Anyone picked up the book yet?

You got to be kidding me...

Oh, wait...it's Game Parlor, isn't it? You have to chat them up constantly to get them to be aware of anything...

Hiromoon said:
You got to be kidding me...

Oh, wait...it's Game Parlor, isn't it? You have to chat them up constantly to get them to be aware of anything...

Yeah, it was. :oops: I don't suppose anyone knows if Eagle and Empire got them?

Got my book this morning and had a quick flick through.

The printing itself is fine - apart from the Global News insert at the back which looks like a low quality scan.

The binding of the main body of text into the book looks a bit ropey - the hardcover looks to be bigger across the spine than it needs to be for the number of pages contained, and there are 2 or 3 blank pages at the begining and the end of the book, one of which is bound to the cover and another to the main body of text. The glueing here is a bit haphazzard and where the first printed page is stuck to one of the plain ones the glue has splurged out and the two don't open out properly. I suspect that this binding will be the weak point and in all probability the insides will drop out.

Also it looks like where the pages have been cut they have been cropped too close to the outside edge, so the pages all have a wide border on one side and a small one on the outside edge. Nothing that impacts on the readability of the book, but it just looks a bit ropey.

To me it looks like there are the right number of pages to have made this a perfect bound softcover book.

G

It never seizes to amaze me how little effort publishes seem to put into the final stages.

Honestly... if pages are going to fall out after one or two or even ten reads... I'm NOT buying.

Pisses me off... this problem was common place in the Game industry during the early 80's... Some publishers have learned since then.

Others I guess refuse to learn.

Fine.

I refuse to buy.

/wolf

To be fair to MGP they have only jsut started publishing their own books, I believe this is their 1st publication.

I just hope that they improve on this, its important to the long term future of their games that they don't publish sub-standard games. One thing I will credit GW with the excellent quality of the books they publish, its just a shame the contents doesn't often match the strengh of the book. The number of highly batter copies of the 3rd ed rules I have seen that are still properly bound is a good tribute to their publisher.

cordas said:
To be fair to MGP they have only jsut started publishing their own books, I believe this is their 1st publication.

Understandable, but if they expect me to help out with their tuition fees, they're in for a nasty surprise. :evil:

cordas said:
One thing I will credit GW with the excellent quality of the books they publish/../

Agreed, they made their misstakes during the 80's and learned from it.

So here's my message to MGP: "LEARN IT! Let me know when you have a durable product to sell and I'll give you my dough. I'm 80% book fetishist... and a book that transforms itself into a pile of paper within a couple of weeks is a NO SALE! to me."

/wolf

GhostWolf69 said:
Honestly... if pages are going to fall out after one or two or even ten reads... I'm NOT buying.

I feel your pain!
I remeber when I recieved my copy of Ends of Empire for Wraith the oblivion, got it shipped over from the US, removed the bulk packaging, and then the shrink wrap, open it up to have a flick through... and the pages came loose... I wasn't best pleased :evil:

Yup. R Talsorian had the same problem with a few of their books as well (The Far East, Listen up you primitive screheads!, Chromebook 4 and so on) as did Alderac Entertainment, my 7th Sea and 5 Rings rulebooks departed their bindings shortly after opening.

G.

my 2 rule books ahve been thrown around abit and used feverishly by our group of gamers, and so far no loss of pages !!!! if you get it in a store look at several copies and be choosy and nab the one you think is best for you, maybe i was just lucky with my 2.

that said people prefer tp complain than compliment and gamers are the worse for this.

not saying the binding could not have been done better cuz it could have but then as we all know they are looking for staff in the print section so its just a momentary thing in theory.

Mine came today in the mail. However my godmother has it with her :cry: due to grabbing the mail on her way out to run errands. Won't be back for another hour or so...

GhostWolf69 said:
Fine.

I refuse to buy.

/wolf
So then wait 2-3 months and check your fellow player's books. Condemning a book before you've seen it, based on 2nd hand internet reports of a book that's not even a week old and not even had a chance to show it's durability seems a bit rash to me.

Have just picked up a copy for a mate today and it seems like its in good shape. Unfortunatly there is some glue down the back cover that I didn't notice in the shop (it was the only copy on display anyway), but I am sure that will wash off.

Having had a 30min flick through on the way home the book seems well constructed and I am tempted to not tell my mate I got it for a few days :twisted: to give me a good chance to read it before handing it over...

cordas said:
Unfortunatly there is some glue down the back cover that I didn't notice in the shop (it was the only copy on display anyway), but I am sure that will wash off.

Two things:
a) Who washes his books? :?:
b) are you sure it's glue? :shock:

/wolf

Paladin said:
So then wait 2-3 months and check your fellow player's books. Condemning a book before you've seen it, based on 2nd hand internet reports of a book that's not even a week old and not even had a chance to show it's durability seems a bit rash to me.

I agree. It IS rash, and not just "a bit".

I will definetly take a close scrutinising look at it in the store and think long and hard. BUt by the time my store has it available (concidering he still cannot place the order with Alliance, and this is over seas we're talking about and he's not gonna place an order simply for this one book for me or anything; ready it will take a couple of weeks for me to get the bloody thing) I will probably have had the chance to read more about the quality of it on this here thread.

So a) better informed and b) with the product in hand, I will make my final desicion.

But at the moment it's NOT looking good. And I like getting angry about shit like this. Lets me keep my edge.

/wolf

GhostWolf69 said:
cordas said:
Unfortunatly there is some glue down the back cover that I didn't notice in the shop (it was the only copy on display anyway), but I am sure that will wash off.

Two things:
a) Who washes his books? :?:
b) are you sure it's glue? :shock:

/wolf

a) I do quite often..... getting the bloody glue off after they put all them bloody stickers on them. (also have occasionaly washed books in the bath :oops: )

b) I don't want to know what you think it might be.

To be honest, the glueing of the front inside pages is a bit "bubbly" but thats not a problem for me. Someone mentioned that it looks like the cover is a size too big for the number of pages and thats not a bad way of describing it. We'll have to see how they hold up to use and being carted around.

Thiat ia a little less important to me as mine will likely end up with the binding cut off and it being spiral bound.

I do understand though.

Well after reading most of the book (and losing the feeling below my knees) I'd say that it's pretty well done. Although perhaps a bit small for a hardcover its less likely to get damaged as fast as a paperback. I can't wait till we get Air units!

Back