Beyond A Call to Arms

I have the games :) It tempting to do a quick conversion but getting the fighters right may be tricky.

also did find quite a few bits on U tube including the Ship stats - plus details are on WIKI

no probs :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_wars

at the bottom is a link to the on line version of the ships database

Mhm, another possibility, but FS 1 hadn't had mich ship combat, fighters finished off the most part.

FS 2 had the problem that the starships were better armed, but the fighters still did more damage actually then the ships (exept for the Colossus).

Ral Partha I believe, did an extensive line of lead minis for FASA's Star Trek game back in the day, the molds are probably out there somewhere.

http://home.comcast.net/~ststcsolda/index.html

Well one option not discussed though relatively obvious is the Traveller liscence. first off it would be easy for the 'goose to liscence (they aleready have!) and there are plenty of options for fleets imperial, Sword Worlders, Hivers, Aslan, K'kree, and of course Zhohandi. and they have already had to do conversion work from ACTA to Traveller (via Bab5 universe) I am not saying it's so I'm not even saying this is what it should be, I am mearley suggesting a possiblity)

Londo-X said:
Well one option not discussed though relatively obvious is the Traveller liscence. first off it would be easy for the 'goose to liscence (they aleready have!)

They have some rights to an RPG of Traveller, do not assume that includes a minis game rights, mind you there's no reason to assume i t excludes them either, but you know what contracts are like.

LBH

Ok, I realize there is the strong urge to get the kickstart a Licensing agreement gets you. More people come across websites like this b/c they search for B5 and suddenly are hooked into a new game they don't even have the rules for (appranently my rule and fleet books are now officially 'lost in the mail', sigh).

But I've been seeing some creative types on this site, and Matt and the crew also seem rather talented to say the least.

Thinking outside the box, but why not just forge ahead and design our own universe? I'm sure there's plenty here who could contribute. All the other great game systems had to start from somewhere, heck even GW was originally a DnD mini's maker.

With the right kind of marketing etc, it can really take off.

Plus, never having to pay some company for ideas gathering dust on their shelf has to be appealing.

Then rules can be writen in a form that makes sense and avoids possible 'plot driven' rules that can be inconsistent. (I seem to remember J. Michael once asked how fast starfuries travelled "Starfuries travel at the speed of plot")

Anyways, I think its really a positive option, but then I'm the new guy.

Dihenydd said:
Thinking outside the box, but why not just forge ahead and design our own universe?

We have discussed with the rest of Rebellion the possibility of designing a new universe that would be supported by our games, Abaddon's novels and possibly 2000AD's comics. . .

msprange said:
We have discussed with the rest of Rebellion the possibility of designing a new universe that would be supported by our games, Abaddon's novels and possibly 2000AD's comics. . .

Doing ships for the old Nemesis: The Warlock 2000 AD strip would be awesome :D

msprange said:
Dihenydd said:
Thinking outside the box, but why not just forge ahead and design our own universe?

That post gave me goosepimples! No really.

msprange said:
Dihenydd said:

Just so long as it's not any of the Abaddon novels written by that hack that wrote Death Hulk :lol:

Seriously though, Twilight of Kerberos would be an interesting setting.

Must pick up the Clockwork King novel at Dragonmeet SW.

LBH

(delurk)

I've been telling anyone who wanted to listen (and just as many who diddn't!) that CCP completely missed the mark by putting out a boardgame - especially one with such a significant price tag and a heft to scare off all but the most dedicated boardgamers. It should have been (and still could be) a minis game. Consider:

* Four completely fleshed-out and distinct fleets/races
* Multiple variant ships for most base hull designs
* Jovians, a fifth race who are largely unexplored ingame
* Pirate/mercenary/NPC factions that combine traits from different races/ships.
* Extensive background and fluff
* Parent company has already shown interest in expanding to F2F gaming (Eve CCG)

I still wonder if a minis game isn't on its way, either under a proprietary ruleset or in cooperation with an existing company. ACTA seems to be a particularly natural fit (not that that means anything to the guys making business decisions).

MB

Okay, back to my regularly scheduled lurking....

I just recently installed Nexus:the Jupiter Incident. must say those are some pretty fine ships in that game. Plus I am really liking the combat/battles, almost on a grand scale.

Those ships sure would look nice attached to a small base and being moved around on my gameboard :)

Continuing the computer game theme, "Homeworld" has already been mentioned. (And then the circle is complete. ACTA, a B5 game, gets modded for Homeworld, which itself was modded for B5. :D)

Another possibility: Star Control 2. I'm not sure what the licencing issues would be for that; the game used to be commercial but is now open source. Lots of races with unique ships, each with their own strengths, weaknesses and special abilities. The problem is that on screen, each race only has one type of ship; mind you, on screen, most B5 races only have two ship types and some races' ships aren't seen at all, which didn't stop Mongoose from producing entire fleets. :D

AdrianH said:
Another possibility: Star Control 2.

I got about 80% through putting my own ACTA mod for Star Control together last year. (with as much background as I could find) Just need to make counters, and a little bit more playtesting to work some of the kinks out of the ships. I should really get off my bum and finish it. :oops: :oops:

I was planing to do SC2 separatly.

DSC00241.jpg

All hail Dogar and Kazon!!

Back