A look at technology levels

Rhianni

Mongoose
This forum needs another topic.....

Was just thinking that in the Hybernian age there really are different levels of technology. Stygians have one of the highest being Roman like. Picts and the Black Kingdoms would be on the low end. Do you think there will be specific restrictions or new items to reflect this.

Part of the limitation of tech in various areas of howard's world can be veiwed as a matter of location and resources.
The major kingdoms have the mining, manpower and craftsmanship to be able to create the level of architeture, metalworking and other idems that we consider part of higher tech. The races of the Black Kingdoms, Picts, Cimmerians and Vanir/Aser are somewhat isolated from the major trade routes by location and culture. This limits there use of some idems and forces them to rely on more natural methods to create the same resources that the other kingdoms take for granted.

I can see where the purchasing of some goods can be limited by the location the characters find themselves. I would not allow them to buy a jeweled dagger in the middle of Pictland, nor buy a seal skin boots in the deserts of Stygia.
This is an area that I feel really requires no speical rules on the part of the game. Just a little common sense and reserach on the part of the GM.

good to see you mythos,there is a setting which automatically logs you in and have found that has stopped me doing the guest thing.have added some threads to the slaine site already so come have a look.belive conan thread traffic will most likley flood in when game is printed.

There are some new rules relevant to technology, including weapon quality, which ranges from Primitive through Standard to Akbitanan. Primitive weapons can be anything from the Picts' stone axes and copper knives to the poorly made spears of the Black Kingdoms. Akbitanan weapons are the best quality, and are available only in Akbitan. There are some similar rules for special armours only available in certain areas (it's suggested in the stories that Turan makes the best mail and Aquilonia the best plate, for example).

For the most part though the system does use GM discretion, just as Mythos suggested. Generally a war galley won't be available in the Pictish Wilderness, for example.

Ah, that last posting was mine -- I did a Mythos and forgot to log in. I was sure I'd registered for the new forum, but apparently not.

Where and what is Akbitan? I had thought that Vendhyan (sp) being the equivilant of china was the most advanced society.

Rhianni said:
Where and what is Akbitan? I had thought that Vendhyan (sp) being the equivilant of china was the most advanced society.
IIRC, Akbitan was one of the cities of Shem. Will have to look that up later today.
Vendhyan is the equivilant of modern day India.
Khitai(sp?), is the Hyborian version of China.

Yeah, Akbitana (for some reason I wrote Akbitan earlier) is a Shemite city. Conan mentions having a dagger made from 'unbreakable Akbitanan steel' and I extrapolated from there really.

Vendhya is indeed highly advanced, though mostly from the perspective of their society and culture -- they're not noted anywhere as producing particularly superior weapons or armour, though doubtless all their produce would be of good quality.

Khitai is one of the most mysterious regions in the original stories -- all we hear about it is that it has fiend-haunted swamps and weird temples in jungles, plus the city of Paikang.

Given the time period that the stories are set in, and the fact that weapons smithing is so advanced, here is my take on why the weapons made in Akbitana are so advanced over those made in other areas.

The smiths use a secreat ingredent, added to the forge fires and coated to the iron while forging. Coal dust.

This helps keep the fire steady during the heating, and the dust worked into the iron during the process adds the carbon needed to create a higher quality steel then the rest of the world is able to create.

Mythos said:
Given the time period that the stories are set in, and the fact that weapons smithing is so advanced, here is my take on why the weapons made in Akbitana are so advanced over those made in other areas.

The smiths use a secreat ingredent, added to the forge fires and coated to the iron while forging. Coal dust.

This helps keep the fire steady during the heating, and the dust worked into the iron during the process adds the carbon needed to create a higher quality steel then the rest of the world is able to create.

Is it better than Stygian steel then?

Mongoose Old Bear said:
Mythos said:

Yes.

Hopefully I can find my copy of Blade of Conan that included an article on the various levels of technology in the Hyborian age. If I find it I'll put up an abridged version.

Yes.
Hopefully I can find my copy of Blade of Conan that included an article on the various levels of technology in the Hyborian age. If I find it I'll put up an abridged version.

Sounds good. That's one I haven't read.

The Blade of Conan was a collection of articles that orginally appeared in the old Conan fanzine AMRA. The fanzine was published from the late 60's through the mid 70's.

Mythos said:
The Blade of Conan was a collection of articles that orginally appeared in the old Conan fanzine AMRA. The fanzine was published from the late 60's through the mid 70's.

I was a bit young for Amra, although I read a couple of issues. The question is, how does it stand for canon? Is it the opinion of one guy or something that can be traced back to Howard?

Found the article. :D
What follows is a breakdown version of an article written by L. S. de Camp reguarding the tech found in the orginal Howard Conan stories. The article was first published in 1963.
All the material, tech and idems were found in the orginal stories by REH. Any lines in italics are my own addition to the article.

The following list is the known natural metals that were worked on a regular basis; Gold, Silver, Copper, Lead, Iron. Tin can be implied by the use of Bronze. While Mercury is never mentioned in the orginal stories, it may be implied by the use of mirrors and alchemy experements.

Textiles and clothing are rarely given great descriptions in the stories. However the following are known materials mentioned; Silk in the form of velvet satin, leather. It is also highly likely that wool and linen were also in use as these materials would not conflict with the known progression of weaving and cloth making.

Base chemistry is implied by the presence of Beer, Ale, Wine, Sugar, Mummification and Acids.

Architecture and building materials comes in many forms during the Hyborian Age. Mention is made of both the arch and dome. Due to the amount of space these forms cover it is possible to imply that these are the true forms of Arch and Dome. The Pyramid is used in Stygia. These, however, seem to be used not only as tombs but also as functional temples. The presence of fountains would also seem to imply the use of aquaducts.
Materials used in the construction of buildings run the entire range of known classical materials from Wood through Marble also, Jade and Jet can be found. Again, it is not beyond possiblity to extract a few additional materials such as, Granite, Limestone, Mud Brick. In this case any classical material can be used with little fear of exceeding beliveibility.

Due to time constraints I will need to finish this tomarrow.[/i]

Mythos said:
Found the article. :D
What follows is a breakdown version of an article written by L. S. de Camp reguarding the tech found in the orginal Howard Conan stories. The article was first published in 1963.
[/i]

Interesting analysis! It fits quite closely with my own conclusions. I agree with you about wool and linen -- most of the Hyborian kingdoms at least would have large wool and linen industries, since the peasants have to wear something. I think this can be extrapolated from the stories. Howard rarely described the garb of low-class characters (other than, say, "ragged"), and most of his high-class characters (and his pirates) seem to wear silk. However he did mention that all classes wear silk in Stygia, even slaves. The fact that this is remarkable suggests that peasants and other poor folk elsewhere than Stygia wore something other than silk -- presumably wool or linen.

(forgive my memory if I am mixing authors here....)
I do recall there being mention of chain mail and a chain shirt covering his torso is about as heavy as Conan wore. but I dont recall any plate mail being used.

Rhianni said:
(forgive my memory if I am mixing authors here....)
I do recall there being mention of chain mail and a chain shirt covering his torso is about as heavy as Conan wore. but I dont recall any plate mail being used.
Since I am posting from work I do not have my sources on hand so forgive me if I remember incorrectly.
In Hour of the Dragon, there is refrence to plate mail being worn by the knights of Aqilonia.

Back