• Roaring Success, absolutely love it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Utter dissapointment, not worth 15 pence let alone 15 quid

• Marginal success, the good outweighs the bad

• marginal dissapointment, not bad, but could be better

• I don't care, a game is a game, lets just play!

• I'm on the wrong forum, which way to BFG?

• Total voters
actually fought a game tonight that had alot of fighters, the narn were hitting some of my ships with 7 fighters a round for about 3 rounds, 28 AD and it wasnt all bad.

Pauly_D said:
Nomad said:
I viscerally detest the 'fighters fire first' rule.

why? if they dont fire first they mostly get destroyed before they can do anything

'cause it was the "easy" way out to fixing the fighters. It doesnt feel right at all for the fiction, and the way AF ships,etc work. There were alot of suggestions on this board that I think would have been better choices.

Geekybiker said:
Pauly_D said:
Nomad said:

why? if they dont fire first they mostly get destroyed before they can do anything

'cause it was the "easy" way out to fixing the fighters. It doesnt feel right at all for the fiction, and the way AF ships,etc work. There were alot of suggestions on this board that I think would have been better choices.

It's easy and it's balanced. A good fix.

Never understood why they go all at once or last, movement kinda makes sense. Why not say fire them in groups of 4 or something, give you the choice whether fire fighters or not. Hardest part is keeping track of who has fired but wait place a dice/counter and thats sorted.

That was a popular and tactically interesting suggestion. The most common number suggested was the number of flights you get at the purchase pl regardless of actual origin.

The answer in Arm. is not balanced or it would have affected the races equally. It did not. Races who were by no means weak were strengthened by virtue of the numerous ship board flights now getting free shots and/or by having very strong dogfighters virtually ensuring fighter superiority. Races that depended on anti-fighter systems and/or with weak or few dogfighters that they did not have to give up ships for were weakened.

This rule is easy, quick and not fairly clear. It does not drastically affect the central races of the game. It does drastically affect the operation of certain league races. We will not see the results of this change until someone sits down and tries to break it. Much like folks were saying that earth force was not a competative fleet until follks sat down and figured out you needed to take enough of any one thing to make it work. Or as we found out the first time fighters shot first, someone figured out the best way to make the fighters pay for themselves.

It may turn out to be more balanced than I fear, but it is certainly not balanced in regards to some races right now, and I think we have yet to see the impact.

Ripple

I voted 'marginal disappointment'...I like the rule updates including fighters (I need more gameplay with this change). The Armageddon ship stats are OK I guess. Minis are blah.

I do find this book overpriced and overhyped. The 'Miniatures' section I find appalling and could hear a cash register 'ka-ching!' every time I turned the page. Someone mentioned the repeat EA list information taking up space...'ka-ching!'

Lastly, along with the typos - numerous photos appear stretched vertically or horizontally. As someone who designs print and electronic media for a living this sort of thing is unacceptable. No way this was intentional!...?

If Mongoose is going to release 'one major book per year' I certainly hope it'd be of higher caliber than this.

Don't take this as 'everyone's dumping on A so I'm going to too'. I too am calling it as I see it, only I'm doing the calling $25+shipping poorer...:x

I voted for total loss. It represents a massive step backwards from the progress made in the already published Tourney list, complete with a fundamentally game-altering priority-level purchasing system that throws all the previous fleet purchase mechanics out the window with the bathwater. All of our previous understanding of priority levels and purchases in fights are immediately irrelevant.

And I thought we concluded that 6-ship squadrons were a bad thing -- it's what made the Pentacon busted -- not a good thing. Now everyone get 'em. Silly me. Can't wait for the 6-Sullust / 6 Tinashi / 6 Drakh CL volleys. Whoopee!

Not.

It feels like more foresight went into the diplomatic negociations with North Korea. The pundits knew what was going to happen, published ideas and solutions -- and the initiative predictably failed anyways. Smells like foreign policy, indeed.

CAN SOME ONE HELP ME WITH THIS

ok i was under the understanding that the new armageddon would cancal out tourny stats and what was not found in armageddon you would use SFOS i must be wrong because for example the whitestar is not in armageddon so that would mean you would have to use the SFOS stats,
please tell me i am wrong

There is a item, in the Armageddon FAQ, that explicitly changes a small list of ships. The WS changes are encapsulated there.

Or so I hear.

waldronbob350 said:
CAN SOME ONE HELP ME WITH THIS

ok i was under the understanding that the new armageddon would cancal out tourny stats and what was not found in armageddon you would use SFOS i must be wrong because for example the whitestar is not in armageddon so that would mean you would have to use the SFOS stats,
please tell me i am wrong
The white star is changed in Armageddon.

I've been using the Armageddon changes for about a month (surprising what you can learn on this forum...) and got the book a couple of days ago. I'm quite happy with it in general, although I'm going to need to get another couple of Omegas to make up for losing the Orestes from the Third Age list. The only thing I'm not so sure of is the Hyperion stats for the Early Years list. Don't thing they should have Heavy Lasers. At best I'd think some of them may have had Oracle-style Medium Lasers. Or are all of the pre-2246 versions Assault Cruisers ?

Hyperions got mounted with hvy lasers at the end of the EM war, cant recall ever seeing anything about them carrying medium lasers. I would imagine that the Armaggeddon Early EA is set just after the EM war ???

Basically ill nevev buy the book.

Just get the usual rulebook guy to lend it to me for a few days. And forumites are rather nice people, anything you need can be gleaned from here ^^.

And unfortunately that has nothing to do with the rules changes, but rather with the bad mniatures (in cases where you can still call them that). I have some as big models myself. But every single one is of higher quality than those.....

cant recall ever seeing anything about them carrying medium lasers.

That's from the Dilgar War stuff in B5W. That had Hyperions and Novas armed with Medium Laser Cannon throughout...without enough power to arm all of them at once. (The Hyperions may also have had Plasma Cannon - I can't remember.)

There were no Laser/Pulse Arrays for the Nova at that time, as Pulse weapons were developed after the war.

Yep, the Hyperion had lots of plasma cannons. Although it actually had Particle cannons not Medium Lasers. It was the Hecate (a Hyperion by another name, a fluff attempt to disguise an updated cruiser design as a testbed, to avoid budget restraints...) that had the lasers.

Nick

Pauly_D said:
Nomad said:

Because the new fighter rules read "And you thought hull 4 ships were bad before. Try playing Vree now suckers!". The answer to play Tzymms is not an answer. They'll be so badly outnumbered by enemy fighters to basically be free points and the Vree will still get mauled and with less ships too.

It also makes a lot of other ships that depend on the anti-fighter trait as a balancing factor useless.

Maybe any ship with the anti-fighter trait should be allowed to fire first against fighters?
An exception to the current Arma rule?

JayRaider said:
Maybe any ship with the anti-fighter trait should be allowed to fire first against fighters?
An exception to the current Arma rule?

That would be a start at least, and my biggest WTF? with the new fighter rules. I would have rather just seen fighters be nominated for fire in the normal turn order though. You want to jump that ship before it can fire? Okay, but you give up a firing slot of a capital ship to do so.

Also the stealth, while easier to hit is still the same frustrating mechanic. :( I feel like it went sideways instead of forward. seriously, how hard would have been to have failed stealth halve your AD, or add +2 to your to hit number?

A hate to say it but haven't we known that was going to be the stealth change since long before Armageddon came out. Back then lots of people seemed to be happy with it...

Nick

Back