Babylon 5 2nd Edition - Out This Week!

The 2nd edition is really quite fantastic.

* Lovely new design both inside and out. Easy to read with the exception of a couple headers in the book, but no biggie.

* No longer need a D20 PHB. Good job!

* Not sure about cutting the classes down to 10 levels. Not sure where that came from. Basically means that every character will end up multiclassed and/or taking a prestige class.

* The change to Telepathy is nice though it takes some getting your head around - or at least or did for me. Easier to use I guess though as I mentioned in another thread here, I wonder how good it will be for Vorlon Agents and other Psi-Rating increasing classes.

* Ship combat system looks complex. I'm having to read it again and again to try and lock it down. Not sure that it makes ship-to-ship combat quicker though.

After my first full read and part way through a re-read, I have to say this is worth the purchase. The only thing I didn't like was the galaxy map in the front cover... why not stick with the much nicer and easier on the eyes map from the Galaxy Guide book?

Eryx said:
* Not sure about cutting the classes down to 10 levels. Not sure where that came from.

I think thats a d20 Modern thing. It'd indicate they've moved away from the d20 SRD to the d20 Modern SRD - will have to take a closer look at that now!

mthomason said:
Eryx said:
* Not sure about cutting the classes down to 10 levels. Not sure where that came from.

I think thats a d20 Modern thing. It'd indicate they've moved away from the d20 SRD to the d20 Modern SRD - will have to take a closer look at that now!

I prefer 20 level classes myself but I suppose it it means that D20M is more compatible, thats not such a bad thing I guess.

the character sheet is now 4 pages...but at least the background image isn't as intrusive as the previous one.

Chern

I'll be darned if I can find rules for encumbrance in the rules. The character sheet has "current load" and "encumbrance penalty" blanks but I can't find encumbrance or rules for encumbered movement anywhere...I've looked in combat, character creation, abilities, equipment...can anybody help?

Chern

lastbesthope said:
Chernobyl said:
the character sheet is now 4 pages...but at least the background image isn't as intrusive as the previous one.

Chern

And a darn sight easier to print off in colour as well.

LBH

I have one complaint about the new character sheet: I don't like that funky FONT. If you're a regular player of B5 it won't be annoying for long, but try to demonstrate the game. It looks like a math equation.

I do like the Bab 5 logo rather than full color picture of the station.

James / Nezeray

Time to see if Emma's done one yet. http://www.emass-web.com/

Finially found them!!!!
The encumbrance rules are tucked away in the GMing section, p292.
indexing could have been a little better...there's no entry for encumbrance at all.

gimme this on PDF and I'll run a "search" next time :lol:

Chern

Well I will admit it is a improvment in a number of ways.

I think it works better to go with the Earth Force book as a scale for pay for military personel. In fact My Gm is working on using that scale for other races.

Btw I do like how the worker class got split into three areas. Also the way to work cargoes seems thought out.

I like the work you guys put into it. Thanks

Just picked up my copy yesterday from my Friendly Local Game Store in Lakeland, Florida. I immediately looked at the conversion section, as my biggest beef with 2nd editions coming out so soon is that I would usually have spent hundreds of dollars on supplements, and any product that comes out and makes them obsolete is automatically on my "must-hate" list.

Looks like the roleplaying bits will be converted easily. I do like very much not haveing the need to haul around a 3.0 players guide and having all the basics in one book. However, I note that the rules changes have made all the vehicles and ships stats different, and the official rules do not have any conversion materials for the ships and vehicles from the vast number of supplements already out.

I may be only one person, and really, a lone voice from the wilderness, but I have to state again, emphatically, that I will not buy 2nd edition versions of the supplements I already have, and if they start coming out, I will drop the system. I am planning on buying the manual for ship construction, hoping that may have a way to work out updating the ship stats, but I wanted to avoid purchasing Ships of the Galaxy as being duplicated material. Is Ships of the Galaxy a second edition source anyway?

Please, do not take advantage of my love of this setting. I only have so much cash to go around, and while I fully recognize a company's need for capital, there are fair and honest ways of making money for a business without taking advantage of your market base. There are still a lot of races in the B-5 galaxy that have not been explored, and that is a perfectly legitimate area for expansion of the game.

Easygamer said:
I may be only one person, and really, a lone voice from the wilderness, but I have to state again, emphatically, that I will not buy 2nd edition versions of the supplements I already have, and if they start coming out, I will drop the system.

