Any change to the Experience system?

HyrumOWC said:
Die rolls, Legendary Abilities, get out of jail free card. ;)

:D :D :D HERO POINTS! :D :D :D
116fs302755.gif

HyrumOWC said:
There's no "tick" per hours of play. The rules suggest 2-3 "checks" per session, plus 1-2 Hero Points, modified by the GM and how fast he wants advancement to happen.

You get 1% or you hope to roll over and get +1d6%.

Hyrum.

Not to step on your toes Hyrum, but in the SRD I've got, if you roll above skill, the increase is a D4+1%, and a flat +1% if you roll under the skill on the improvement roll. We might have different versions though :wink:

The other cute thing is if you don't get an attribute increase when spending the 3 Improvement rolls, you still get a 1% increase in 1 of the skills governed by the Attribute you were trying to raise.

Claymore Driftwood Pub said:
Not to step on your toes Hyrum, but in the SRD I've got, if you roll above skill, the increase is a D4+1%, and a flat +1% if you roll under the skill on the improvement roll. We might have different versions though :wink:

The other cute thing is if you don't get an attribute increase when spending the 3 Improvement rolls, you still get a 1% increase in 1 of the skills governed by the Attribute you were trying to raise.

Nope, you're right. I hadn't looked at the file in awhile and I have no idea where the +1d6 came from. Must have been the house rule from my old RQ games.

Sorry for the wrong info guys. :(

+1d4+1% if you roll over, +1% if you roll equal to or less.

Hyrum.

HyrumOWC said:
Nope, you're right. I hadn't looked at the file in awhile and I have no idea where the +1d6 came from. Must have been the house rule from my old RQ games.

Actually, that is exactly the way 3rd Edition worked. If you rolled over your skill, you get 1D6% (second edition was a flat +5%). You didn't get anything though if you rolled under your skill (unless the roll was a 96%+)

HyrumOWC said:

Actually, that is exactly the way 3rd Edition worked. If you rolled over your skill, you get 1D6% (second edition was a flat +5%). You didn't get anything though if you rolled under your skill (unless the roll was a 96%+)

Makes sense. :) Most of the RQ I played was 3rd Ed.

You going to GenCon?

Hyrum.

I like the way that sounds. Overall I'd say what I've heard/read of the changes to the system (experience or otherwise) sound pretty good.

I'd also like to say how proud I am of my little thread and how its grown. You like to feel your kids are making an impression on those around them. ;)

DD

HyrumOWC said:
There's no "tick" per hours of play. The rules suggest 2-3 "checks" per session, plus 1-2 Hero Points, modified by the GM and how fast he wants advancement to happen.
Actually p94 suggests1 to 5 improvement rolls and 0 to 4 Hero Points per story [Which may encompase several gaming sessions].

With 1 to 10 sessions of 2 to 6 hours per adventure.

Taking median numbers and assuming story = Adventure(or Quest) that comes out as 5.5 sessions of 4 hours for the average adventure or 1 improvement roll every 7 hours or so on average.

GbajiTheDeceiver said:
It might be just a suggestion about the rate characters should advance at, you know.

So?

It is the only rule on how often you should get improvement rolls from play [as opposed to down time]. And at heart that suggestion breaks down to 1 improvement role every 5-7 hours real time with more frequent rolls if the players get through adventures faster [i.e. don't roleplay much]. In other words a fluffier version of the system Gurps uses. Especially after you consider its the only rule on how to get Hero points. Which you need 10 or 12 of to buy runelord or priest status.

Remember previous RQ's didn't reference real world time for thier experience system being entirely based on character actions [both in main play and downtime].

Hi,

Having picked up MRQ at Continuum over the weekend, I have a couple of questions about the experience system:

1/ The rules don't say that you need to have used a skill to allocate it an experience roll. This was true in earlier versions, but I assume not now - you can try to improve any skill regardless of usage?

2/ The rules don't say if you can allocate more than 1 skill roll to a skill. e.g. if I have a skill at 100%, and get 3 improvement rolls, can I allocate all of them to that skill to get +3%, or is it one roll per skill per session?

3/ improvement over 100% is very much slowed down from earlier versions, whereby your minimum chance to improve would end up about 5-10%. Now you are only going to be able to get 1% at a time.

cheers,

Mark

d(sqrt(-1)) said:
1/ The rules don't say that you need to have used a skill to allocate it an experience roll.

