Anyone picked up the book yet?

The only thing I would like to see in the MRB is a few more ready action, (and a list of them where ready is in the book would be nice, rather than having to surf the advanced rules to find them).

I am sure it was mentioned before the books release that there where going to be ready actions that the rest of the squad could take whilst the MG gunner was readying that, but I can't find any as they all say they are squad actions, not model actions. I suppose a simple house rule will cover that but...

P.S. It is glue on the back cover of the rule book that I bought for my mate, I have washed a little off, will let him take off the rest because I was getting frustrated and thinking of getting a pan scrubber to do the job, but realise that this might damage his book.

Hi guys,

Just a quick note - this book is _not_ on general release yet, and the copies some people have are advance ones.

We are just starting to ship out production copies of BF Evo (and other books), so keep your eye out. . .

msprange said:
Hi guys,

Just a quick note - this book is _not_ on general release yet, and the copies some people have are advance ones.

We are just starting to ship out production copies of BF Evo (and other books), so keep your eye out. . .

Ah, that explains why Alliance doesn't have it in stock yet. Thank you.

/wolf

weasel_fierce said:
A campaign system is mentioned. Is there any rules for gaining experience for your units ?

Not per se. There are "Favored Units" which gain upgrades if at least half of the unit survives. There are different upgrades for different types of units. You roll a d6 and compare it to the tables in the Campaign section.

Superjaded said:
Sigh.

Why can't you just say "Yup. They jacked it up. Too bad. Let's hope they do better."

Instead of riffing on people who get mad about a BOOK THAT IS FALLING APART. Excuse the CRAP Outta them for being mad that the book they spent their hard earned money on just selfdestructed. Oh lord, don't say anything. Please, cause Evil might get upset and make snarky comments.

Trying to defend a crappy product is like saying: "Hey! It's Mongoose you shouldn't have such high standards... "

And honsetly, I don't believe that Mongoose would be satisfied with a policy like that. They shouldn't. And neither should we (their customers).

So in my book; if I'm not happy with something I'll let them know. It's the only way they will every get a chance learn and improve.

/wolf

I can't remember reading anyone saying their book was falling to bits, having seen the copy I bought for a mate I don't think they will be falling to bits any time soon, they seem well and truely bound, the problems are more that the finished product realeased so far doesn't seem to be terribly well finished.

If you have a prob with this then hold fire on buying the book until the new lot get in. Having seen the quality improvement from wave 1 to wave 2 figures I will hold off buying the rule book for a couple of weeks (well until I have enough money to spare).

cordas said:
I can't remember reading anyone saying their book was falling to bits, having seen the copy I bought for a mate I don't think they will be falling to bits any time soon, they seem well and truely bound, the problems are more that the finished product realeased so far doesn't seem to be terribly well finished.

No but there has been a couple of posts describing the poor binding-job.... give it a few more days... and we'll have pages flying around this place.

Hopefully not though. I'm still waiting for the book to show up in stores, and by that time we will see.

/wolf

I ordered mine today, hoping for it to arrive next week, i'm really thrilled about reading it.. somebody tell me the number of pages so i know how much goodiegoodie-reading i have to look forward to:D

I have just recieved my copy. The binding on mine is bad. The pages are not glued or attached to the actual hard back spine. Instead, the pages are attached to the front and back white page, which is glued to the front and back cover. Thus, there is a large gap between the spine and the actual pages of the book.

Whether or not the pages begin to fall out with continued use, the quality of the binding is pretty shocking for a professional product. From what has been said elswhere on this thread, this is not a one off. As such, Mongoose must in have known the product was shoddy. Given the amount of delays in releasing it, one would have hoped that it would have been better.

If Mongoose are now printing all their own books then they need to sort it out. Binding like this for some of the bigger books in the pipeline (Conan books etc) only spells trouble.

That my 2 cents worth, anyway.

Iorwerth said:
I have just recieved my copy. The binding on mine is bad. The pages are not glued or attached to the actual hard back spine. Instead, the pages are attached to the front and back white page, which is glued to the front and back cover. Thus, there is a large gap between the spine and the actual pages of the book.

There will always be a gap on hardback books, between the block (pages) and the spine - the pages are never attached to the spine itself, or the book would be unable to open properly.

To hide this gap, a lot of printers use a piece of cloth, which gives the illusion of being cloth-bound. Most of them will not be and, if you were to tear the book apart, you would see this cloth only runs perhaps 1cm deep into the spine. However, it looks attractive, and we will be adding this to our books ASAP.

However, you will always have a gap between pages and spine in a hardback, even if that gap seems to be filled with something else.

msprange said:

Err... I just received my copy yesterday.
I've just made an order online in the beginning of the week in a UK shop, so is this a advance copy, or a production copy?

Anyway, where goes the first look:

Printing of the hardcover is fine. Only the corners of the front cover were not properly terminated/glued/cut on the inside, some longer white points still showing.

The printing of the pages inside is overall fine, some images look better than others, apart from the final Global News insert at the end which definitely looks like a low resolution scan.

All the pages have a noticeable crop on the outside edge.
A small crop, don't really influence the inner content and the reading of the pages, affects more the title of the sections, but it is there.

The crop is more noticeable in the the final low res Global News insert at the end. There some text on the edges was simply cut of.

The binding. The many body of pages seemed to be attached to the cover by the 2 or 3 blank pages at the beginning and the end of the book. Not sure if the glueing is strong enough or not. A possible weak point during the use of the book.

The spine has some empty gap, usually filled with some glued tissue or cloth in this type of binding, but not present here. The gap is more visible on top in my copy.

The width of the pages seemed to be a bit wide for the cover being used, nearly no margin at the edge of the cover. Probably the crop at the outer edge of the pages was done to try to minimize this aspect?

Let me say that I also received the MGP VaS Hardcover book with my order, a very similar book in the binding and cover used, and the book is not affected by any of these issues.

This sounds verry much like an early advance copy (some went out to mail order customers who had been waiting for books the longest).

Drop me a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com - as always, your purchases at Mongoose will always be guaranteed, and anyone who has opne of these copies and is not satisfied need just let me know, and we'll get a production copy out to you.

Thanks for that. I am no expert on book binding (though not being an expert has never stopped me shooting off!). Now I know about the cloth thingy and pages never being attached to the spine, it does make sense. But, the gap on mine does look very big.

Anyway, thanks for getting back and sorting me out.

My LGS got 5 copies of the book. In three of them the pages actaully stuck out over the top edge of the cover of the book. I did not see the condition of the other book that was kept but the one I did pick up has smudged glue on both front and rear covers (not noticeable unless you run your hand over the front/back) along with a series of dents/dings (again not noticeable until you run your hand over the product). There are extra pages glued into the front and back that are uneven and after several page throughs the book simply does not open cleanly. I have not noticed anything wrong with the print in the book but the cover/bindings definately leave something to be desired.

As I sit here looking at it I now notice a strip of bare cardboard on the back cover where the inner cover did not quite match up its corners. Sigh. Been one of those days.....

So have the production copies started shipping yet? I ordered one the 1st and have been eagerly awaiting it. Haven't been this excited for a book in years.

see id rather have a slighty sub standard advance copy ahead of time than a pristeen copy at a later date, wich is why im probably never that bothered about the little niggles.

its sorta the price i pay for my impatiance. blood bowl years ago had a huge print mistage where 12 pages were missing i thing but in their place was arepeat of another 12 pages, ok only 6 bits of paper but not good. all companies suffer this problem now and then differance is you allowed to complain about it on mongoose forums without getting it deleted unless it gets into a flame war.

just my current thoughts.

Back