An Introduction and Questions

Gromel

Mongoose
I've been reading this board for several weeks now, since I got my hands on this fine game. Finally felt like now was the time to become a member of the board, and say hello.

With civilities dealt with, I have two questions:-

1. Sent off to join the Sons of Cimmeria group today. I realise this is a bit late, so I'm wondering, what have I missed so far? And are there any hints on what we can expect in the future?

2. Im currently attempting to organize a Conan session with my group. Unfortunatly, they have only seen the films and cartoons, and sternly want nothing to do with the game. Any ideas on how to change these views (introductionary websites on REH etc)? Its either that, or im introducing some other less experianced and more open minded fellows to RPGs, from the beginning :?

Thanks In Advance for any replies...

Well, AFAIK you haven't missed any Sons of Cimmeria content yet (I haven't received any content yet, so I hope I'm right... ;))

With regards to breaking in new players: have you seen this thread - http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1827

it's got some good advice that I won't bother to repeat here. Worth a look IMO.

I've got no news from Sons of Cimmeria either, so I assume the program isn't ready yet. Did anybody receive anything ?

Hyena said:
I've got no news from Sons of Cimmeria yet, so I assume the program isn't ready yet. Did anybody receive anything ?

I believe Mongoose Matt said somewhere that we would get welcoming Emails sometime in April -- I can't remember if he said beginning, middle or end, though.

Gromel said:
Any ideas on how to change these views (introductionary websites on REH etc)? Its either that, or im introducing some other less experianced and more open minded fellows to RPGs, from the beginning :?

Hi Gromel,

Check out http://hyboria.xoth.net/ it has a lot of cool info, and pictures from some of the great comics.

Oh, and if they're literate, why not have them read a few REH stories? :wink:

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Gromel , my faithful acolyte ! the eighteen long years under my tutelage are past and you are now a warrior in your own right . If you can't get your friends to read REH , try putting them on to the Robert Jordan Conan novels . As he's better known as a "standard" fantasy writer , this might convince them to look at the background as a bit less cheesy and give it a try . I have a couple of them in The Library of Doom if you need them .
Your ever - watching Mentor ,
Cornelius :wink:

To each his own I gues... but I wouldn't touch Jordan with a ten foot pole.

http://www.geocities.com/brokenwheeloftime/

/wolf

Did they specify why they didn't want to play? That might help us help you...

I had a few reluctant players as well, but fortunately I also had a few Conan fans who really did want to play. It didn't take long for the skeptics to come around, and now they love it. We find it's a refreshing change of pace.

SS

I had some trouble selling Conan to my players too. They all went by the classic stereotype : 'game about muscular, brainless barbarians in fur thongs fucking women in silk underwear and killing everything else'. I explained the sword & sorcery genre to them, emphasised his larger-than-life aspect, and shamelessly exagerated the system's innovations. At the end they agreed to make a try. It was about time, I was considering rolling myself on the floor while making a tantrum... I laid to some 'good conduct' rules to show my will to distance myself from the stereotype and voila ! First game thursday !

Hyena said:
'game about muscular, brainless barbarians in fur thongs <explicit deleted> women in silk underwear and killing everything else'

So... where's the problem?
Seems to me like they nailed the collected works of REH right there! :lol:

/wolf

My group hates - or so they believe - anything not D&D, but they also know that I've been known to end D&D campaigns if I don't get to try the new cool game I'm hung up on at the moment.

It also helped that this is based on the same d20 system as D&D, and that you accumulate XP, gain levels, and pick feats just about did it. They'll miss their damn elves and dwarves, but I couldn't be happier. :twisted:

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Yokiboy said:
My group hates - or so they believe - anything not D&D, but they also know that I've been known to end D&D campaigns if I don't get to try the new cool game I'm hung up on at the moment.

Yokiboy

Oh you do that do ?! He he ! GO US ! Let's show those player-only types who's the boss ! :twisted:

Sorry to threadjack, but thanks, Wolf, for anti-Jordan site. Love it. A friend cajoled me into reading his first book in the Wheel of Time series. So damn awful. Eating a bucket a glass is a less daunting task than trudging through one of his books.

I feel his association with Conan somehow sullies the goodness of REH.

Stupid Robert Jordan.

bampf said:
Sorry to threadjack, but thanks, Wolf, for anti-Jordan site. Love it. A friend cajoled me into reading his first book in the Wheel of Time series. So damn awful. Eating a bucket a glass is a less daunting task than trudging through one of his books.

I feel his association with Conan somehow sullies the goodness of REH.

Stupid Robert Jordan.

My pleasure!

/wolf

I'll have to second the motion on the Wheel of Time being like eating broken glass. I never did finish the first book.

On the other, Jordan's wannabe Howard stories are better than Jordan's wannabe Tolkein stories. I didn't find Jordan's Conan pastiches any worse or better than other Conan patiches (i.e., not a bad diversion if you don't really try to compare it too hard).

DrSkull said:
I'll have to second the motion on the Wheel of Time being like eating broken glass. I never did finish the first book.

On the other, Jordan's wannabe Howard stories are better than Jordan's wannabe Tolkein stories. I didn't find Jordan's Conan pastiches any worse or better than other Conan patiches (i.e., not a bad diversion if you don't really try to compare it too hard).

I personally liked Jordan's Conan pastiches, haven't read the Wheel of Time series though.

Thanks to you all for your helpfull replies. I was considering torturing them, but now, I have a few more plans :wink:

One of the players is a huge fan of Robert Jordan, so that might be my best bet. Bought the Masterworks collection of the short Conan stories at the weekend, in an attempt to get them to try it (lets just say I really wan tot run this game!).

They all seem to have the same idea of Conan being the dumb barbarian, and think Conan has something to do with Hackmaster :cry:

Worth a try though. Again, thanks for the much larger than expected responce...

Back