Art: Starship Grade Missiles/Torpedoes

wbnc

Cosmic Mongoose
missiles_breakdown_by_wbyrd-dawhtji.png

this is my version of a ship-to-ship missile. It uses a combination of reaction thrusters for initial acceleration and then gravitics for sustained and maneuver burns. It is divided into section,

Avionics: sensors and guidence. these are fairly compact and primitive compared to shipboard systems which leads to them being jammed and spoofed by Electronic warfare attacks.

Warhead: a heavy duty duty HEAT charge with a liner made up of high density pre formed projectiles that scatter out on detonation allowing for a close in 'miss" to inflict soe damage to lighter vessels and small craft.

Core Section: this houses a high-efficiency battery to power the avionics, and gravitic drives as well as the needed computers and software storage. a compact M-drive is placed at the rear which uses gravitcs and a compact Metallic hydrogen fueled reaction drive to generate the missiles high acceleration. The gravitics rotate and pitch the missile pointing the reaction drives which generate the bulk of straight line thrust. Instead of burning fuel the missile has slugs of Meta-Stable Metalic hydrogen which it can trigger to violently decay back into normal hydrogen releasing a great deal of heat and producing a high volume of hydrogen plasma in the process. theReaction drive injects a pellet into the "combustion chamber" when needed and can be switch on and off very rapidly to allow it to deliver precise amounts of thrust for high-speed maneuvering.

The vanes deployed fro the midline of the core section are grave plates by altering the "thrust" generated by each plate the flight controls can precisely alter the missile's flight path. grav plates ar mounted on both sides of the vanes allowing the to be far more precise than a single sided vane alone.

the dark section near the nose of each missile are grav plates for additional control of the missiles attitude in flight.

Targeting:
When prepped for firing the missile is fed the targets location and sensor profile. the missile compares this signature to what its own sensors are picking up and locks on. If the information is not sufficiently accurate, or the missile is not given the proper information to calculate an optimum flight path ( lock on fails, or gunner rolls low) the missiles is less likely to properly acquire its target and may not be as accurate on its terminal attack run as it should be.

At long ranges the missile depends on passive sensors to track its target, once it closes range it activates active sensors and begins to analyze the data returns to identify critical systems and vulnerabilities of known ships and systems. If the missiles software n identify a vulnerable/critical system it can inflict superior damage to the target assuming it can breach the targets armor.( inflict critical damage to a system) Otherwise, the missile attacks the center of the ship's radar or lidar signature which often leads to less than optimal results(low damage)

At short ranges the missiles software does not have time to properly process targeting and guidance data and cannot take full advantage of its high ability to precisely match velocity and movements of its target. This leads to missile armed ships tending to stay outside of close range to allow their missiles to properly process data analyze sensor returns and accelerate to optimum attack velocity.

here is a shot of A torpedo and Ship-to-ship Missile ( in both storage mode and flight mode) for rough comparison. I need to tweak the scales a bit but for a rough idea of the comparative size this should work. The smaller missiles are vehicle mounted TAC Missiles.
missiles_and_torp_by_wbyrd-dawhtwf.png

Missiles run out of juice somewhere between ten turns and long distance, so the implication would be no gravitic motors.

This is not defined in MgT, but in CT and MT thrusters had a minimum size much too large to fit in a missile or torpedo.

With thrusters and fusion power the range would be effectively unlimited, so I guess we can't have both in a missile, as the Contractor points out.

The CT Missile supplement defined that missiles used fuel, so I have always assumed missiles use reaction drives of some sort.

Condottiere said:
Missiles run out of juice somewhere between ten turns and long distance, so the implication would be no gravitic motors.

I allowed for that by using batteries instead of a reactor the batteries run out of juice rapidly, and it has reaction drives for most of its thrust with a fairly small reserve of fuel.

AnotherDilbert said:
This is not defined in MgT, but in CT and MT thrusters had a minimum size much too large to fit in a missile or torpedo.

With thrusters and fusion power the range would be effectively unlimited, so I guess we can't have both in a missile, as the Contractor points out.

The CT Missile supplement defined that missiles used fuel, so I have always assumed missiles use reaction drives of some sort.

