A Question about FINESSE

Auggie

Mongoose
Friends, again, I must help one of my gamers with a clarification and come to you.

When using FINESSE, you are using your DEX bonus instead of STR bonus. Should you fail to FINESSE, you are only going to use the base AP score of the weapon used, correct? Also, when figuring damage from the weapon, regardless of whether or not you FINESSE, you are only using the base DAM of the weapon used correct? Since STR bonuses are not used in the to-hit, it is assumed they are not factored in for AP and DAMAGE?

Any feedback, is, as always, most appreciated :)

If you finesse you CANNOT use AP as well. A failed Finesse means that all armour DR is applied.

You still get your strength bonus (or minus) to the damage roll with a finesse.

Sorry: correction

You do have an AP but you don't add your strength to it. And you also can never damage armour when finessing.

A failed finesse attack (applying the armor DR as a penalty to your to-hit roll) means you miss entirely, IIRC.

Mad Dog

Auggie said:
Friends, again, I must help one of my gamers with a clarification and come to you.

When using FINESSE, you are using your DEX bonus instead of STR bonus. Should you fail to FINESSE, you are only going to use the base AP score of the weapon used, correct?

Correct.

Auggie said:
Also, when figuring damage from the weapon, regardless of whether or not you FINESSE, you are only using the base DAM of the weapon used correct? Since STR bonuses are not used in the to-hit, it is assumed they are not factored in for AP and DAMAGE?

Any feedback, is, as always, most appreciated :)

Well they never say no anywhere so in my game we add the str damage. The reason we add it is because it's based on the Weapon Finesse feat in the SRD which only switches to using Dex for attack rolls. I believe the lack of it adding to AP in Conan is a balance factor.

You know, after I re-read the FInesse rules, I guess I was wrong. It looks as if even if you do finesse unsuccessfully, you still "hit" with your unmodified AP rating.

Mad Dog

Auggie said:
When using FINESSE, you are using your DEX bonus instead of STR bonus. Should you fail to FINESSE, you are only going to use the base AP score of the weapon used, correct?
Correct

Also, when figuring damage from the weapon, regardless of whether or not you FINESSE, you are only using the base DAM of the weapon used correct? Since STR bonuses are not used in the to-hit, it is assumed they are not factored in for AP and DAMAGE?
Incorrect, don't make assumptions. Finesse fighting does exactly what the rules say it does and nothing more:
-Use your Dex mod to-hit instead of your Str mod
-Do not add your Str mod to AP
-If your to-hit roll meets or exceedes the opponent's DV+DR then you ignore (bypass) his DR
-Your attacks do not damage armor

If your to-hit roll meets or exceedes the opponent's DV but is less than his DV+DR then resolve the attack as a normal attack: roll damage and subtract the opponent's DR. If your base weapon AP is equall to or greater than his DR then it is possible to penetrate his armor but most finesse weapons have a very low (or no) base AP so that doesn't happen often.

Hope that helps.

Back