Chthonian Stars POD?

I have no problems with technology. Well I am an IT consultant and I play Traveller so it’s a bit hard to be anti Technology . But I still think books have a place in table top RPGs. I play online, WOW, WOT and a few more besides. But I don’t have the same fond memories of them that I have with Pen and Paper games.

The whole, remember that raid when we wiped six times just doesn’t compare to remember when we cleared out the Keep on the borderlands with a whole party of first levels and no cleric.

PDFs are good in that they are easy to transport to games and you can cram a load of books into a laptop or pad. BUT I see them as replacing that 15Kilo bag of books that you need to cover all the rules expansions so you can just take a few core printed books with you.

There is something about a game played from laptops or pads. Maybe its just me but some of the imagination, the immersion, perhaps even some of the magic of pen and paper RPGs is lost if you get rid of the pen and paper.

Kindle books are now outselling printed ones for the first time ever.

Is that a sign that Kindle is replacing books or as I suspect is it a sign that while the numbers of Kindles and ebooks being published is going up the number of printed books being sold is going down a lot faster.

We are in the second decade of the twenty first century current calendar. Science and technology is developing at such a rate that science fiction writers and games are having trouble keeping up. The technology listed for games five or ten years ago now looks to be hopelessly old fashioned.

We approach a singularity. Almost certainly in our lifetimes. Those born now accept current technology as perfectly normal. Those born 10 years ago adapt fast enough to keep up. Those born 20 years ago have to work to keep up with the changes and the speed of those changes. 30 year olds are falling behind. 40 year olds struggle. 50+ year olds give up on many tech functions because they cannot understand them.

This isn’t everyone, there are plenty of older people who can understand and keep up. But as the pace of growth continues those who can keep up become less and less.

Schools with laptops or pads on every desk. The initiative to issue every child with a pad containing all of their course work. Children’s stories on Kindle or pad or laptops or the idiot box.

Those of my generation saw the introduction of PCs. I started in IT before the Apple 2s came out and spend several years supporting the good old 2s. Since then we have a generation that has gone from laptops to having PDAs, pads and phones with all the functionality of a computer. Now we have a generation that was born with and is growing up with the screen not the book.

Book shops are going out of business everywhere. Sales of printed books fall like a stone. The kindle claims it is replacing them.

But is it. As the numbers of people who have read books in any format falls. As the number of people who hold knowledge, learning and the ability to reference and remember facts diminishes and the number of people for whom Google is a verb increase. As less and less people learn or even have the ability to learn and more and more people will online reference data and trust in the often dubious “facts” they find there. Where will we be in another generation? Or even just ten more years.

So many young people these days cannot do even simple math with out calculators. Cannot use a library to find what they seek. Many have never held a reference book.

Printed Books are going the way of the dinosaurs.

Perhaps they are. But as a Dinosaur myself I will hang on to my books till the end and take consolation in the fact that the Dinosaurs lasted hundreds of millions of years where as the upright apes are no more than a blip on the timeline 8)

Captain Jonah said:
The whole, remember that raid when we wiped six times just doesn’t compare to remember when we cleared out the Keep on the borderlands with a whole party of first levels and no cleric.

Good old B2. Always figured clearing out the Caves of Chaos was needed more then clearing out the Keep myself.

lastbesthope said:
I overheard a young child and her dad in the books section of the local WHSmiths a few months ago.

The kid was bothering her dad for a book, it looked to be a silly pink princess book, but nonethelss, the kid wanted a book.

Her father's reply:

"You've got too many books"

I think that unlikely, she may have too many silly childish books, she might need steered towards better books, but a doubt a child of that age can possibly have too many books.

Sometimes I despair for society.

LBH

I'm a rude bastard, and probably would not have been able to resist commenting:

"There is no such thing as 'too many books'. What there are too many of is parents who have no respect for the way that books increase a child's grasp of the language, encourage the development of both the intellect and the imagination, and provide a way for a child to entertain himself/herself safely, without needing an adult hovering nearby. Children should be encouraged to read. And read. And read. And discuss what they're reading. And read some more. Even if it's something that the parent thinks is beyond them. Better to let them try, and discuss it with them, than discourage them from reading."

Two non-Traveller books I bought recently for RPGing were Eureka and Masks. Both by Engine Publishing. The next book I plan to buy is Traveller Prime Directive.

Chthonian Stars is finally in print, for you Traveller fans! We will be bringing POD copies of the book, full color hardcover and all awesome, to Gen Con. Not that many, mind you, so if you're interested, find us fast! Shortly after that debut, anyone can order from DriveThru RPG.

Mwahahahahahaha At last I shall get my hands one one, then my enemies shall....................

Oh sorry channelling Gengis khan there.