I mostly agree with this, with one exception.
I would even pay double the usual price for a 2nd edition technomages book provided:

a) it uses a better magic system (currently we have one that uses DnD energy types for elementalism subschools :( )
b) the chaos points system gets reworked (the current rules don't reflect what we've seen in the show and the books)
c) it isn't written by Bruce Graw (since the Earth Alliance Fact Book with it's insulting Nationality Feats and the Techno-Mages fact book I don't trust him to write good sourcebooks)

Thomas Weinbrenner said:
c) it isn't written by Bruce Graw (since the Earth Alliance Fact Book with it's insulting Nationality Feats and the Techno-Mages fact book I don't trust him to write good sourcebooks)

Weirdly enough, those are two of the best written of the source books to my mind (of the ones I've bought), along with the Psi Corps one in that they didn't take the liberties with the B5 background that some of the others did...

I'll say no more about the nationality feats beyond a) it's generally been agreed that it won't happen again and b) just get over it. It's done and dusted and been frothed at more than enough here.

Very good. But no one has really responded to my post other than to agree (Mostly. Thank you by the way). Can we convert the myriad of ship stats in the existing supplements readiliy to 2nd edition, or will we have to buy the new Ships of the Galaxy. Can we use the ship constructor's guide to do the conversions? I will be buying that source book. And, is the Ships of the Galaxy itself made for 2nd edition, and will it contain all the ships from all the previous source books?

Oh, and is the new source supplement for the old ones (Vorlons and Shadows) also a 2nd edition source book?

Can anybody tell me?

frobisher said:
Weirdly enough, those are two of the best written of the source books to my mind (of the ones I've bought), along with the Psi Corps one in that they didn't take the liberties with the B5 background that some of the others did...

So I guess you only have those two source books :) and you haven't seen Crusade or read the techno-mage trilogy.

Using the current rules, the cost for the invisibility (5 + 2 per round) spell is so high that even the most powerful mage in the book (125 power points) could maintain invisibility only for 6 minutes (60 rounds).
In the first episode of Crusade Galen was probably much longer invisible and had still enough power to attack a Drakh.
Instead of creating spells to give every possible stat a +1 Bruce should have created a system where you can cast those spells we have seen in the series and the books.

Read the books and try to guess where techno mages get chaos points. It's usually before they cast combat spells not because of it! It's all broken.

Whatever you can play with those rules in the Techno-Mage Fact book, it's not a Techno-Mage as he's displayed in the TV series or the books.

Easygamer said:
Very good. But no one has really responded to my post other than to agree (Mostly. Thank you by the way). Can we convert the myriad of ship stats in the existing supplements readiliy to 2nd edition, or will we have to buy the new Ships of the Galaxy. Can we use the ship constructor's guide to do the conversions? I will be buying that source book. And, is the Ships of the Galaxy itself made for 2nd edition, and will it contain all the ships from all the previous source books?

Oh, and is the new source supplement for the old ones (Vorlons and Shadows) also a 2nd edition source book?

Can anybody tell me?

posted a similar request about the holes in the conversion guide in the Rulesmaster's forum. I also PM'd MSprange to ask if we would see a fuller conversion document addressing more issues than just ship stats. HE said they were "Working on it".

LBH

Thomas Weinbrenner said:
frobisher said:

Using the current rules, the cost for the invisibility (5 + 2 per round) spell is so high that even the most powerful mage in the book (125 power points) could maintain invisibility only for 6 minutes (60 rounds).
In the first episode of Crusade Galen was probably much longer invisible and had still enough power to attack a Drakh.
Instead of creating spells to give every possible stat a +1 Bruce should have created a system where you can cast those spells we have seen in the series and the books.

Read the books and try to guess where techno mages get chaos points. It's usually before they cast combat spells not because of it! It's all broken.

Whatever you can play with those rules in the Techno-Mage Fact book, it's not a Techno-Mage as he's displayed in the TV series or the books.

There will be some necessary changes to fit a RPG. Just like a book adapted to a movie is different as everything in a book won't fit in a marketable movie.

That said, I too would like some changes to how spells are done for Technomages. Something like the new Teep class, where a 'mage would have access to more spells. Problem is the 'mage would be too powerful at low levels. I'm not sure how to balance that. Galen seemed a well rounded mage just after initation, but in the game, it seems you have to be near 10th level to get where Galen seemed to be.

The Conjure Daemon spells are also broke. The simplest Computer Use task is 1d4 rounds (DC 10). An average task is 1d4 minutes (DC 15). A difficult task is 2d10 minutes (DC 20). An almost impossible task is 1d4 hours (DC 25). The Conjure Daemon spells, with the exception of Conjure Monitoring Daemon, are paid for by the minute. The Conjure Monitoring Daemon spell is paid for by the hour. That is more in line with the books and would enable the creation of permanent Daemons like Burell's Johnny.

There are other things I would like to see changed as well, but I haven't made a list yet.

Kizarvexis

Back