Character classes in Conan

J-Star

Mongoose
I was just wondering, if anyone knows, what the character classes will be in Conan. Obviously there's the barbarian class, and I've read about the scholar class, the one that develops into various types of priests and sorcerers. I'm guessing there will be some kind of thief or rogue class, and a class for a civilized warrior like the fighter. And oh, will there be anything even remotely close to the bard class, or at least some type of performer/entertainer?

What I'm particularly curious about is if the barbarian class will dominate combat the way the fighter class dominates D&D combat. I hate how that works... you have a character class that is, no matter how you develop it, a pure combat machine that the more interesting warrior classes, barbarians, paladins, and rangers, are simply no match for on even terms.

My personal feeling is that barbarians like Conan, rangers like Aragorn, and paladins like the Knights of the Round Table shouldn't be outclassed in a sword-fight by a combat-machine character class, and even the best warriors should be able to do more than just hack and slash.

The following is from a Q&A that Mr. Tucker did for conan.com.

"8, Will there be new character/prestige classes?

Yes, the full class list is: Barbarian, Borderer, Noble, Nomad, Pirate, Scholar, Soldier and Thief."

toothill man said:
someone who stays in a public school for meals and lodging ie harry potter :wink: :twisted: :lol:

You just explained all my years at collage. :lol:

I think that they are the equal to rangers.

Mythos said:
toothill man said:
someone who stays in a public school for meals and lodging ie harry potter :wink: :twisted: :lol:

You just explained all my years at collage. :lol:

I think that they are the equal to rangers.

Hmm, if so, a better term could've been picked, e.g., scout?

Yeah, scout would make sense. Soldier and Scout are actually 2 of the classes in WotC's own Star Wars RPG. Of course they're overshadowed by the Jedi classes, but in a fantasy game a solider-scout is my kind of character :)

Perhaps the Borderer breaks down into different sub-classes, like the Scholar. So you may still get your Scout.

I was in the playtest.

The Borderer is a scout or ranger. During the playtest there was fierce debate about the name of the class. The class name had to be a term REH used. Scout, though a REH term, was already a class from The Wheel of Time RPG. It came down to Borderer or Frontiersman. Borderer won out because Frontiersman made many envision the American West. I personally preferred Frontiersman.

I like Borderer. It has a lot of flavor. Keep on the Borderlands and all that. Does Conan have any Prestige Classes in the main book?

Two questions...

1) Without prestige classes, how do Scholars become priests and sorcerers and gain their magic abilities, etc?

2) Does the Barbarian class dominate combat like the Fighter class dominates D&D combat, or is there some balance between Barbarians, Borderers, Soldiers, etc?

J-Star said:
Two questions...

1) Without prestige classes, how do Scholars become priests and sorcerers and gain their magic abilities, etc?

2) Does the Barbarian class dominate combat like the Fighter class dominates D&D combat, or is there some balance between Barbarians, Borderers, Soldiers, etc?

1) By selecting a background option that determines the way they gain their magical skills and spells and the general flavour of their mastery of sorcery.

2) No. The barbarian is very good at combat, however, the soldier, borderer and pirate (as the three other 'front line' combat classes) all have their own advantages to balance against the barbarian.

Interesting. I'm not sure I would've guessed the Pirate was a "frontline combat" character class. Barbarian, Borderer, and Soldier, yes.

The Thief probably fills a similar role to the Dungeons & Dragons Thief or Rogue, and the Scholar we know has the magic and knowledge skills.

Where do the Noble and the Nomad fit in?

Noble is seen in Wheel of Time and Star Wars. It will be someone with social ability and resources (sorry for pointing out the obvious).

My guess a Nomad will be something like a Fringer. Similar to a Borderer but focussed more on the ability to survive in hostile places.

Ah yeah, I remember the Noble from the Star Wars RPG, so it's probably something similar in Conan.

Nomad similar to the Fringer? Might not be a bad guess.

hi all ! thanks for all your interesting comments + ideas !
-
the BORDERER / SCOUT class could be called -
' the WOODSMAN ' ?
-
in the early conan stories -
conan is described as being a skilled mountain-man + WOODSMAN !
-
simple - eh ?
-
keep up the great work mongoose + many thanks !
-
kisses from a buxom sorceress * * * :)

Should be interesting. I'd be especially interested in playing a Nomad. I've always liked playing survivalists.

Back