About midnightquest....

Are you intersted to be included in a crew(!) for the creation of a MRQ midnight supplement?

• I don't know anything about the midnight setting but why not?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes

• no

• sorry, at midnight i'm sleeping, i prefer 10 am....

• Total voters

babayaya

Mongoose
Finally i'm on it...
So the big question is, are some people interested in the creation of a Midnight/MRQ "supplement" or adds-on....
the first thing would be to know who would like top help for the "technical" translation beetween d20 and mrq...
so whoever wants...On your marks......
sorry but i made it a serious one, don't hesitate to add comments anyway...

I do not see that much of a problem converting Midnight to RQ. The trickiest part would be the Heroic Paths, but my current idea is to make them Legendary Abilities oif a sort, with several stages that you pay further Hero Points to advance through.

As for spells and magic, you would have to scale all spells to fit RQ, which basically means redoing their mechanics from scratch. Unless you take a page from the magic system I am writing for my Arkana fantasy campaign setting, in which "damage spells" for example does xdy (1d6 for example) per magnitude of a spell. You take a -10% penalty per magnitude beyond the first when you cast a spell.
Such a mechanic could potentially replace the X / Level mechanic used for magic in Midnight/D&D.

Skills should probably be dropped, replaced by their RQ equivalent.

Class features could in some cases be incorporated into professions as a sort of "career traits", but should probably be dropped. RQ are more skill based than trait based, and I think a Midnight for RQ should also reflect this.

Some feats could be transformed into regular Legendary Abilities. For example the whole "Cleave"-chain of feats could be made into one single Legendary Ability.

Ability scores are easily translated into Characteristics since they are on the same scale.
STR = STR
CON = CON
DEX = DEX
INT = INT
WIS = POW (somewhat problematic since WIS also determines perception, which is INT based in RQ)
CHA = CHA

I do not see that much of a problem converting Midnight to RQ. The trickiest part would be the Heroic Paths, but my current idea is to make them Legendary Abilities oif a sort, with several stages that you pay further Hero Points to advance through.

- I agree totally with this and moreover: for an heroic path it is a separate special skill... you cannot improve it by training or experience roll or etc... the only way you can do is spend a hp at the end of a session (and only 1 each session max) and you gain 1d4...you begin at 05%...the every fraction of 5% you gain the mentionned translated power or something RQ equivalent...I already played the Ironborn, the painless, the northblooded, the hunter, the elven champion, the healer in this fashion...it works quite well.

As for spells and magic, you would have to scale all spells to fit RQ, which basically means redoing their mechanics from scratch. Unless you take a page from the magic system I am writing for my Arkana fantasy campaign setting, in which "damage spells" for example does xdy (1d6 for example) per magnitude of a spell. You take a -10% penalty per magnitude beyond the first when you cast a spell.
Such a mechanic could potentially replace the X / Level mechanic used for magic in Midnight/D&D.
- for the magic I planned something totally different....
Since every one in midnight can take the magecraft feat, i thought that everyone could learn some runemagic...
then the whispers adept and the like would be spirit magic user like the astiraxes would be embodied spirits and the like...
Elven druids would be shamans
Legates would be priest
and the other channelers would have been sorcerer (and that explain why they are so few...it's hard to learn sorcery...)

Skills should probably be dropped, replaced by their RQ equivalent

absolutely, as the class features and the like.... you begin totally differently in reunequest and you don't choose something like a class..
but the defender and the like can be something as an occupation.

for the feat, that'll be the most difficult, to imbalance the HP cost for a chain of feat or for only one.....that'll be quite hard for this.

I voted 10pm, at the moment our midnight game is on indefinite hold while we play other things. I'd love to see what you do with it though, as I really love the world setting. I was trying to get our GM to transfer to True20 Midnight, but RQ would be a nice brutal way to run it too.

DD

babayaya said:
for the feat, that'll be the most difficult, to imbalance the HP cost for a chain of feat or for only one.....that'll be quite hard for this.

Compare the benefits of the whole chain and the single feat to already existing Heroic Abilities, and you will get a feel for if they should be converted as a chain or single feat.

I very much think that the Cleave -> Greater Cleave chain is a perfect Heroic Ability in its own. If you drop an opponent, you get to use a Reaction to attack the next opponent that is close enough to you.

The Maximixe Spell etc. feats also could be a single heroic ability that maxes your manipulation of Sorcery spells more potent.

As for the Midnight Defender Class, I think it's abilities are better suited as an Heroic Ability, or a Heroic Path in RQ form (as discussed earlier). They are a very iconic class for the setting, and their central abilities should be preserved.

The Wildlanders class abilities are more easily converted into making him really good at skills, as he basically is good at fighting and tracking. The RQ Wildlander profession should have large bonuses on it's skills in these areas that make the Wildlander class unique.

I do not agree with using RuneCraft as MageCraft, at least not in the form it is. You could use the spells from it as MageCraft, but you should proably remove the runes altogheter.

As for the I agree that legats should use divine magic. And spirit magic should probably one of the most common forms of magic.

But I do not think that Channelers should use Sorcery. Sorcery in RQ are a studied path, a logical approach to magic. And as such it has more in common with D&D's Wizards. Channelers should be able to use magic without training, in an intuitive way. That is more in their character.

As such I think it should be handled a bit differently.

Introduce a separate skill; Channeling. That is used to channel magic. For each x% you gain in this skill, you can "learn" (I would say use or channel) a new spell, and you use the Channeling skill to do it.
The spells available should probably be from all availble magic in the setting (and available in the RQ rules).

There is a reason that Channelers are feared by the shadow, and why the Legates try to erase them from the world.

Perhaps Channeler should not even be a profession, but a Heroic Ability that is the only way to learn the Channeler skill on which it's magic is based.

yes!!!! great idea...
finally, we could try to do a sort of chain for heroic abilities with an increasing cost and prerequisites....
this should be for the channeler, the wildlander abilities, defender abilities and finally the prestiges classes, and by that way it is easy to make it by roleplay...

babayaya said:
yes!!!! great idea...
finally, we could try to do a sort of chain for heroic abilities with an increasing cost and prerequisites....
this should be for the channeler, the wildlander abilities, defender abilities and finally the prestiges classes, and by that way it is easy to make it by roleplay...

There ;)

How does the poll go on the AGTS forums?
Seems it is doing fairly poorly here.

er yes, the poll on ats........er wait my milk is boling on the fire and i'm under a moutain....grrrsxxxx...xx.x..z..r.ez..z..z.z............

Archer said:
How does the poll go on the AGTS forums?
Seems it is doing fairly poorly here.

I'd say the poll is doing pretty well here considering many of the posters here are interested other settings (Glorantha being the big one, with Lankmar, Arthur, Hyboria, Diomin, and Middle Earth represented) or already have a homebrew setting in mind. I am all about the big G (I have interest in those other settings, but I'm gona be gaming on a cube floating in a primal sea).

Taking into account many people already had/have specific plans for MRQ I'd say interest is pretty high for Midnight.

Back