Childhood Reborn!

Wordmaker

Mongoose
Greetings everyone, I recently bought this game, and I'll never regret it. My dad handed me Flight From the Dark one day when I was sick, it had been his when he was in his teens. I wasn't even ten. That book started me down the gaming path, and now I've come full-circle. I will see this game run or die trying!

Incidentally, anyone have any thoughts on creating more generic "warrior" or "rogue" type classes? The absence of Feats makes a straight conversion from D&D tricky.

Well I have been working on alternative varients for the classes, like Knights of the White Mountain and the assasin (a NPC class only). I might start working on a mercenary character class aswell.

The best trick is to base it off an already existing one, and mod it from there. What I want to see is a Vakeros, but I am not confident enough to try that one.

[Edit - Typos fix]

Wordmaker said:
Greetings everyone, I recently bought this game, and I'll never regret it. My dad handed me Flight From the Dark one day when I was sick, it had been his when he was in his teens. I wasn't even ten.
Greetings Wordmaker and welcome to the boards. It's great to see a next-generation gamer. As I'm 32, I guess I'm nearer to your dad's age than yours, but hey, cheers from an old tart (gawd! I feel old sometimes).

Wordmaker said:
Incidentally, anyone have any thoughts on creating more generic "warrior" or "rogue" type classes? The absence of Feats makes a straight conversion from D&D tricky.
A good question, I think someone mentioned he was working on it, we should see something coming soon. That would make a great Signs & Portents article, btw. I'm still waiting from my copy (aargh!) so I cannot throw ideas around without putting my foot in my mouth so I'll leave it to others for now...

redlaco said:
Greetings Wordmaker and welcome to the boards. It's great to see a next-generation gamer. As I'm 32, I guess I'm nearer to your dad's age than yours, but hey, cheers from an old tart (gawd! I feel old sometimes). [...] I'm still waiting from my copy (aargh!) so I cannot throw ideas around without putting my foot in my mouth so I'll leave it to others for now...
Err ... what he said. On all accounts. :wink:

Paido

Signs and Portents would be a regular magazine published by Mongoose? Lone Wolf is my first Mongoose purchase, I've become a bit jaded with D20, having been saturated by it for so long (I started out on AD&D), but I just had to have Lone Wolf.

I have some ideas for converting some of the existing classes, such as a more land-based "Outlaw" class based on the Buccaneer. Generally, I'd say that the Buccaneer and Knight classes could be easily fit into characters of any nationality. So far in total I'm planning the following classes:

Outlaw (as above)
Noble (generic class for princes, lords, priests, etc.)
Martial Lord (similar to noble, but non-knight military man)
Adventurer (basic, all-round trouble-seeking wanderer)

Ideally, I'd like to write up the following:

Herbwarden (revision of a class I have already)
Vakeros
Lencian Crusader (basically identical to a Knight of the Realm?)
Ice Barbarian Scout
Sharnazim
Eruan Pathfinder (could double as a Sommlending Border Ranger)
Asajir Player
Merchant of Casiorn
Acolyte of Vashna (NPC only)

Ahem...

For those interested, I am almost finished with a 3.5 revamp of the Kai Lord. It seems to balance very well, and I have incorporated an option to use Spell-like abilities OR a variant based on the new Psionics Handbook.

- this wasn't an attempt to undermine August's awesome work, I'm simply trying to give my interpretation for those who were interested in such a conversion.

So, if you're interested, send me a PM with your email, and I should have it typed up by Saturday (I have to go see Riddick tomorrow night, I'm sure you understand :) Check it out, and let me know what ya think!

I like the suggestions so far. I'd also like to see a Sommerlending Ranger, like the poor unfortunates who got slaughtered in Chasm of Doom and maybe a Mercenary Hero, like the captain and his men from Kingdoms of Terror. They'd offer a straight Ranger and Fighter type character option.

G.

Back