These missiles have reaction drives for raw power. the grav plates are for fine control and attitude correction. Until recently I was stumped by how you can pack enough fuel for such high acceleration into such a small casing..then some clever fellow discovered you can manufacture metallic hydrogen. sing that the drives didn't need to carry fuel and oxidizer and Metallic hydrogen produces extreme temperatures when decaying back into normal hydrogen which turns hydrogen into plasma which is great for use as a reaction mass :D

I suspect there should also be a self destruct after a certain amount of time has passed.

The old two and a half tonne torpedoes would seem to be candidates.

Also, how much does a miniature gravitic motor cost? A space battle should have the potential to unload thousands, possibly millions of missiles.

wbnc said:
metallic hydrogen...
I think that would require enough pressure to make it magical tech.

I prefer fusion rockets, which is just as magical, but we have already postulated controllable fusion...

Condottiere said:
I suspect there should also be a self destruct after a certain amount of time has passed.

The old two and a half tonne torpedoes would seem to be candidates.

Also, how much does a miniature gravitic motor cost? A space battle should have the potential to unload thousands, possibly millions of missiles.

Oh, would definitely put a kill timer on a missile no one wants a swarm of ghost rounds lingering around for the next hundred thousand years just waiting for some poor soul to fly into it.

In theory, you only need Thrust 0 for an attitude control jet. since the reaction drives are providing the oompf... so 1 percent of 1/12thof a ton IF you are using a starship grade thruster instead of something less robust. vehicular or robotics grade grav units would be plenty strong enough to turn a missile around its axis since that's about all they do.

Station keeping stopped making sense, and I suspect wasn't really well thought out.

And tround missiles should have a larger magazine capacity.

wbnc said:
vehicular or robotics grade grav units would be plenty strong enough to turn a missile around its axis since that's about all they do.
They are supposed to only work in a strong gravity field, so almost useless in deep space.

If we can vector the thrust from the main thruster, like in ye olde SSOM, we don't really need attitude thrusters.

I don't get the vanes surely direction would be altered by thrust vectoring much more effectively/rapidly. I cant see any way a tiny amount of gravity plate would be able to affect a missile's path very much over a few seconds of flight (if at all). They look neat but cant see them being practical in space. They would be useful for ortillery directed by laser though.

Keep in mind that grav belts don't have control vanes. And as others pointed out, standard anti-gravity does not work outside of a gravity well. MGT drives aren't really defined tech-wise, like many Trav versions.

phavoc said:
Keep in mind that grav belts don't have control vanes. And as others pointed out, standard anti-gravity does not work outside of a gravity well. MGT drives aren't really defined tech-wise, like many Trav versions.

nowhere in my books does it say they can't function out of a grav well I may have .missed it but, grav belts seem to work in zero gee, ... Grav floaters and Air rafts can achieve orbital flight...so evidently, they work in microgravity.

As for the vanes,they are the simplest means to achieve vector control with the fewest moving parts and simplest software I could come up with. since grav plates produce the maximum thrust perpendicular to the plate itself angling the plates and moving them slightly away from the center of gravity increases their effectiveness.

the more moving parts a system has the more thing there are for Murphy to screw around with.A vectored reaction drive would work but it is mechanically more complex and would need more maintenance.

Why is it round? umm...no reason that's just the shape I went with.

That's what happens when you autocorrect: trounds tend to be triangular.

Speaking of autocorrect, missile launchers seem ideal for a Dardick feed.

wbnc said:
nowhere in my books does it say they can't function out of a grav well I may have .missed it but, grav belts seem to work in zero gee, ... Grav floaters and Air rafts can achieve orbital flight...so evidently, they work in microgravity.
I can only find it implied in a vague kind of way:
Flyer
The various specialities of this skill cover different types of flying vehicles. Flyers only work in an atmosphere; vehicles that can leave the atmosphere and enter orbit generally use the Pilot skill.

SPECIALITIES
• Airship: Used for airships, dirigibles and other powered lighter than air craft.
Grav: This covers air/rafts, grav belts and other vehicles that use gravitic technology.

