Bu and Embla’s Guide to Starports of the Marches - PDF Released!

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Bu and Embla’s Guide to Starports of the Marches is a PDF-only release (physical versions were exclusive to the backers of the JTAS II Kickstarter), covering 12 starports found in the Spinward Marches, a sector that has been the setting for many, many campaigns over the decades.

You can grab your own copy right here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/products/bu-and-embla-s-guide-to-starports-of-the-marches

Small Bu & Emblas Guide to Starports cover - Front.png

Follow the adventures of Bu and Embla, Droyne and Hlanssai, throughout the Marches and join them on their exploits as they try to stay ahead of pursuing authorities. These two friends visit a variety of starports, cities, and underworld haunts, meeting no small amount of danger along the way, their distinct personalities clashing and melding as they pass through the sector.

Bu and Embla’s Guide to Starports of the Marches includes maps, patrons, adventures and new rules that document their experiences, allowing your own Travellers to follow in their footsteps while exploring these iconic locations.

lol, of course this drops the week I had to drop a bunch of money on some repairs. Welp, guess I'll get in next Friday :D Am definitely excited to read this.

I missed out on this during the second Journal of the Traveller Aid Society Kickstarter campaign, because I elected to choose the electronic versions of those books this time round. It was a stretch goal for Physical backers only, and I had some issues with shelf-space at the time, in all honesty. However, it almost swung me then because it looked cool.

And, now that I have purchased it, it really is cool. The in-character perspectives and planet-by planet structure lend a theme to the writing which gives it utility value. I’m busy with a 2300AD campaign set up at the moment, but books like this make me want to go back to a classic Spinwards Marches trader campaign. It is the sort of thing, a bit like the Library book, where you can just give it to the players as a gazetter and then just let them drive their own sandbox campaign without much planning needed. It is like providing players with their own Hitchhiker’s Guide.

Three things:

1) Why can’t we have this in print?
2) Why can’t we see it as the start of a series of books on different settings?
3) Why can’t we get Bu and Embla statted out as characters?

1) Why can’t we have this in print?
2) Why can’t we see it as the start of a series of books on different settings?
3) Why can’t we get Bu and Embla statted out as characters?
Well, basically, because we did not think it would be that popular :)

The Marches Starport Guide won't be reprinted in this same format as that was promised to backers of the JTAS II Kickstarter. However, if you are keen on this format in general and Bu and Embla in particular... well, maybe this is something to revisit!

As a kickstarter backer I wouldn't mind if you did a second printing, but another option would be to expand it with more stuff and then put the new expanded version out as print and pdf,

I just read the Guide and love the characters. I would definitely buy more products with those two as guides. Their contrasting and complimenting voices, plus the mini-stories they tell, make the Traveller Lore come alive.

I understand there may be some sensitivity regarding Kickstarter exclusivity which influences hard-copy printing, but I'd like to offer an alternative view

If there were a decent time period between Kickstarter delivery, and general hard-copy availability, I doubt many backers would object. The Kickstarter backers have exclusive access for the decent time period. The Guide is of general interest to the wider community, and Print on Demand services are available for any enterprising individual to offer hard copies and make money themselves.

IMHO, this could be a lost opportunity

Back