Abandon Ship

What Are Your Feelings On Your SST Collection?

• I don't plan on getting rid of anything, in fact I'm buying more!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't plan on getting rid of anything, but I'm going to wait for the new stuff.

• I'm getting rid of my excess, ready for next April!

• I'm selling up, I don't know if I will carry on with SST . . . . .

• Total voters
So anyone who doesnt agree with you is hystericical?
Seriously, I do't give a crap what any of you say about me on this forum cause I act like a cock most of the time, but all you people are saying here (Other than one or two people) is that ANYONE who doesnt like the idea of prepainteds is a moron, and then you slate them over and over and over because they can't see you're point of view?!?!?
Freaking grow up and realise that it cuts both ways and you have to accept over people ideas from time to time even if you don't agree with them!
These people have invested just as much time and money as any of you (Other than CudaHP it seems $10,000 a year :shock:), so why are you entitled to belittle doubts they express? Oh thats right you aren't...
Hell the fact is I could go through the posts before the big announcement and find most of you rabid fan boys saying exactly the same stuff as is being said by us "negs" (And how great is it that you've thought up a nice name to segregate anyone with a differing view), either about GW or in the "I hope mongoose doesn't" vein, which makes you're stand even worse!

I'm sorry to say this but given whats just happened with SST (And might armies and GOMC1) don't you think some doubt is permissable?!?!?! Until people see the quality of the new models (Especially given those Rackham ones, Rackham tend to push the boat out for sculpts) try to excuse people for being a bit pessamistic!
And to be brutally honest (since its alright to insult people who disagree these days...) I'd imagine that at least some the foamy mouthed zealots would still bejust as happy (And insulting anyone who disagrees) if all the sculpts looked like the skinny slaves...

MaxSteiner said:
So anyone who doesnt agree with you is hystericical?

I never said that - but most of the people here who are anti-Evo have been citing problems which Matt has already addressed, mostly in his first post on the subject. not only that they've been posting in a rather frantic manner on the subject. Hence hysterical.

Seriously, I do't give a crap what any of you say about me on this forum cause I act like a cock most of the time, but all you people are saying here (Other than one or two people) is that ANYONE who doesnt like the idea of prepainteds is a moron, and then you slate them over and over and over because they can't see you're point of view?!?!?

I also never said that. There's plenty of well-rounded logical arguements to be made against Evo and/or pre-painted minis. People claiming that SST suddenly won't be a wargame because the main mini line is prepainted (for example) isn't one of them though.

I'm sorry to say this but given whats just happened with SST (And might armies and GOMC1) don't you think some doubt is permissable?!?!?! Until people see the quality of the new models (Especially given those Rackham ones, Rackham tend to push the boat out for sculpts) try to excuse people for being a bit pessamistic!

I believe my first post on the subject of Evo was that I was guardedly optimistic. I have doubts that the updates to the system will fix the problems - witness the constant tinkering with ACtA, for example. I have doubts to the quality of prepainted minis, but I'm pleased that i'll still be able to get the existing minis if I want them.

My only problems with the negative posters are ill-informed arguements given that half their concerns were raised by Matt in the first post, which a bunch of people (and not just negative ones) only seemed to skim at best, and the snobbery towards prepainted minis without actually seeing any.

Thats alright really positivly grounded in reason but you can't deny that people on you're camp have been doing so.

SST does have a future, but you have to wonder how many retailers are more a little pisssed of with the system being put to rest till next year, and how many more are going to be pissed of about the stuff eing for sale in ToysRus and Walmart.
You've got to wonder how many of the potential new players are going to ASK how long the previouse edition was around for and have doubbts.
You've got to wonder about the new sculpters Mongoose has hired because we never actually saw any of their work.
You've got to wonder if putting out BF Evo, SST Evo and Conan prepainteds in the same year is going to pay off.

I appreciate people might get a bit pissed off with doubters having doubts and not reading all the announcement and Q&A, but conversly non doubters are gonna get pissed of with all the completly off topic posts going on meaning to get the info you're expected to know you have to trawl through utter garbage like

"Flibble"

"Oh no I much prefer foibels"

"I'm a little worried about the prepaints"

"Boing, and screw that doubter I hope he gets raped, twice"

As for the prepainted snobbery thats really unavoidable, but anyone was old enough to witness the Mtg rush should be afraid...

Lorcan Nagle said:
I agree that name calling isn't the best way to put forward a pro-evo arguement, but there's a huge gulf between people who are putting forward valid concerns and constructive critcism; and the people who are hysterically decryiung evo as not being a wargame cos the minis are prepainted (ignoring the continued availbility of the old minis), that their old minis will be totally incompatible with the new ones due to the redesigns (ignoring Matt saying that the skinnies would be made closer to the artwork and have a more unified design, and that the MI and Bugs are largely tied into a specific look because of licensing, so they're going to look mostly the same) and myriad other complaints that have been covered by Matt, mostly in his initial post on the subject.

it's the lack of reading comprehension on the behalf of certian posters that has me (and presumably other posters) frustrated.

Surely its the rules that determines what sort of game it is!

MaxSteiner said:
Thats alright really positivly grounded in reason but you can't deny that people on you're camp have been doing so.

I'm not sure if I belong to the pro-or anti-camps, but yeah, there's plenty of peopel on both sides who're guilty of OTT posting.

SST does have a future, but you have to wonder how many retailers are more a little pisssed of with the system being put to rest till next year, and how many more are going to be pissed of about the stuff eing for sale in ToysRus and Walmart.

I think that depends on where the current customer base go to shop. A nice touch for mongoose could be to list games shops in S&P and/or on the website, so people who may encounter the game for the first time in toy stores could be pointed towards the traditional retailers.

