Boxed city sets?

zozotroll

Mongoose
At my FLGS there are two boxed city sets. One is Messentia, and I didnt look to close at the other. As they are not listed here at the goose I have a couple questions. First are they ist ed? seems most likely. But are they even Mongoose, or somebdy else that wound up in the mongoose rack?

If somebosdy has them, how good are they? I get that a city set is of little use for a wilderness game, but I have always liked detailed citys. I used the city state of the invincible overlord for every city we gamed in regardless of xyxtem for years. Now there are more available.

Are these hard to find? Or does every shop have a copy/

Anyway, thanks for any replys

Owen

They are 1st ed, they are made by Mongoose on the beginning of publishing Conan rpg. I only read reviews and they was very good.

Yes, they are 1st edition (published in 2004 IIRC), but compatible with 2nd Edition.

MGP 7708 Shadizar - City of Wickedness (written by me)
MGP 7709 Messantia - City of Riches (written by Greg Lynch, Nick Bergquist, and J.C. Alverez)

The map to Shadizar can be found on Mongoose's site. The actual map packaged with the box is incorrect, but I think Mongoose will still mail out a large corrected map if you ask them. You'll have to check on that.

No comment on the value of Shadizar (since I wrote it, my opinion is biased), but Messantia is a good product. It gives street by street descriptions of the city and identifies many of the buildings by name and function. Shadizar does not do this, as I don't like looking up shops and where they are found on the map - I put them where I want them for that given adventure. Both products go into culture and other important aspects of city life.

If they are not listed any more, I would guess that means they are out of print.

If you have them on your FLGS I recommed grabbing them if you want them. They seems to be out of print so unless you find some FLGS carrying them you are out of luck for printed copy.

PDF copy available on drivethru though.

Thanks for the quick replys.

Sounds like I will get them as soon as I can afford them.

Vincent, that you wrote it is a good selling point for me.

Get Shadizar!!!!!!!!!!! It's excellent. Gives a great background of the city and has some good information about Zamora. Out of the two, I favour Shadizar. Messentia isn't bad and as it was stated above, there both out of print.

1st edition is 98% compatable with 2nd edition. So it can be used with little or no preperation. :D

I've got both of the box sets and i've found them to be great. I really liked the Shadizar set because i remember the city from back when i used to read the Marvel Comics, so it was great get an insight into it. The Messantia one is great to and really detailed. The three books in each set come with plenty to read through, although i havn't played through the adventures there are plenty of NPCs and encounters i'm planning on nicking and putting in my own, plus the new rules, monsters and class are always good to have.

The main reason i got these sets are because they are great places to start an adventure, especially if your a first time fantasy GM like me, so you can have the players start in a fully detailed city with a plausable reason for them being there e.g. a port city and a low life hang out

I wish they would have made one for a Stygian city like Kheshatta or Khemi - either one of those cities would make for far, far more exciting adventuring than Messantia :roll:

I would love to see some more of these actually. I rather enjoyed both Messantia and Shadizar.

Something like this for Tarantia, a city in Stygia, Kordava, or something out there like Sultanapur would be great.

Dark Lord Skippy said:
I would love to see some more of these actually. I rather enjoyed both Messantia and Shadizar.

If they are as good as posters here claim(luckily I get both on sunday as birthday present) I agree. Good detailed overview of famous cities would be nice indeed.

VincentDarlage said:
Well, I liked the boxed sets. I'd write a dozen of them if he'd let me.
well, I'd buy one if you wrote it. so you have at least three sales it looks like. I am sure that will cover the cost of a print run, right?

VincentDarlage said:
I have wanted to write a Zamboula boxed set for a long time...

I would SOOOOOO buy that!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D Zamboula is my favourite Conan city!!!! (although you did a great job on Shadizar Vincent.)

In our campaign, Messantia was a major base for the players for a while. The source book was very useful, as was the maps. I did use the scenario, though I tweaked it heavily.

As for Shadizar, the party has gone there yet. One of the PC's is a Zamoran, so I've used some of it as a resource for him.

I like both of these, and would by more city boxes.

Back