2/ The rules don't say if you can allocate more than 1 skill roll to a skill.

3/ improvement over 100% is very much slowed down from earlier versions, whereby your minimum chance to improve would end up about 5-10%. Now you are only going to be able to get 1% at a time.
I suspect a good number of groups with access to RQ2-3 will ditch the MQ experience system in favor of the previous use=check system.

Being able to allocate multiple checks to a single skill seems problematic for combat skills -- attack and parry(block) have been combined in one skill, generally making two-handed weapons and dual wielding faster to advance than using a weapon + shield.

I can't say for sure until I think it through, but it seems that MQ has changed skill diversity for homegeniety (although, as pointed out, once you are good with one weapon, you can spend your points on another without any risk of having to use an unskilled weapon).

I suspect a good number of groups with access to RQ2-3 will ditch the MQ experience system in favor of the previous use=check system.

Isn't that identical to CoC? I always liked that system.

Mac V said:

Isn't that identical to CoC? I always liked that system.

Similar, but not indentical.

In RQ2 a player needed to roll under 100-Skill or less. THe chance of improvement was increased by 3% per point on INT over 12. In addtrion the chance of improvement could never be lower than the character's INT score.
Skills could only be raised to 100, unless the character was a Rune Lord (a few other excpetions existed too) in which case skills could go above 100.

In RQ3, a player needed to roll 1D100 over the current skill score. THe difference with CoC here is that the player added the category modifer to the roll. IN RQ, skills are grouped according to categories (Agility, Manipulation, Knowledge, Perception, and so forth). A character's attributes would give modifers to the different categories. For example, a character with a 15 INT would add 5% to all his knoweldge skills, as well as 5% to the roll to see if it improved.
Also in RQ3, skills could be imrpoved past 100% if the imrpovement roll was over 100, the skill would improve.

Urox said:

I am wonderif the RQ2/3 groups will do that, or just stick with theRQ2/3 rules and port over those things they like from MRQ.

Does anyone know if MRQ has rules for improvment through training or did Mongoose "streamline" that out of the book?

atgxtg said:
Urox said:

I am wonderif the RQ2/3 groups will do that, or just stick with theRQ2/3 rules and port over those things they like from MRQ.

Does anyone know if MRQ has rules for improvment through training or did Mongoose "streamline" that out of the book?

Training is in there. :)

Hyrum.

d(sqrt(-1)) said:
Hi,

Having picked up MRQ at Continuum over the weekend, I have a couple of questions about the experience system:

1/ The rules don't say that you need to have used a skill to allocate it an experience roll. This was true in earlier versions, but I assume not now - you can try to improve any skill regardless of usage?

Actually, you needed to successfully use the skill, and no, this version does not have this restriction. I'd rule however you must use the skill at least 1 time during the system under stress to allocate a check into it.

d(sqrt(-1)) said:
2/ The rules don't say if you can allocate more than 1 skill roll to a skill. e.g. if I have a skill at 100%, and get 3 improvement rolls, can I allocate all of them to that skill to get +3%, or is it one roll per skill per session?

It isn't clear in the rules, but I would only allow 1 roll per skill per session.

HyrumOWC said:
Training is in there. :)

Hyrum.

Good. Thanks Hyrum.

THe training rules, although disliked by a lot of the D&Ders who I got to play RQ, were popular with my RQ players, and were something that got used in my campaigns.

I have fond memories of an advenutre where the PCs were put in charge of a fort that guarded a stategic pass. THe PCs were aware that the enemy was going to attack in the spring, and so used the winter months to train up the men at the fort. It is amazing what going from 25% to 50% can do to an archer's effectiveness. Especially when you train up a couple of dozen archers.

Actually, you needed to successfully use the skill, and no, this version does not have this restriction. I'd rule however you must use the skill at least 1 time during the system under stress to allocate a check into it.
Pass or fail. I'd rule the same ... with the addendum that anyone who declared they were spending time practicing a skill they didn't actually get a chance to use could allocate a skill to that.

Thus, our budding junior sorceror (once we get rules for sorcery) could state that he's spending time practicing his magicks, even if the session focused more on his mundane abilities at climbing, stealth, and the use of a pick-lock.
It isn't clear in the rules, but I would only allow 1 roll per skill per session.
Me neither.

Doug.

Back