Character classes in Stornlands

Zager Krahl

Mongoose
I hear that the Stornlands supplements will contain character classes - can anyone confirm this, and maybe post a list of the classes?

Also, previews?

The first Stornlands supplement will contain the Stornlands Assassin, a class that addresses all the Assassins Guilds of the Stornlands including the Assassins Guild of Rhem but also two other ones uncovered by Joe Dever.

Stornlands 2 will contain the Stornlands Mercenary, a complex class that will address all the Mercenary companies of the Stornlands. The disciplines of a Mercenary will vary according the nationality of the Mercenary (Lyrisian, Salonese...), but also his speciality and his race. For each type of Mercenary, one of the companies of the Stornlands active in MS 5000 will be detailed.

I'd be interested to see how they compare to my own classes, the Stornlands Mercenary and the Guild Assassin of Rhem. A nationality-based Discipline set is quite neat... *ponders*

Excellent! I hope these Stornlands books are as good as the Darklands is... unique character classes are one of LWM's strengths!

Hello everyone, I hope you will like Stornlands.

I can give you information about the character classes as I created them.

The Mercenaries share a set of 6 basic Disciplines. That's their common fighting background.
They also have a set of 4 basic Company's Disciplines to reflect the specialty of each group.

The Assassin is part creation, part adaptation from a d20 version made by one of my fellow.

Lastly, all classes can raise to Rank 20.

A 'Sage of Varetta' Character class will be appearing neither in Stornlands 1 nor in Stornlands 2, however the history of this order will be exhaustively detailed in Stornlands 2 (when was the order created, when were the Halls of Learning built, how did they learn to read the stars, who were their greatest enemies during history, the goals and the most important figures of the order, the youth of Gwynian...) as well as the Halls of Learning.

Zorkaan said:
A 'Sage of Varetta' Character class will be appearing neither in Stornlands 1 nor in Stornlands 2, however the history of this order will be exhaustively detailed in Stornlands 2 (when was the order created, when were the Halls of Learning built, how did they learn to read the stars, who were their greatest enemies during history, the goals and the most important figures of the order, the youth of Gwynian...) as well as the Halls of Learning.

Sounds like if we get that kind of detail it could be easy(ish) to put together a fanmade character class. Will have to read about them and decide what disciplines they have, etc.

Bleeding said:
Hello everyone, I hope you will like Stornlands.

I can give you information about the character classes as I created them.

The Mercenaries share a set of 6 basic Disciplines. That's their common fighting background.
They also have a set of 4 basic Company's Disciplines to reflect the specialty of each group.

The Assassin is part creation, part adaptation from a d20 version made by one of my fellow.

Lastly, all classes can raise to Rank 20.

At last, we finally get a more generic warrior type. I am really looking forward to both the Mercenary and the Assassin classes. Races eh? If there is not an Ogron Mercenary variant, I will certainly make one...

I really hope you'll enjoy the two supplements (the assassin will be in the first, the mercenary in the second) and, of course, the classes :)

I always loved the stornlands setting - it has a lot of grit and political nastyness, and I am a huge fan of city based adventures, so I am looking forward to this. :)

The Astrologer Sage of Varetta from my RPoL game: (still a WIP)
------------------------------------------------------
CC_Astrologer_01.gif

[Astrologer Sage of Varetta] - personal class, not yet submitted to S&P
- Tier II: ?
- Tier III: ?

