AFV turret

DrSkull

Mongoose
The individual beam lasers in the AFV turret only do 4d6 (=laser carbine). It seems a pretty weak weapon for a fighting vehicle. I know you can fire up to 3 at the same target, but that isn't particulalry awesome. Are we to assume that if you fire all 3 at the same target it is a 12d6 single attack, or just 3 4d6 attacks which have to overcome armor separately?

I haven't playtested it but I'd say the 3 would be separate attacks. But don't forget to add in the Effect result to the damage.

It should be easy to extrapolate how much room the 3 laser "rifles" take and replace them with other weaponry like a P/FGMP and/or rocket launcher.

SSWarlock said:
It should be easy to extrapolate how much room the 3 laser "rifles" take and replace them with other weaponry like a P/FGMP and/or rocket launcher.

And of course there is the main tank of imperium which has FGMP turret.

tneva82 said:
And of course there is the main tank of imperium which has FGMP turret.

Exactly. Though the vehicle armor would need to be upgraded. Laser rifle damage on a first string Imperial main battle tank would just make it angry.

I think it sounds like a perception issue. The AFV is not a MBT. It's role is very light armored support/anti-personnel suppression. All it needs is a light weapon. And it's probably all it can "fit" in the light turret due to weight, space and/or power draw.

Right tool for the right job and all. If you need more than a triple threat light laser turret the AFV is not what you should be driving :)

far-trader said:
I think it sounds like a perception issue. The AFV is not a MBT. It's role is very light armored support/anti-personnel suppression. All it needs is a light weapon. And it's probably all it can "fit" in the light turret due to weight, space and/or power draw.

Right tool for the right job and all. If you need more than a triple threat light laser turret the AFV is not what you should be driving :)

Though I don't see why there couldn't be some variants. Afterall there are variants of vechiles in our world. But the this one is probably most common one.

far-trader said:

Ah! So it's more like the US "Stryker" vehicle. You're correct; it's a perception issue. Given the focus of the Core Book on small group play, a Stryker-type AFV makes much more sense.

Just to clarify--the main battle tank uses the same weapon as a trooper in battledress? How can that make sense? (I'm really asking, not trying to be overly critical.) Seems to me that a tank is going to mount a MUCH larger gun. Going from my GURPS Traveller experience with GT: Ground Forces, the tanks and vehicles in general had much, well, heavier weaponry than even powered armor troops could carry.

Are the armor values such that you can hurt vehicles with personal weapons (well, small arms--I assume you can hurt a tank with an anti-tank missile)?

Is this something that earlier versions of Traveller dealt with? I recall in T20 that the damage dice of fusion guns on tanks were comparable, though generally a lot higher than the damage done by the PGMP.

apoc527 said:
Just to clarify--the main battle tank uses the same weapon as a trooper in battledress? How can that make sense?
Couple of points real quick. The core rule book does not have a MBT in it. The closest is the G/Carrier and it is a Transport (14 passengers). A very powerful transport, but a transport non-the-less.

Next, The idea that a MBT and a Trooper have the same type of weapon is true today. The Trooper has a slug thrower and so does the MBT. Now it is true the sizes are different, but they are the same "type" of weapon.

So the idea the trooper has a Fusion gun (Man Portable) and the MBT may have a larger, more powerful Fusion weapon is not odd at all. Now if Merc comes out and they try and say the MBT has the same weapon then I will join you in not understanding. :wink:

Daniel

Oh ok, that makes more sense (for now). I was really confused by what someone else said. I can live with an AFV using an infantry weapon (though I'd expect it to be heavier...are there are "LMGs" in the basic book or is that a Mercenary thing?). I personally can't wait for HG and Mercenary to come out (which is probably about as remarkable here as an RPGer with a dice bag). :)

sirpedro said:
In CT the Imperial MBTs and Grav Carriers mounts artillery level Fusion Guns, not FGMP sized weapons.
I believe it will be that way in this game as well. Falls in line with past editions and is logical as well. :wink:

Daniel

Back