Chthonian Stars POD?

Vargrz

Mongoose
I lost touch over the past 2 or 3 months.

Has anyone heard anything about Chthonian Stars ever being made available as a POD?

Seems a shame if the plans to do so were dropped! :(

What's with the yelling dude?

No, there is no news on the POD. The publishers had/have some kind of crisis (I don't remember the details). The second Traveller book and the new system line are all on hold and likely to be vaporware (I don't have any inside information, just being a pessimist since there hasn't been any updates indicating otherwise).

The first book is good though, get the PDF and have it printed or print it yourself.

Sorry.
Didn't mean to shout. :roll:

I just keep hoping to see the POD.

I looked into self printing, but it is problematic. The local print shops that do binding won't print without express permission from the copyright holder.

I'd love for more info about what has happened, but you are probably correct...we'll never see the POD and we'll never know why...

After a possible printing/Traveller/module deal with Mongoose fell through, the game has been renamed The Void and will be its own RPG. It's being written still before it will see print/PDF.

I too was hoping for a book.

I still don't see what the problem is with releasing the Traveller version in POD.

It was well received, and it doesn't seem it would interfere with their independent rule system for Void.

Vargrz said:
I still don't see what the problem is with releasing the Traveller version in POD.

It was well received, and it doesn't seem it would interfere with their independent rule system for Void.

Wildfire wants to provide a better book/game with more than just what CS had in it.

Besides, too many people are anti-tree when it comes to printing more books on this planet. So companies try to cater to those customers since they are the ones that play RPGs and have all the eBook, iPad, laptop gear. Printing a (quality made) book is no easy matter unless you own your own book press shop. POD books are not seen as quality made for the price to produce them.

Tell Wildfire about Kickstarter and see what happens? They still have to write the book first. And they have their real-life jobs that take up their time.

I suppose you are right about ebooks and PDFs.

I'm old school and still like the feel of paging through book. I know that I am archaic in that respect.

I do respect the desire to reduce the footprint of production. I guess it is time to get a digital reader of some sort.

Vargrz said:
I suppose you are right about ebooks and PDFs.

I'm old school and still like the feel of paging through book. I know that I am archaic in that respect.

I do respect the desire to reduce the footprint of production. I guess it is time to get a digital reader of some sort.

The thing is, tree farms are used to make paper still (as long of governments don't begin outlawing that, because it is easier for them to control the Internet than a printing press). But college kids and the media don't want you to know that. I even see and hear some book publishers describing their books as "dead tree" products. But they don't offer PDFs, so they are kind of shooting themselves in the foot if printing books is their business. People are becoming afraid to say the word "book", like it's a bad word. Makes you wonder what they're teaching in schools these days.

Anyway, I'm a book person. I don't buy PDFs (except for the T5 beta on CD). If an RPG is only PDF, I can live without the game.

Welcome to the fringe. join us at the far edges of society. The regions polite people don't like to talk about. The place where people who just don't fit in with the rest come to meet others who also share such old fashioned and frankly weird ideas.

Welcome to the place where (glances around and starts to whisper) "Book Readers" meet :shock:

So many these days are taught to hate and fear the printed word. The mob has been programmed to distrust that which is written on paper. The newspapers have removed all detail or fact and now pander to sound bites and celebrity news. History is digital so the rulers can "edit" it to remove those annoying little details like facts and the truth.

Printed paper cannot be rewritten. Books once made last many years and could be used to pass information from one generation to the next. Books teach and inform. People who read books are classed as intellectuals, free thinkers, radicals. Book readers think for themselves, learn for themselves, deny the company/government truth.

Soon the book burnings will return. Soon those few who "Read Books" will be driven underground along with any others who share such old fashioned attitudes. Those who dare to be different, those who dare to read and learn, those who Imagine. Those who do not conform! They will be dealt with.

Book readers, Role players, Beware. Hide your books. Meet in secret. Hide from the eyes of your neighbours lest you hear the knock of the thought police in the early hours. Your thought crime, to be different, to think differently, to threaten the whole with your outlandish ideas.

Role playing book readers, the future draws near and it does not look good :shock:

Speaking as one of those "Old Fashioned" book reading weirdo’s who likes nothing better than to hold a book, turn the pages, smell the new or ancient paper, hear the crinkle of the paper and delight in the physical sensation of holding a good book I'm with several of you.

