campaign are NPC focused. The characters are reasonably memorable (with a tendency toward crazed, eccentric, and not that cartoonish evil crap you get in D&D.)

So yeah, I can see someone making the "best British setting since Warhammer."

Read the Signs and Portents adventures that have been posted. They really give you a feeling for the setting, and they convinced me to purchase.

Hi folks,

Just to let you know there is a Clockwork and Chivalry article in this months Sign's and Portents. The piece is all about running sieges in the Clockwork & Chivalry game – complete with details of historical sieges, the use of magick and clockwork in siege warfare, adventure seeds, new equipment and a random siege events table!

The free magazine can be downloaded from here - http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1946&qsSeries=13

Also Roleplayers Chronicle have written an extensive review of the Clockwork & Chivalry Core Worldbook,
which is available here - http://roleplayerschronicle.com/?p=785

Peter Cakebread

Cakebread & Walton

Back