MT had this to say:
The second major breakthrough is artificial gravlty. Created by manipulating subatomic forces, artificial gravity is not anti-gravity but is instead a unique force that acts upon the natural gravity field created by all matter. Artificial gravity can be made to either push or pull. Because of its nature, artificial gravity is not a very efficient means of locomotion in deep space where there are no strong gravity wells to push against.
The fourth significant development came from the search for a starship maneuver drive that did not lose efficiency when away from a strong gravity well. ... This new, artificially generated force pushes against a vessel's "thrust plates" themselves, which make true reactionless thrusters a reality for starship-sized vessels.

CT:
An air/raft can reach orbit in several hours (number of hours equal to planetary size digit in the UPP); passengers must wear vacc suits and interplanetary travel in an air/raft is not possible.
Note that a small craft with manoeuvre-drives can reach low orbit in minutes.

I would say the best use of the vanes would be for ortillery where they are shot out at the correct initial trajectory to the target and then the vanes are used for steering just like the laser guided munitions of today. That was the warhead can be kept to a maximum. But they serve no useful purpose in space.

A way to steer a missile in space other than vector thrusting would be either small reaction control thrusters or alternatively gyroscopic reaction control wheels. But I am not sure either of those would be all that useful for a fast missile - more useful for spaceships and large slow rockets.

Whilst a Grav Belt doesn't work in deep space, an M-drive definitely does.

I dunno. Not knowing the physics of M-drives, there's no inherent reason you might not be able to build a 'fast burn' maneuver drive that runs off a capacitor, or a fast-burn reactor, or something similar, which would run out of fuel just like a starship would (albeit far faster). Whether that's easier or harder than chemical rockets, or fusion rockets, is a matter for the taste of the GM and players, I guess.

An additional use for the vanes (on the "front" face) is essentially an Extended Array - open up multiple wings and the missile has a longer sensor baseline (more accurate/better able to deal with ECM/"blinding" laser fire) without increasing the diameter of the missile (and hence volume, loading speed, etc).

Triangular (or Hexagonal) would be easier to pack into a given volume, but there's no inherent reason the missile can't be round. Within magazines and loading systems shy of the launch tube, it's probably in some sort of container anyway.

nats said:
I would say the best use of the vanes would be for ortillery where they are shot out at the correct initial trajectory to the target and then the vanes are used for steering just like the laser guided munitions of today. That was the warhead can be kept to a maximum. But they serve no useful purpose in space.

A way to steer a missile in space other than vector thrusting would be either small reaction control thrusters or alternatively gyroscopic reaction control wheels. But I am not sure either of those would be all that useful for a fast missile - more useful for spaceships and large slow rockets.

In an atmosphere, they act as aerodynamic control surfaces but not in space the vanes are simply a mounting surface for grav plates.

The grav plates do not need to generate any considerable amount of thrust at all. In space other than the inertia of missile itself there is no resistance to changes in the direction the nose of the missile is pointed. the attitude control system does not have to generate any significant acceleration at all. the attitude control system only has to change which way the main motor is pointing.

The reaction drive is actually the means of controlling the flight path of the missile. the grav plates create a change in yaw, pitch, and roll, this points the reaction drive in the desired direction and it does the heavy lifting.

other systems such as vectored/gimballed motors and flywheels would be fine for slow steady changes in attitude. but a missile needs t make snap adjustments in its orientation, especially in its terminal attack run.

locarno24 said:
Whilst a Grav Belt doesn't work in deep space, an M-drive definitely does.

I dunno. Not knowing the physics of M-drives, there's no inherent reason you might not be able to build a 'fast burn' maneuver drive that runs off a capacitor, or a fast-burn reactor, or something similar, which would run out of fuel just like a starship would (albeit far faster). Whether that's easier or harder than chemical rockets, or fusion rockets, is a matter for the taste of the GM and players, I guess.

An additional use for the vanes (on the "front" face) is essentially an Extended Array - open up multiple wings and the missile has a longer sensor baseline (more accurate/better able to deal with ECM/"blinding" laser fire) without increasing the diameter of the missile (and hence volume, loading speed, etc).

Triangular (or Hexagonal) would be easier to pack into a given volume, but there's no inherent reason the missile can't be round. Within magazines and loading systems shy of the launch tube, it's probably in some sort of container anyway.

Fuel was the stumbling block I have run into every time I try to figure out how the missiles MIGHT work. cramming enough fuel to produce 12 gees of constant acceleration for an hour would require a very potent fuel. Currently, our biggest rockets cant match that sort of performance.

Back