Captives of Kaag

That it is! I really hope you enjoy it.

That's the first of a series of bonus adventures, the second part to come in LW16. Have fun!

-A

Great news, can't wait to get mine.

For those who have the book, are there any obvious changes to the book from the previous version? Particularly the two or three 1 in 10 instant death paragraphs or whether you are now allowed to take the silver bracers and korlinium scabbard with you? (previously these items were left out of the list at the start of the book)

MongooseAugust said:
That it is! I really hope you enjoy it.

That's the first of a series of bonus adventures, the second part to come in LW16. Have fun!

-A

Does that mean we'll be carrying equipment over...?
{Excellent adventure, and I haven't even read it yet! There was me expecting Nyxator but I'm not disappointed.}

Had a quick flick/comparison:

The original 10 Special Items from Bks 1-12 may be carried over (Korlinium Scabbard, etc.) and the Grand Weaponmastery does allow you to take an extra proficiency slot per book completed as mentioned in Bk 13, it wasn't a typo! This was never mentioned in the original LW13-28. (Although it still says under the rules for Weaponmastery no CS lost for unarmed but -4CS elsewhere, e.g. Unarmed/ only with a Bow & Action Chart, sigh).

'62' Sommerswerd +16CS explained better.

'11/227' Flameshaft is still described as a Brotherhood spell but Magi-Magic under Improved Disciplines.

'240' Correction from 1st Edition - Kai-Screen option (not Kai-Surge). Thanks Mongoose!

'248' Two sections away from victory Instant Death on 9 remains.

MAP... No reclaimed Wasteland apparant and (shock horror) Helgedad not in Ruins! (Rimoah has recycled the old map from Bk12... :wink: )

Cool - mine should be here tomorrow (I hope - things seem to move a bit slower in Norfolk).

Looking forward to the book, one of my faves, and the bonus adventure!

Hey thanks for your detailed comparison SnowShadow!

Assume the big dragon creature with 48 CS, 52 EP is still unchanged? ITs not an unreasonable fight but looking to see whether any other adjustments have been made

Drake_NZ said:
Hey thanks for your detailed comparison SnowShadow!

Assume the big dragon creature with 48 CS, 52 EP is still unchanged? ITs not an unreasonable fight but looking to see whether any other adjustments have been made

Checked every section, didn't notice any CS/EP changes. Yes '281' Ice Dragon CS48 EP52, if that's the one you meant.

I just got Book 14 today. At first, when I got the books, I was glad. Now it's about 50/50 gladness/relief. From the outside looking in, the process appears so dysfunctional that I keep expecting the whole thing to come crashing down.

This book is 5 months past original stated release (and 3 months past Book 15's; originally slated for August). A June release was never going to happen as must have been blatantly obvious, to someone, long before June actually arrived. Yet, absurdly, it was listed as a June release even in early July. Multiple revised dates have been incorrect as well.

It's as if someone is just randomly picking months that have no chance of being successfully met and then just keep pushing it back on a monthly basis until it becomes correct.

I understand that the sequence of events to get a book out doesn't always go according to plan but I don't understand why keeping the community informed is such a hard process nor why when we are informed of something, it's usually wrong. It's disheartening to come to a site where falsehood has become the default expectation.

jolt

So is it the 'wrong' map/mistakenly printed from Bk12?

Should it have Helgedad in ruins and Reclaimed Wasteland like earlier editions?

Just wondering.

jolt said:
I don't understand why keeping the community informed is such a hard process nor why when we are informed of something, it's usually wrong. It's disheartening to come to a site where falsehood has become the default expectation.

jolt

Welcome to Mongoose, the new Palladium games. :shock: It'd be a perfect match up if only Matt was nasty to his customers! :wink:

Seriously, I feel your pain but Mongoose have always been like this regarding releases - as far as I can remember, so its unfortunately something you and I are going to have to put up with assuming we want their products.

Except, the initial megadeal was advertised as "1 book per month" or very close to it. If that had been the case, everyone would have the original 29 books in funky new hardcover, with practically 0 errors by now.

With that said, we have seen 1 per SEASON with errors, reprints and other shenanigans.

