Bester - Has to be a higher level than in in the books

The Class calls for high Intelligence and Wisdom. I would expect that in order to be a Diplomat, you would also have to have Iron Will (so that you are not a push over) as a suggested starting Feat. The Resist Scan only adds +2 to the will roll (like Iron Will).

Even if the Diplomat did not start out with that Feat, it would not take long to be able to resist a Psi Cop - that is the point of this thread.

That should not be able to happen.

If it was a Telepathy + Psi Level vs. Will roll, this would reflect Telepathy the way the show does - this would add in all the Feats (Ability Focus, Commercial Corps Telepath, etc.) and would give the additional +3 that a character can take over their level in a skill. The P10 Alysa was able to read Delenn's mind without really trying till Delenn used Resist Scan (and Alysa used her Telepathic manners and stopped Scanning).

Let's look at the P10 example:
Alysa - Telepathy +1 + P10 = +14
Delenn - Will +9 + Resist Scan = +11

So Alysa can get in initially, then when Delenn applies Resist Scan (you should know that your mind is being scanned to use, so I would actually give a higher bonus) she gets shut out.

Now look at Bester doing the same thing:
Bester - Telepathy +21 (from the Fact book) + P12 = +33

Poor Delenn does not even have a chance. Too bad for Bester that since she does not trust him and she is thinking of Minbari prayers of forgiveness, and since she could do that for days without stopping...he would get bored and go onto someone else.

If Talia (pre Ironheart) wanted to try to see what was on Delenn's mind during a negotiation:
Talia - Telepathy +8 (from the Fact book) + P5 = +13

Delenn has a really good chance to prevent Talia from getting the info from an Advanced Veracity Test since the Minbari never tell the whole truth.... :twisted:

scottmage said:

Except we have seen this happen (a mundane resist Bester) in the series.

Said mundane dies under the strain eventually, but it wasn't easy for Bester to get the information he wanted.

Oh, and he wasn't a Diplomat but probably a Lurker.

frobisher said:
scottmage said:

Except we have seen this happen (a mundane resist Bester) in the series.

Said mundane dies under the strain eventually, but it wasn't easy for Bester to get the information he wanted.

Oh, and he wasn't a Diplomat but probably a Lurker.

The episode to which you are referring, A Race through Dark Places (Season 2), episode summary on Page 36 and 37 of The Coming of Shadows (MGP 3332). "Unable to persuade the rogue of the duty every telepath had to the Corps, Bester was forced to drag the location of the central clearing house used by the underground railroad, through a punishing Deep Scan. The rogue suffered a fatal seizure during this scan but not before Bester managed to wrest the location from his dying thoughts - the underground railroad ran straight through Babylon 5"

Perhaps you missed that season or did not purchase that book from Mongoose. A Rouge Telepath - not a mundane. Strike 2!

BTW - the female Psi Cop with Bester during said interrogation is played by Walter Koeing's real life wife Judy Levitt.

scottmage said:
Perhaps you missed that season or did not purchase that book from Mongoose. A Rouge Telepath - not a mundane. Strike 2!

I didn't know we were keeping score...

I think I'm confusing a pair of incidents. I'll get back to you on that.

Back