Ranks:

Stats:
- CS: 5 +RNT (5-14)
- EN: 16 +RNT (16-25)
- WP: 20 +RNT (20-29)

Disciplines:

01. Meditation
- when at rest, Sage can meditate to clear his mind and refresh his mental fortitude
- when meditating undisturbed, Sage will regain 2WP per hour

02. Shielding Token
- can craft a token that will protect the wearer from harmful spells
- spend 2 hours + (X+1) WP to make a Shielding Token (X) Special Item
- when targeted by a spell that cost X WP or less to cast, token will absorb effects of spell instead
- each token can only be used once

03. Paraphernalist
- familiar with many arcane instruments and tools that allow his studies to be furthered
- when using any of the following instruments, the Sage will get a bonus to the related Discipline
a) Artificing Kit: reduce WP cost of "Shielding Token" and "Spell Focus" by 1 point
b) Telescope: reduce WP cost of "Astrology" by 1 point
c) Prism: doubles duration of "Astral Projection" and "Light Cantrip"
d) Alchemy Kit: can add +1 or -1 to rolled result when using "Silver Elixir"

04. Astrology
- know the position of the stars and how to navigate by them
- will never be lost at night as long as stars are visible; can always find North
- can spend entire night using the stars to predict a chosen Topic; spend 3 WP, and roll 1d10 at end of night of study (at least 4 hours)
- any time during the next day, if the Sage finds himself in a situation related to the Topic he studied, he will have to use the rolled d10 result
- can also be used to predict future of another, but only with their consent

05. Spell Focus
- can study magicks and spells of others, and replicate them using focus objects
- pick any ability (from self or party members) that uses X WP
- spend 2 hours + (X+1) WP to make a Spell Focus: _____ (X) Special Item
- once made, the Spell Focus will allow the/any user to cast the selected spell once, at no WP cost

06. Astral Projection
- by meditating, the Sage can project his essence from his body over some distance
- by spending 2WP per minute, the Sage can create an incorporeal version of his body
- actual body remains stationary and cut off from all input; incorporeal self can explore freely
- incorporeal self can pass through walls, doors, obstructions etc; cannot be damaged by normal means

07. Silver Elixir
- Sage has a number of alchemy skills, can brew arcane potions that harnass the mysterious power of the stars
- can spend 1 hour + 3WP, only at night, to brew a Silver Elixir potion (Backpack Item) - purpose of potion unknown until completed
- once the Silver Elixir has been brewed, roll 1d10 and consult the chart below:
0-0: Mild Poison (-2EP per hour, lasts 3 hours)
1-6: Health Potion (restores 3EP)
7-8: Combat Potion (gives +1CS for a single round)
9-9: Clarity Potion (restores 3WP)

08. Light Cantrip
- can summon a ball of light to illuminate area and also serve as weapon in emergency
- spend 1WP, summon ball of light that lasts 1 hour; circle of light equivalent to that of normal torch
- ball of light can fly/hover and follow path as commanded by Sage; cannot leave sight though
- can be thrown as ranged attack; provides no bonuses to CS or damage though

09. Ley Sense
- Sage has trained himself to be attuned to the ley lines of the land, and can trace them to places of power
- Sage can always detect ley lines; by following them, Sage will be able to find nearby places of power (temples, magic portals, etc)
- can also detect buried or submerged artefacts and treasure troves (this costs 1WP per attempt; radius of 100 yards)

10. Applied Studies
- Sage can study any subject for a measure of time, remembering every facet thereof via a simple spell
- can spend 2 hours + 2WP to study a Topic, given sufficient study material (books, scrolls, etc)
- after studying the Topic, the Sage gets a +half rank bonus on any Test relating to the Topic; lasts for number of days = half rank
- repeated studying of same Topic extends duration of bonus, not size of bonus
- can also study multiple Topics to get bonuses on different Topics

Starting Equipment:
- simple brown robes, cloak and simple shoes, belt with belt pouch, backpack
- roll 1d10 (10=0) and add 20 to get number of starting Gold Crown
- 2 from list:

- Quarterstaff (Weapon)
- Dagger (Weapon)
- Meal (Backpack Item, restores 3 EP when consumed)
- Rope (Backpack Item)
- Vial of Anti-toxin (Backpack Item)
- Potion of Laumspur (Backpack Item, restores 4 EP when consumed)
- Blanket (Backpack Item)
- Herb Pouch (Special Item, allows user to store up to 3 herbal or 2 potion Backpack Items)

Back