Acheron Race

Deadpool

Mongoose
I have read through all the streams and couldn't find the actual racial statistics of the Acheron Race as well as the Elder Race. I am running a campaign where they uncover one of the lost cities of Acheron and I need some statistics in creating my ancient races.

It wasn't to be Python by any chance ... I did a little diversion 'teaser' for My Players, while they were lost in the desrt regions in Shem (You know the region).

They took refuge from a sandstorm (natural? HA?!), in a revealed opening that led down into a vast columned undercity, full of broken bones, ancient bits of corroded armour, pottery, etc. The city was rather like those carved out of rock in a rocky valley's walls (Like the mountainside Indian villages - can't recall the real life cultural inspiration?).

The city appeared 'lifeless', and I really had them all going with trepidation and a brooding manevolence. I 'stole' an idea from another Conan story where Conan was tricked into wearing full lamellar armour, and was drawn onto (literally!) a magnetic metal tower (I used one massive central column in the cavern). It was 'fun' watching the players that were 'sucked in' trying to get out of they're armour while the guardian monster slowly arrived ....
They didn't push in any deeper into the cavern entrance - but I would certainly like to make up a bit of the lost Acheronian city. Maybe with some reminant live decendants, and some vampiric ancestors. Perhaps they 'live' in some unholy pact, with the Overlords (Vampire nobles) feeding off the subjigated 'herd', and still practicing their ancient evil arts.

Use the article from Signs and Portents that Vincent directed You to - although I feel that Acheron would qualify for a suppliment book (Softback, wrapped plus map of Python???!) by itself. There seems to be quite a few pieces written on the subject, scattered here and there ...

Is the Acheron race that you guys describing the current surviving race or is it the elder race that is guant, tall and with glowing eyes? I want the stats for that race. I need something that is definetly "alien" like and would appear "godlike" to mere humans.

Is the Acheron race that you guys describing the current surviving race or is it the elder race that is guant, tall and with glowing eyes? I want the stats for that race. I need something that is definetly "alien" like and would appear "godlike" to mere humans.

Deadpool said:

I believe the Acheron race in S&P is the current surviving race, which would be a degenerate reflection of Acheron's former glory.

Deadpool said:

The article describes them as tall and gaunt with pale skin and dark hair. Other texts mention them as having yellow eyes that glow slightly when they are angry, emotional, etc.

The race in the S&P article is definitely the ancient race or a pure-bred descendant.

They would look wierd, but I'm not sure about "godlike".

Hope all that helps.

Darth Mikey said:
The race in the S&P article is definitely the ancient race or a pure-bred descendant.

Really? Is the S&P Acheron description different than the one made available in the Sons of Cimmeria promotion? Because in reading that, I got the impression that centuries of seclusion and what not made them a pail reflection of what they were in the hight of their power.

"definitely" was not a good choice of words on my part.

The only place any stats appear for the Acheronians is the S&P article, which is the one that was issued as part of the SoC program.

Reading the text, it could go either way. The text implies the stats are for modern day Acheronians, but it doesn't say they have devolved as a race. The text implies clusters or pockets of Acheronian blood, isolated villages and holdings that have stayed pure both culturally and genetically.

Anyway, thats only my take on it.

Can someone help me in figuring out what the ancient Acheron's racial statistics would look like? Do they have any innate power? Are there eyes glowing only for effect (and when they are emotional)?

After reading alot about these ancient ones, they seem to be able to wield magic as it was second nature... Anyway - any ideas?????

Hi.

In my game, I tend to use Michael Moorcocks Melnibonians as inspiration for Acheronians.

They also were tall with black hair and powerful sorcerors.

Like Melnibone, I imagine Acheron as an evil unhuman empire torturing, enslaving and sacrificing humans to ancient dark gods (Set and the Black Shadow in Acherons case).

Perhaps the Acheronians also worshiped some of the Cthulhu Mythos gods. They would be served by lessor Demons.

I see the the later Nemedian culture as being derived from the Acheronian one and as the Nemedians are a "Dragon Empire", I would think Acheron would use the Dragon as a motif as well.

Like the Melniboneans. The dragon in Acherons case would be Set.

Acheron must had a strong army at the beginning to go from a few settlements on the Tybor River to a large empire. Maybe they had "Dragon Legions".

Towards the end, the Acheron empire was probably becoming extremely weak and decadent, neglecting its army and overconfident of the terror its dark magic inspired in the Hyborian barbarians.

Again like the Melnibonean Empire.

In contrast, Stygia survived because it maintained its military forces.

