Armwrestling and snakes! - opposed rolls?

Archer

Mongoose
I wonder if someone that has read the rules could tell me how opposed rolls are handled. Though I have got some insight into it through the discussion of opposed attacker/defender rolls, there is something I need to know as I am working on the rules-section of my own settings for the MRQ rules (I do not have an SRD either).

Example;
Two STR 10 character armwrestle. How is this handled as an opposed roll?

Example;
A person gets bitten by a posionous snake, how is this handled?

Archer said:

The first thing is to cut a slit just above the wound and start sucking the venom out (do not swallow - this is important), then...

Rurik said:
Archer said:

The first thing is to cut a slit just above the wound and start sucking the venom out (do not swallow - this is important), then...

ROTFL!

You have encountered many snakes I presume during your adventures? (before that trollkin got the better of you).

Archer said:
You have encountered many snakes I presume during your adventures? (before that trollkin got the better of you).

Look, can WE ALL JUST FORGET ABOUT THE TROLLKIN INCIDENT!

I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about it. I don't go picking at your old scabs, do I? (though I am thinking of nicknames for the Broo Poo guy)

Besides, I'd have survived under the new rules.

Rurik said:
Archer said:

Look, can WE ALL JUST FORGET ABOUT THE TROLLKIN INCIDENT!

I'm getting a bit tired of hearing about it. I don't go picking at your old scabs, do I? (though I am thinking of nicknames for the Broo Poo guy)

Besides, I'd have survived under the new rules.

ROTFL!
I wont mention it again, dead mens honor.

To return to the serious stuff; Not a clue that you can give me how these things are handled within the rules?

I have no Idea how they are handled in the rules. :(

I suspect the two guys armwrestling in your example will have even odds of winning though. :)

(at least I hope so!)

Ok, thank you for your amusing input then.

I too hope there is an equal chance. But I am a bit concerned about it.

Rurik said:
Archer said:

Sucking out the posion isn't a good idea. Despite what you see in the Westerns, neurotoxins and hemotixins can affect you even if you split them out. In some cases the one who sucked the poision will end up in a worse sitation the the one who got bit, due in part to the posioning occuring in the mouth, not far from the brain, and part of the digestive system (double whammy).

See, that's why we need treat poison as an advanced skill rather than relying on First Aid. :D

Archer said:
Example;

Both characters roll.

If only one succeeds, they won
If both succeed, whoever rolled the highest wins
If both fail, whoever rolled the lowest wins

Then its settled, the best solution is to force the youngest/newest/most easily bullied member of you play group role up Chalana Arroy initiate.

Archer said:
Example;

I'd say this isn't an opposed roll as the snake has no "poison skill" - once bitten the poison is in there and they have to make the standard "anti-poison" resilience test to fight it off. Once the poison is in their bloodstream the snake plays no active part in the test so it isn't opposed.

mthomason said:
Archer said:
Example;

I'd say this isn't an opposed roll as the snake has no "poison skill" - once bitten the poison is in there and they have to make the standard "anti-poison" resilience test to fight it off. Once the poison is in their bloodstream the snake plays no active part in the test so it isn't opposed.

Unless poisons have a Potency rating.

Such as Venom, Potency 50. You could have to make an opposed roll of Resilience versus the Potency.

Just a thought.

Rurik said:
Unless poisons have a Potency rating.

Such as Venom, Potency 50. You could have to make an opposed roll of Resilience versus the Potency.

Just a thought.

Ahh.. I was just reading the description of an opposed test and it specifically states it's made when a character must "pit his skill against that of an opponent", I took it literally without reading on to see that poisons have potencies, sorry! :)

It is indeed an opposed test with the character testing against resilience and the poison testing against it's potency (and the same applies to diseases)

That was pure speculation on my part. There may not be Potencies for poison in MRQ.

I am waiting for my copy like most everyone else.

mthomason said:
Archer said:
Example;

Both characters roll.

But roll what? STR x5%?

mthomason said:
Archer said:
Example;

Both characters roll.

Yes!
So basically it follows the "Roll below you score, but higher than the opponent" principle. I love that one. I have voiced my opinion on replacing the resistance table with that rule for many years :)

Would that be a STR x 5% roll on a d100 or a d20 vs STR roll?

mthomason said:
Archer said:
Example;

No, but how is the ability to cope with the poison handled mechanically?

Is it a straight Resilience skill roll, with a modifier based of the strength of the poison?

I think a better question would be; How do poisons work in the rules?

The poison roll is an opposed roll of the Potency of the Poison (10-100) vs. the Resilience skill of the character.

Hyrum.

atgxtg said:
But roll what? STR x5%?

Tests directly against characteristics aren't covered specifically (unless I've missed it in skimming through), so it looks like a GM decision to me. Newbies would probably test directly against STR because there's nothing in the rules to suggest otherwise, and RQ vets will probably go for STR x5% (or possibly a smaller multiplier if you armwrestle something with STR>20) because it's what they're used to. I'd say as long as the GM came up with something fair that gave the character with the greater STR a greater chance of winning then I'd be happy.

If it was something big in my campaign I'd probably give characters a new "arm wrestling" skill based on something like (2xSTR)+CON (representing the effect of CON on being able to stay in a long contest if necessary)

HyrumOWC said:
The poison roll is an opposed roll of the Potency of the Poison (10-100) vs. the Resilience skill of the character.

Hyrum.

Thank you for that answer :)

Which basically means there are situations where you might fail to resist, but also the posion fails to do anything (too little poison in the bloodstream).

Back