Advantages

ProfGrizzlyJon

Cosmic Mongoose
I have a question/request for the High Guard section on Customizing Ships.

1) Is there intended to be a cap on Tech Customization? Can you have TL+4 (or higher) and continue to gain Advantages?
2) Is Very High Yield, High Yield and Intense Focus intended to work on Ion Beam weapons and/or Bomb-pumped Missiles/Torpedoes?

I know the answer of "IMTU, it can be.." looking for some answers/opinions from the groupmind here

1) The included table limits you to three advantages. (p71)
2) Intense focus is specifically restricted from Ion Beams and missiles (Lasers and Particle Weapons only - PAs do radiation damage, Ion does temporary power "damage"). Missiles of any type cannot use either version of High Yield. (p72) Ion Beams can use either High Yield.

2) Intense focus is specifically restricted from Ion Beams and missiles (Lasers and Particle Weapons only - PAs do radiation damage, Ion does temporary power "damage"). Missiles of any type cannot use either version of High Yield. (p72) Ion Beams can use either High Yield.
Thanks.
There are two many references to using certain advantages (that cost two) only once- it left a level of uncertainty.

Obviously, the normal missiles lack the energy weapons to use these advantages.

Not quite sure why a bomb-pumped missile can’t use High Yield or Intense Focus (the laser portion, not the missile portion). That fills the gap between “normal” bomb-pumped and Antimatter bomb-pumped at TL21.

Not quite sure why a bomb-pumped missile can’t use High Yield or Intense Focus (the laser portion, not the missile portion). That fills the gap between “normal” bomb-pumped and Antimatter bomb-pumped at TL21.
YW
At a guess, for the same reason the missile can't.
Bomb pumped means that the explosion powers the energy weapon. So if you cannot increase the yield of the explosion, you cannot increase the yield of the one shot weapon. If you COULD, it would increase the ammo cost and not the launcher.

The update stuffed a couple of loop holes.

It tends to come down to categorization, if it clearly states that torpedoes and missiles don't qualify, then the effects they have cannot be enhanced.

Whether this makes sense or not, is another issue.

Does the rule on pg. 71 mean that a TL-13 J-1 Drive and a TL-15 J-1 Drive are the same, since +3TLs is maxed out by TL-13? I don't use this rule IMTU, but I am just curious.

RAW, yes. But I would give the players a 20% discount on the cost for TL 15.
My designer makes it an either or, but in game, I would discount it for the high TL source.

Back