I was torn when the megadeal was announced, since I love Lonewolf, and like the new books BUT the price at the time (due to the exchange rate) was high, and there were absolutely no guarentees Mongoose would get all 32 books printed and shipped in my lifetime.

At this rate, it will be 2015 before all the books are released.

Vassagonian said:
Except, the initial megadeal was advertised as "1 book per month" or very close to it. If that had been the case, everyone would have the original 29 books in funky new hardcover, with practically 0 errors by now.

With that said, we have seen 1 per SEASON with errors, reprints and other shenanigans.

I quite agree. In my experience these types of deals never meet initial reports/plans and definitely not the majority of expectations.

The in fairness Megadeal was originally a book every 6-8 weeks (which is in no way an excuse for the ten months between 13 & 14). One per month was never gonna happen, one every two months was clearly overly optimistic. Personally I'd be happy if Mongoose could manage a book every quarter.

Let's hope book fifteen hits target, if for no other reason than to restore a bit of confidence in the Megadeal customers. I'd rather see a schedule which is realistic and accurate rather than the release date slippage which has been a constant factor. Don't say January if you mean March. Of course, Mongoose could always employ a dozen Giaks to administer punishment beatings to the Lone Wolf team(?) for every missed release slot. :lol:

After a quick look through the book I was also grabbed by the idea behind the Bonus adventure. Very cool MongooseAugust! Looking forward to getting time to sit down and read it properly, particularly hearing that it's part of a series but then that's also one of the reasons Lone Wolf was my favourite gamebook back in the day. Will we be developing the character at all? Lots of cool powers, so few slots... :wink:

Hey all

Got the book on Saturday (now that is good timing!) and read it over the weekend.

Shame about the error with Flameshaft still being there, though to be fair it was in the original release too, and curiously still in the Projectaon version, and as these are reprints based on Projectaon I guess we can't blame Mongoose for that one!

As for the map, I noticed the intro text has removed the words "despite noteable success in this area" to leave just as a "painfully slow progress" (though the original wording remains in Book 13) - this would account for the lack of any obvious reclaimed wasteland.

My only real gripe is the ongoing disappointing illustrations of the cities. Kaag fairs better than most it has to be said, but it's still nothing compared to Brian William's original artwork. The interiors of Kaag look pretty good, but the overall shot is still somewhat uninspiring - better than Torgar and Mogaruith though.

Loved the bonus adventure - nicely done August! Can't wait to read some more of your work, both for the novels and bonus adventures.

Overall a good book, long time in the making, but it was good and the bonus adventure really helped build the story.

WritingWolf said:
As for the map, I noticed the intro text has removed the words "despite noteable success in this area" to leave just as a "painfully slow progress" (though the original wording remains in Book 13) - this would account for the lack of any obvious reclaimed wasteland.

My only real gripe is the ongoing disappointing illustrations of the cities. Kaag fairs better than most it has to be said, but it's still nothing compared to Brian William's original artwork. The interiors of Kaag look pretty good, but the overall shot is still somewhat uninspiring - better than Torgar and Mogaruith though.

Loved the bonus adventure - nicely done August! Can't wait to read some more of your work, both for the novels and bonus adventures.

Overall a good book, long time in the making, but it was good and the bonus adventure really helped build the story.

Oh, I don't know...I very much like the work of Brian Williams, but want to leave the door open for new illustrators. I liked the illustrations in the Mongoose LW14. They worked for me.

I expected the bonus adventure to be about Banedon getting caught or something similar. Totally surprised by this bonus adventure. Haven't read it yet, but paging through it quickly, looks very interesting.

Koreth

hello there :)

still didn't received my copy :(

I 've pre-orderd this book in February already.. How long are the shipping times for books in Austria ?

thx

Hey Koreth

I like most of the artwork, it's just the overall architecture of the cities which, for me, is disappointing. A lot of them look the same, and there is a little grandeur left.

Having said that, the interiors of Kaag were good.

I hope Darke remains as impressive as ever in the next book, I fear it will not but we wait and see!

Mind you, when we eventually get to Book 20, Dazganon could be improved a bit, but Xaagon the same - that was an awesome city!

Back