Body Count

The King

Cosmic Mongoose
Did anyone make a bodycount of all the people and creatures (if possible separate) that Conan killed in his life, that is a bodycount from Howard's stories (pastiche novels aren't interesting in this consideration because they are much longer and have Conan kill everything to provide for some basic and silly entertainment.

The King said:
Did anyone make a bodycount of all the people and creatures (if possible separate) that Conan killed in his life, that is a bodycount from Howard's stories (pastiche novels aren't interesting in this consideration because they are much longer and have Conan kill everything to provide for some basic and silly entertainment.

This would be difficult since REH does not in every case state the number of conquered foes, e.g. in Xuthal of the Dusk it isn't clear how many Xuthalans he kills.

Wizard magazine did a one page spread of different characters in comics and their body count and I believe Conan was over 10,000. He wasn't in first place though, I think Lobo beat him. I will try and find out the issue number and let you know. Other than that I don't think the numbers have ever been compiled and Wizard was counting all Conan pastiche as well as original stories.

I've just purchased the DelRey Conans and am going to reread the stories for the first time in several years. I will try to remember and keep a tally along with other matters. IIRC, Conan might have done some boasting about his conquests too... :D

Strom said:
Wizard magazine did a one page spread of different characters in comics and their body count and I believe Conan was over 10,000. He wasn't in first place though, I think Lobo beat him. I will try and find out the issue number and let you know. Other than that I don't think the numbers have ever been compiled and Wizard was counting all Conan pastiche as well as original stories.
That would make for the biggest criminal of all time. But counting pastiches isn't right because as long as there is a licence you can have kill him as many as you want.
10,000... When Conan reaches 60 years he almost has killed 1 person every two days (from 0 to 60). :shock:

A pastiche novel has 200-300 pages while Howard only wrote short stories (excepted the hour of the dragon).
I would have done it myself one day but I grew up with the de Camp's modifications. And if I am willing to consider some of his works canon (especially his Conan short stories which are excellent) I don't like the lengthy novels from him, Lin Carter and Nyberg.
And I didn't read any comics any more (I was a superhero fan in my young days).

Who is Lobo?

Yogah of Yag said:
I've just purchased the DelRey Conans and am going to reread the stories for the first time in several years. I will try to remember and keep a tally along with other matters. IIRC, Conan might have done some boasting about his conquests too... :D
This would be interesting.
I already took many notes from my readings but I forgot to count his kills.
Moreover as I wrote in my previous post I only read the de Camp's edition.

In several tales Conan is described as having 'Adventured' or 'warred' and many tales start with conan having survived some battle or other and as such we assume he killed some people but often we have no number. It would be impossible to get a 'body count'

What if we just kept count of the major villians, and not all the soldiers in the major battles he fought in? He started killing at the age of 15, afterall. When your fighting in a war, is it possible to even keep count? Some of the wounded, may die later. I think it would be more fun to count only the major foes he dispatched. I never even thought of keeping count of the foes he vanquished. Also, we can't really say "killed" cause some were already dead! Unless we don't count statues and animated skeletons. :)

He usually killedone villain per adventure, that's easy enough.
No, I want a real body count of the depicted scene, not counting what he did inbetween nor what he says he's done. Just the body count from the written battle scenes.
Howard was precise enough and he usually described every Conan fight very well.

What would be fun would be to compare the kill ratio between Howardian sources and the other pastiches because it is then easy to determine that Howard had other things to depict (no pun intended) than just fighting. He provided vivid descriptions of a whole world while the pastiches mostly focused on the actions and sayings of Conan.
Howard placed his cameras everywhere, not just on this guy.

Hyboria belongs to the Strong, the survivors, and not the dead, the Weak.
Conan was the Prime Survivor, and really now, who cares for the dead he left in his wake?

I'm not sure Conan was all that interested in the pastoral scenes surrounding his kill zone, particularly while he was counting all the dead laying waist deep around him.

And I've read all the original releases of Conan, and I just don't remember REH doing much of a body count either. He did describe the many of the bloody fighting scenes, but he also speaks of how Conan fought in many wars. Conan must have killed a lot of men, but no one, not even Conan, can say how many (perhaps Crom kept count :) ).

I take it back, I don't really care how many foes Conan killed, just so long as he killed them (he's not a superhero, or even a hero, just good plain fun).

we probably don't talk of the same Conan then. He destroyed everything he met, demons or sorcerers and became king starting from nothing.
He is the hero par excellence.

Depends greatly on you definition of a hero now, doesn't it? To me, a hero is someone who tries to do the right thing, for the right causes. Someone who puts their life on the line to help others. Conan did what he did, for the most part, for himself. I would not promote stealing, killing, or getting drunk, to my children. Conan had a very selfish point of view, he became king for himself, not for anyone else, or even for a cause. Except for women, he never tolerated weakness, and scorned man's attempt to become civilized. Hero's helped the weak, and look to law and order, as the best course for mankind. Maybe, you could define Conan as the Anti-hero.
You idolize Conan as you would an actor, but most actors are not heroes.

Let's us see what the Webster says to this:

hero; 1 a: mythological or legendary figure; b: illustrious warrior; c: a person admired for achievements or qualities, d: one that shows great courage; 2 a: chief male figure in a literary work or in an event or period (from the Greek heros - not to be confused with Eros)

This is thus not necessary linked with self-abnegation.

That must be the condensed form of ancient definitions. Today our definitions are based on real living heroes, not myth or legend, or stories that may not be true. Truth is, we worship the wrong heroes, we glorify the wrong people, we neglect the truely courageous people, that go to work everyday to protect our lives.

Conan is not real, therefore he cannot be courageous, or cowardly or have any emotion at all.

But as a fictional character in a fantasy land, based upon the REH's fictional conception of a hero, and our own corrupted ideals of what makes up a hero, I'll concede that Conan is a hero.

dunderm said:
That must be the condensed form of ancient definitions.
I wrote all the definitions concerning this word and my Webster is "only" 10 years old.

Conan is not real, therefore he cannot be courageous, or cowardly or have any emotion at all.
Refer to the 2a definition

Sorry, I was thinking of 1c, myself. Conan does fit well with 1a, and 2a. Might even say 1b (in a fictional sense, of course). Well, that pegs him nicely, I guess. We should be proud of ourselves!

Back