ACTA Version 2

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stonehorse

Mongoose
With all the changes and 2 new races to ACTA it is rather book heavy now. I believe it would be easier to have a 2nd version some point next year that contains all this. It might also open the game to more people, as I know from experience some people are put off by having to get so many books to be up to date on the rules and what can do what.

Any way I thought it would be interesting to see how many people agree with this, so here's a poll.

Xorrandor said:
Aren't we up to version 3 already? ACtA, SFoS, and the Tournament packs. Fool me twice, shame on me...
They aren't "versions", they are expansions/revisions.

you know would be nice to actually have a couple of years or so to actually play the game before v2 comes out, at least the EE tends to leave 5-7 years between full rules overhauls/updates. kind of makes buying books like armageddon and SFOS a waste of time if its just gonna change every couple of years.

I'm partially with Katadder on this one - as much as I'd like to see certain ships tweaked, I'd really like to see a full year with the current rules set before Mongoose get into full-on playtesting of new V2 ideas. I appreciate that V2 will be more of an evolution and consolidation than an entirely new game but it still makes sense for both the players to get settled with the current rules set and the designers/testers to pick out any relevant issues and areas that work particularly well. If this were to be the case, I'd ask for opinions in advance on potentially radical changes and playtest some of the more "interesting" choices in fleets closer to their limits.

Also, tournaments are a good place to play the fleets to breaking point without having to discover some of these combos themselves. By their nature, some people will take the hardest fleets they can find and overall the variety present will show what generally is liked and what is disliked (both ships and rules).

like Triggy says and when you consider how late armageddon was eventually released you havent had time for people to use the new rules fully and comment on how they work, how can you start a new set of rules if you dont know the problems with the old ones, and if you did know the problems why not release fixes with armageddon etc.

I'm very much in favour of a second edition, True, it's not been very long since 1st edition, even less time since 1st edition (Revised), but such seems the lot of Babylon 5 based boardgames... Besides, there have been many problems with the initial choices of rules and mechanics, and a full second edition seems to me to be preferable to piles of revision books and articles..

But, who knows whether it'll appear, I couldn't say... :roll:

Wulf

It won't take long to figure out if there are problems in Armagedon. We will tell them in quick time. A book that holds everything would be good. I would buy it even after 6 months.

katadder said:
you know would be nice to actually have a couple of years or so to actually play the game before v2 comes out, at least the EE tends to leave 5-7 years between full rules overhauls/updates. kind of makes buying books like armageddon and SFOS a waste of time if its just gonna change every couple of years.

Yeah, I agree too. Also its going to be a nightmare in Tourney's every year, with the realease versions etc!

Plus the existing customer base, is going to feel a littel alienated too.

Why shoud i buy Armagedon when in less then 12 month a new version comes out, where the Armagedon rules are then allready in?
And what is special meant with 2nd edition what will be changed? If the old rule sets are then oldpaper ready for recycle why shoud i believe that this change will not come once more 3 month later again and again and again.

A full second edition woud be making more damage then be helpfull. Special if you see how bad the shipment to germany ist over normal shops the most shops get rigth now still the 1 Ed Box for sale. not the revised.

So if a 2 end come we get it in exchange for the old rulesets for free Ok.

I'd be quite keen on a second edition - actually if Mongoose just consolidated every rule and current fleet list into ONE book I would be very happy indeed.

For the record I have every ACTA book (inc. Earth/Minbari war, Drakh, Dilgar etc) released since the revised rules boxset. I would *still* buy a single book with all of that stuff in it though.

...actually you know what would be *really* cool?

An online copy of the ruleset that can get updated as interpretations/faqs are answered. It could work like a wikipedia style databse with players adding comments and footnotes as examples...you could pay a one-off fee for a pdf snapshot or hardcopy although I would probably pay a (reasonable) monthly fee for continual updates.

I appreciate that players may feel frustrated if a game company continually issue revisions and updates but no-one is forcing anyone to continally *buy* those updates! The way I see it the more books that are out there, the more ships that are released, the more the game is supported. If I don't like a rules update or ship then I'll just ignore it. If it's "official" and therefore used in tourneys well I'll just stop playing those tourneys, or better yet run one that uses a ruleset I and some others can agree on. My life does not depend on the "word" as dictated by Mongoose...course I reserve the right to change my mind and moan like everyone else when I want to ;)

A compendium next year might be nice, but with armageddon just now hitting the streets I think its too early to talk about V2. Give it time to sink in! :lol: maybe 2008

Chern

Half the time it's "It's much too soon! No more new stuff! No more!" and the other half it's "Gimme Gime Gimme! I need a new fix!"

Let's face it, if it's new, it'll sell.
Hash said:
I'd be quite keen on a second edition - actually if Mongoose just consolidated every rule and current fleet list into ONE book I would be very happy indeed.
Sure, and I guess you'd like the Pak and the Gaim thrown in for free?

Wulf

Its not about new stuff its about change what we have, what worries me.
So now explane me why shoud i spent any money on an game what is changing complet that a nw version is just after one year needed? Hey whait for the 3erd editon why not wait for the 9nth version why buy it at all it changes in a few weeks again.

Jhary said:
So now explane me why shoud i spent any money on an game what is changing complet that a nw version is just after one year needed? Hey whait for the 3erd editon why not wait for the 9nth version why buy it at all it changes in a few weeks again.
If you can wait a year, or two, or more, then good for you.

Most gamers can't wait a week.

Wulf

Silvereye said:
Lets get the other races and new ships that we want to see out of the way for a while first.
I'd say quite the opposite. We know the system can be improved, we know the faults and failings, let's not get too involved with the old game, lets get started on the improved version. It takes as long to properly playtest and balance a second edition fleet list as a first. Why take twice as long testing both?

Wulf

Back