You've got to wonder how many of the potential new players are going to ASK how long the previouse edition was around for and have doubbts.
You've got to wonder about the new sculpters Mongoose has hired because we never actually saw any of their work.
You've got to wonder if putting out BF Evo, SST Evo and Conan prepainteds in the same year is going to pay off.

Well I'd certianly agree on the prepainted mini quality questions, and the apparent eggs-in-basket approach of (re)launching three mini games in one year gives some concern. I don't think questions on SST's relaunch will cause that much concern in the end though.

As for the prepainted snobbery thats really unavoidable, but anyone was old enough to witness the Mtg rush should be afraid...

I think SST is certianly a step apart from magic, after all the minis in SST aren't collectible - Heroclix and company are far better comparisons there...

Well except that Magic is a really good game underneath all the collectible dross.

MaxSteiner said:
I'm sorry to say this but given whats just happened with SST (And might armies and GOMC1) don't you think some doubt is permissable?!?!?!

What happened is that those who don't like to paint got option to buy prepainted. NOTHING else changed. For those who like painting it's no change except a) there's going to be new models to paint b) you are more likely going to get somebody to play with. What is there to have doubts? Oh game got new chance for life. Boohoo how bad is that!

Sure new sculpts are in it's way. Would you have prefered mongoose to not release ANY new models EVER then?

MaxSteiner said:

Alternative would have been complete death of the system...

Now atleast we'll be getting new models and, looking from initial comments from various forums, lots of new players.

And even if pre-paints were the only option one can always paint them himself.
Will probably do such a thing myself, can't paint a passable face and already have different uniform colours (Mutant Chronicles Golden Lions).
And if minis will look half as good as on pics will start a second LAMI company, just for the pre-painted uniforms ^^

Makoto said:

Precicely. So the colour you are going to paint over isn't grey but instead multi-coloured prepainted model. What's the fuss about that?

Spray, paint, base, varnish. No trace of original colour scheme :lol:

Exactly - or cover just the fitting part of the original. Or even treat it as an already-based model, possibilities are endless ^^

Certainly no reason to complain...

tneva82 said:
Makoto said:

Precicely. So the colour you are going to paint over isn't grey but instead multi-coloured prepainted model. What's the fuss about that?

Tuda! Problem solved everyone :D
I HATE FLAMING!!!

rico's roughnecks said:
tneva82 said:
Makoto said:

I HATE FLAMING!!!

HIGGINS, YOU'RE BACK!

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
rico's roughnecks said:
tneva82 said:

I HATE FLAMING!!!

HIGGINS, YOU'RE BACK!
Hehehehe, I found the pluto and hydora campaigns buetifully translated to avi format on YouTube.com, don't know if theres more as I've only managed to watch the pluto campaign so far :)

I had to let it out, I hate flaming alot, just like when I get handed a triple thud, or when Dizz uses my camera lenses :p

Greetings to All!!!

Hiro let me know about the big announcement, and I popped in to read it, then wound up reading all 30-some pages of the thread. Interesting. But not nearly enough to bring me back by itself. Call me suspicious, maybe I just feel burned, but what has been revealed so far leaves me saying "Uh-huh."

Still, the cadets in my wargames club very much want to do SST (I hyped it a lot at the end of last school year) and since some of them bought the boxed set over the summer, I don't want to let them down. So...I'll be popping in and out occasionally. All my SST stuff (and there's a TON of it) I will be donating to the club. Personally, I have no intention of continuing with SST at the present time. Maybe that will change come next year, but my attitude will continue to be "I'll believe it when I see it." For now, I'm having an utter blast starting FoW, Hoardes, and resuming 40K. It's also nice to have people to play against!

Why am I not thrilled (as most of you seem to be) about SST v.2? The answer to that question and the source of my suspicion lies in the following quote from Matt:

msprange said:
There have also been some things that we have not been too happy with. The Skinnies, for example, have an incoherent overall feel, which is not what we intended for that army, and there are individual models that were simply not good enough for the modern market.

I didn't see anyone ask what I'm about to, so here goes:

WHY, if you were unhappy with the Skinnie range did you not correct it prior to release? WHY were models released that, by your own admission, "were simply not good enough for the modern market?" That comment is a source of great unease to me, because it implies that someone other than MGP were controlling things, or, if that wasn't the case, then things were simply out of control.

And before I'm called "stupid" or a "moron" let me ask the following: is it unreasonable to expect that due dilligence be performed and that the absolute best product be released if I am expected to fulfill my side of the contract by paying money for the product?

The statement implies that if I want a "coherent" Skinnie army, I'll have to buy the new figures. Or, I can be less-than-satisfied with the existing stuff I have versus the new stuff. Is that really much of a choice?

What's to prevent repeats of the same lack of focus and shotgun approach to the game that became evident during the past year? Yeah, I'll need a ton of convincing before I'll even consider buying not only any SST v1 or v2 stuff, but any MGP products.

An old adage goes "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." So that's my mind-set. I guess I'll just be one of those people that have abandoned the game, and will take a huge amount of convincing to bring back into the fold: too many releases that were promised and never happened, too many sub-par figs, and too much lack of attention to detail. But that's just MY opinion, nothing else.

Anyway, I'll be in and out, and I'll encourage my cadets to visit the forum too as there are a ton of great people here!

Regards to all,

Scipio

P.S. Taco says "Hiiiiiii!" She keeps eyeing my WHFB Lizardmen. She must think they're some new kind of bug! :lol:

Oh, only one comment here and that is concerning Walmart and Toys r Us.

Matt has said no to both and in the one thread gave his reasons, further stating that if at a later date SST was ever to bew marketed to such large retailers it would be a completely different game tailored more to the 10 to 14 year old average GW crowd.

8) 8) 8) 8)

Back