Good news. I'll make sure there is a spot on my traveller shelves for it.

Chthonian Stars is finally in print, for you Traveller fans! We will be bringing POD copies of the book, full color hardcover and all awesome, to Gen Con. Not that many, mind you, so if you're interested, find us fast! Shortly after that debut, anyone can order from DriveThru RPG.

Awesome! I'll order one now if I can. Just send me a link!

Vargrz said:

Awesome! I'll order one now if I can. Just send me a link!

POD won't be up until after Gen Con. Considering how long they have dragged their feet on this up to this point, I am still not holding my breath.

Treebore said:
POD won't be up until after Gen Con. Considering how long they have dragged their feet on this up to this point, I am still not holding my breath.
I have to say that as someone who dove right into CS, ran many sessions of the adventures at cons, and even tried to work with the company on such things as creating official fillable character sheets... I lost all interest in *buying* a hard copy. My PDF got printed out immediately and it has seen lots of use as well as the PDF on my Android Tablet & my HP Tablet PC.

I do wish the best of luck but this has become another "my money stays in my pocket" items.

-*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*-
Al B. [B-)
Listowner
FOR MGP MINIS: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/MGP-Minis-Aids (since 2012)
FOR TRAVELLER: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/MGT-Aids The Original, serving since Sept 2008
RIP_GG-DA_MASTER.png

Vargrz said:
I still want a hard copy.

I'm just old fashioned in that regard.

Me too, but not due to being old fashioned. I just find it much easier to flip back and forth looking for rules in a print book than scrolling back and forth on some digital reader. Drives me nuts on a reader.

Treebore said:
Vargrz said:
I still want a hard copy.

I'm just old fashioned in that regard.
Me too, but not due to being old fashioned. I just find it much easier to flip back and forth looking for rules in a print book than scrolling back and forth on some digital reader. Drives me nuts on a reader.
Personally I am just as old fashioned in this regard, but when I gave up on the POD version I spent the time and money getting the PDF printed out on my home printer and have been carrying it in a binder ever since (I forget how many cons I've run the adventures at with my own pregens).

But, since I'm getting tired of the RPG community in many ways I'm making the shift over to miniature games - teach more people way more fun and no putting up with people manipulating the session to be all about them (or deciding the first three hours of a four hour session is for me to entertain them before the 'game they really want to play' starts - disrupting the table when they hurriedly try to grab everything they had on the table and run over to their "real game". Add to that players getting loudly upset when they decide to go totally off the grid doing what they were briefed to NOT do, and when its anticlimactic (they weren't the 'solo hero') get extremely loud yelling how I suck as a GM (even though the rest of the group kept saying "dude we were told to *not* break into the target's office - what the hell are you doing?).

RPG's, good for your home group
Minis great for cons.

That is great news! I assume it is the Traveller version and not the "Void" version.

I hope it appears on Drive through RPG this week!

The main reason I prefer e-books over printed books for RPG material these days isn't ecology. It's clutter. I already have stacks of RPG books in my house that won't move; used bookstores won't buy them, libraries don't accept them as donations. They're like older editions of games or simply middling material I bought for reasons that elude me now.

I prefer buying RPG books on in ebook form because it won't take up huge amounts of weight and volume. If I actually play the game, I prefer in physical format. If I'm just mining it for ideas or using it literature, I prefer it ebook. As a result, the vast majority of my RPG purchases are ebook these days; I don't want to risk shelling out money for another RPG book that's just going to sit around.

I suppose if I bought RPG books to just mine for ideas I'd feel the same way, but I am happy to say I have played all but maybe 6 RPG's that I own. I hope to play even those some day, sooner rather than later. I have yet to play Twilight 2013, Wild Talents 2E, Cthulhu 6th Edition, Twilight Imperium, Game of Thrones (Green Ronin version) and Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Sooner or later I will get to play them, so am definitely glad I own print versions.

I now have a hard copy of Chthonian Stars!

As I have stated before I love printed copies of RPGs. Perhaps it is the memories of my first introduction to gaming in the late 70's and early 80's. I am just sentimental for good games and the good old days.

I see the inevitable trend toward ebooks, but I hope the pdf never completely replaces the printed word.

The book is simply one of the nicest I have seen! It is well edited with nice understandable text regarding the setting and the twist on the rules. The illustrations are great, the added resources (bestiary, ships, solar system data, and adventure suggestions) fantastic, and the mood setting fiction light and fun.

Whether you prefer pdf or print. I'd highly recommend this book for your Traveller library. It is a shame that things went south for Wildfire and Mongoose. It would have been nice to see additional supplements supporting this version. Since it took so long to get this Traveller version out, I am guessing it will only be "The Void" from here on out. So it goes...

Back