They will take my physically printed Role Playing Books from my cold dead fingers :wink: :lol:

LMAO...I'm with you brother,

Give me a Printed copy or give me death!!!

If someone wants my money they better come up with a hard copy or forget it.

Everyone I game with has book readers. They all use print books when we play. Most of the people I game with now are 18 to 20 years old.

I'm moved to tears by the outpouring of support for the printed word!

Old school gamers apparently still exist!

Of course we exist and proud of it to.

These new fangled PDFs are all well and good for a laptop holding every traveller book I may ever need at a game but that is for reference.

Its the books that are used to play.

Olde school, grumpy, curmudgeonly, set in my ways and all that I may be (well am in fact) but what fills my normally cold black heart with the tiniest flickers of joy is to find that the new gamers, the youngsters, mere children scarcely old enough to role dice (you know the teens and twenties types) are drawn to the printed page.

Table top role playing is about more than just photons on a screen. Dice, miniatures, battle mats, maps, player handouts, character sheets. They are all tactile, physical. We hold them and they are part of our games.

I despair when I see surveys like the one a few years ago that say that the average household in the UK has less than 30 books. 30 BOOKS. Ye gods and other dark powers. That must mean I have hundreds of households worth of books. :shock:

Bricks and Mortar is a great scheme, POD is a great scheme. PDFs are an accessory, they can enhance the book, add to its wonderful physical print (and allow me to keep copies at work ). Rules that are just PDFs is an evil plot, what next. Mind control, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Soylent Green. :shock:

Errors and errata are just part of the game. We can complain the print is wrong and remark at how handy it is that PDFs can be so easily edited but look beyond the bright and the shiny. Your rules, your games, those PDFs, can be changed beyond recognition and you can do nothing about it. No one can change your books!

A book is forever. A PDF is for as long as your computer is working, your hard drive hasn’t crashed, the files haven’t become corrupted, there is a power brown out, your monitor has failed etc etc etc.

Technology fails. Trust the printed Book. 8)

Note there may be a tiny bit of sarcasm in this post :wink: :lol:

Captain Jonah said:
I despair when I see surveys like the one a few years ago that say that the average household in the UK has less than 30 books. 30 BOOKS. Ye gods and other dark powers. That must mean I have hundreds of households worth of books. :shock:

I overheard a young child and her dad in the books section of the local WHSmiths a few months ago.

The kid was bothering her dad for a book, it looked to be a silly pink princess book, but nonethelss, the kid wanted a book.

Her father's reply:

"You've got too many books"

I think that unlikely, she may have too many silly childish books, she might need steered towards better books, but a doubt a child of that age can possibly have too many books.

Sometimes I despair for society.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
I overheard a young child and her dad in the books section of the local WHSmiths a few months ago.

The kid was bothering her dad for a book, it looked to be a silly pink princess book, but nonethelss, the kid wanted a book.

Her father's reply:

"You've got too many books"

I think that unlikely, she may have too many silly childish books, she might need steered towards better books, but a doubt a child of that age can possibly have too many books.

Sometimes I despair for society.

LBH
Well... I was an avid bookworm at prep school. Then I got moved to a grammar school with a less relevant library. Dealing with poor libraries put me back a number of years. These days I have sufficient books.

In other words... if you don't have enough books in childhood, then maybe you'll compensate for it in adulthood.

Kids that I've seen grow up with literally tons of baby/childrens books, even giving them away for newer old kid books, tend to be avid readers at least (whether it be books or Nooks.)

I was a substitute high school teacher when I was in Grad school.

The first year or so I worked, I'd ask, 'How many of you have never read a book cover to cover?" Sadly 2 or 3 hands would go up. Then I'd ask, "Who has read 1, 2...5..." and so on, until I would ask, "How many have read more books than they can count?" Again, 2 or 3 fell into this last category. There was sort of a bell curve. This was in the early 80's.

By the mid 90's, I again had occasion to be around high school students. I tried the above line of inquiry. To my dismay, I would often discover that out of 30, 27 had never read a book cover to cover! The three remaining had still read more than they could count.

As an old time gamer, I keep hoping to that things like Chthonian Stars will go to print. I think whoever said he would not buy games that only come out in PDF has a great idea. Perhaps over time the publishers will catch on.

Back