Other themes could be borrowed from the Elric books such as Possessed Swords, Magical Armor and some of the monsters eg the Mist Giant.

Hi.

Couple of other thoughts.

I would think the Giant-Kings who were forced to leave Stygia and move north to found Acheron would have abandoned most of their southern desert culture and architecture.

They would not have the time and materials to recreate what they had in the south eg Pyramids and Sphinx.

Assuming the Hyborians picked up their architecture and culture from Acheron, the Acheronian cities would be similar to those in Nemedia or Aquilonia today but with more a fantastic style.

They would have created dark cities of "Purple Towers".

Clothes would be more suitable for a northern climate as well eg Plate Armor.

Maybe.

The main nemesis in 'Hour of the Dragon' (at work I don't have access to his name, and refuse to butcher it with a guess in front off all the avid Howard fans of this sight) was presented as a pretty powerful Acheronian sorcerer with a distinct, physical, attention grabbing, and awe inspiring appearance.

But I think that has more to do with the fact that he was a Mummy brought to life by the Heart of Arhamen ( :shock: OK, i violated my stricture, go easy on me) and the characteristics of those mummies. The description of these foes (in either Scrolls of Skelos or Conan AE) match the Acheronian sorcerer's description pretty well, so it might not be a race wide thing.

They were probably more disposed to magic like the Child of Jabel Seg, Spawn of Dygoth Hill, and Solame templates (I am really pushing it with spelling today), but couldn't be super proficient with magic as the Hyborian invaders all but wiped them off of the map.

Seeker's base of inspiration sounds pretty good. I am not convinced the Acheronians were a super race of sorcerers, but they were a dark race that left plenty of mysteries worthy of a good tale.

You aren't convinced the Acheronians were a super race of sorcerers? Here are a couple of quotes:

"Well," said Orastes, "I am no Acheronian, but I am versed in some of the arts, and the control of certain spirits which have cloaked themselves in material substance. Perhaps I can aid you in this matter."

~The Hour of the Dragon

And we have loosed a demon upon the earth, a fiend inexplicable to common humanity. I have plumbed deep in evil, but there is a limit to which I, or any man of my race and age, can go. My ancestors were clean men, without any demoniacal taint; it is only I who have sunk into the pits, and I can sin only to the extent of my personal individuality. Out behind Xaltotun lie a thousand centuries of black magic and diabolism, an ancient tradition of evil. He is beyond our conception not only because he is a wizard himself, but also because he is the son of a race of wizards.

~The Hour of the Dragon

The Acheronians are described by Howard as a race of wizards. As for his appearance, you should read Dale Rippke's essay on the subject, where he links Xaltotun with others of the ancient race (including a Kull tale) and shows they all display those physical attributes.

I concede my point to one more well versed than I.

Questions:

How did such a race of wizards fall to a bunch of Hyborean barbarians?

Is it coincidental that the description of the Mummy of Arhaman and Xaltotun are so similar in their appearance and effect of their appearance on crowds? (Because Xaltotun was a Mummy of Arhaman right?)

Hyborian Apeman said:
I concede my point to one more well versed than I.

Questions:

How did such a race of wizards fall to a bunch of Hyborean barbarians?

Is it coincidental that the description of the Mummy of Arhaman and Xaltotun are so similar in their appearance and effect of their appearance on crowds? (Because Xaltotun was a Mummy of Arhaman right?)

1) Decadence weakened them. They did not anticipate the strength of the barbarians. Arrogance was their weakness. Also, when they lost the Heart of Ahriman, they were further weakened. Also, I don't think there were all that many left - Acheron was likely a colony of the Giant-Kings. When they were overthrown and Stygia established, the refugees fled to Acheron (see pages 166-167 of The Road of Kings for an overview - or read Dale Rippke's essays for a detailed analysis).

2) I do not have an answer to the second question because I did not write up the descriptions. I would guess that Ian Sturrock either did not recognise the similarities between Xaltotun, Akivasha and the Elder priest from the Kull story to be racial characteristics of the same race, and simply regarded the pale skin, glowing eyes, tall height to be traits of undeath (and may have been unaware of the Kull character with those traits, who was not undead). Personally, I would disregard those aspects of the "Ahriman mummy." Those were traits of Xaltotun. I have a feeling he looked that way when he was alive too - and so did Akivasha.

http://www.rehupa.com/rippke_stygia.htm discusses some of the racial issues.

Thank you. Well I suppose its a good thing that I am yet to include the Acheronians is my campaign as I would have blatantly been misrepresenting them. I appreciate your aid in expanding my knowledge.

Back