Adventure Seeds

Becket said:
My GM in a D+D game did a similar situation where we all wake up in a cage..the twist was we were the only humans on the world. Again not easily done in the Conan world but could be adapted...

Hyboria... of the Apes!

I am planning to have my players start play as part of a Free Company. They would be foot soldiers, archers, cavalry, etc. If a player wishes to pay a scholar, I was going have him as part of the paymaster's retinue. A scholar's education and languages would be a distinct advantage to a paymaster of a varied mercenary company. I liked the idea of them starting out in a battle, and the various players will be called back to stave off a raid on the pay wagon. During the fighting, the Captain (who has been conspiring to rob the pay wagon the whole time) will make good his plans. The pcs will get the blame and be forced to hit the road or be hung. This way I have fleeing PCs that I can steer to nearest available adventure. It also leaves them open to retribution from the other Company members. They'll show up as foils in later scenarios. It's not bulletproof and does require the player's help a bit, but I think it will work out and leave them open to roleplay their meeting properly.

Madhatter: pretty cool. Obi-Wan has taught you well ;)

And a little seed:

1. Players wake up in an inn. They are in the same room, and have been sleeping on the floor. They can't remember what happened last night. The problem is, a dead woman lies in one of their beds, with a dagger still in her chest. Suddenly, someone's knocking on the door. "City Guard! You are under arrest!"...

Samvail1 said:
Hi Outlaw

What techniques do you use when GMing, when you have 2 new characters whose views are diametrically opposed?

Do you decide before the game to avoid such situations? Do you let the characters get created with the knowledge that there will be friction between them and possibly combat? What happens when 2 player characters fight to the death, do you let it happen?

The opposition of views will be less defined in Conan than in D&D because it lacks an alignment system, favouring an Honour system.

I was just interested in your approach.

I find it highly unrealistic that two people with diametrically opposed views would adventure together willingly. If they did, there would have to be some serious extenuating circumstances.

In those cases, I would talk to the two players together and individually and tell them that their choices were going to cause trouble. Different beliefs is fine, but opposites is unrealistic. I've seen two clerics spend serious time in between sessions debating the precepts of each other's faiths. That kind of thing I encourage. But if two people are willing to draw swods and fight each other to the death during the first session, then it's a waste of time for those players to make characters to begin with.

I'd rather see one of the characters tabled (whichever character jives least with the party if it's possible to tell) until there is a more appropriate time for that character to be introduced.

If both characters insist on playing their characters, then they and the rest of the players are made aware of the situation. And I'll hold them to their choices. If it eventually leads to combat, that was their decision (although I'm still struggling with the morality of the Hyborean Age anyway, so whether that would be to the death I'm not sure of yet).

I am with Outlaw on this one.

I've never had a problem with this issue, though. Generally when my group sits down to create characters, they create a group they all think would be fun, and characters everyone else would enjoy playing with or against. I don't think any of my players ever intentionally created a 'troublesome' character for the party. Generally they like to be a cohesive unit, somewhat like the A-Team in a fantasy setting.

I think that if you have 2 individuals who are diametric opposites you will have issues. This is pretty much obvious. One method for getting them to work together at the get go is to have an opponent who is superior to both. Use the old "enemy of my enemy is my friend" addage. Through game time you can have them working together to defeat the opponent(s) even though if the times were different the would be placing a dagger in each others backs. The issue that I spoke of where we were the only humans on a world was done for specifically that reason. A flat half of the group is evil. The other half is good. All variances of the black and the white and the GM understood that if he put us in a town with humans in it...we would scatter like roaches. So he made us adventure together out of necessity. As time progressed the Evil people had saved the good peoples hides...and vice versa.

B

May I point out that although coin and forune may be useful initially - it MAY become quite difficult to "cash in", utillize or dispose of said masses of coin/ gems, etc. in the Hyborian world.

I would imagine that even a casket of 1000 silver pieces would become a bit of a 'pain in the ass' (literally!) - until 'disposed of' to a useful purpose (such as buying armour, weapons and kit).

There seems to be plenty of willing thieves about (Esp. in Shadizar? I haven't got the edition yet) ... and there are no Banks around as far as I recall. The rule of Might is Right seems to be the norm rather than exception - so I don't see any GM having any real problem with the PC's accumulating wealth for too long ...

I don't really see a need for the 50% Wealth Evaporation rule (High Living), 'cos there's enough 'real world' cause for coin loss/ useage already.

It's much more fun to get on with the experience of adventuring in a facinating and dangerous world.
By all means let the Thieves in the party enjoy their Victories ... but ...

"You want to exchange that egg of a ruby for gold ??!" - "...wait here my friend, I have some associates that will help ease this burden for you".

Back