A Diamond in the Rough

Okay, so yesterday (Sunday) I happened to wander into a Barnes & Noble in north Atlanta (Georgia, USA), and eventually meandered my way toward the 75% Off table. Oddly enough (or not so oddly enough, perhaps), I was just thinking something along the lines of "wow, it'd great to find some Mongoose Conan books among this potential treasure-heap".

Mitra, Ishtar, or perhaps even grim Crom must've overheard my innermost thoughts, for there in the middle of the table, half-hidden beneath piles of overstocked Twilight paraphenelia, was, lo and behold, an Age of Conan strategy boardgame! It literally beckoned to me, or else the demon-thing trapped within it did, but regardless, I was helpless to its Howardian powers.

Still, I hemmed and hawed for a good half-hour over whether or not to buy the accursed thing, wandering off to other regions of the store, but always, inexorably, I was drawn back to the lotus-sweet beckonings of the 75% Off table where the mighty-sized Conan boardgame awaited me.

And, so yeah, to sum up, I snagged the thing for $20 (regular retail on it is $79.95!). And, though I'll likely never get a chance, or have the time, to play the game itself, the plastic minis themselves were easily worth the twenty bucks. Pretty board too, although it doesn't go any farther eastward than the Sea of Vilayet. Probably not nearly as cool as the $5 boxed sets someone posted about a few days ago, but still, not half bad! ;)

There's supposed to be an exapansion coming out for it called Adventures in Hyboria.

Too bad these guys don't know that "Hyboria" is not a place, but a time.

True, though to be more precise, the Hyborian Age is the time/era. "Hyboria" itself generally refers to the west/northwest of the Thurian continent, where the Hyborian kingdoms are located, but yeah, it still amuses me to hear folks refer to the whole of Conan's world (Howard's vision of our pre-historical Earth, actually) as "Hyboria".

The expansion idea sounds cool, and it might address some of the few negative reviews of the AoC boardgame -- that there isn't enough "adventure" (even though it's fully referred to as a military strategy game, so go figure ;)).

I play the AOC boardgame quite often and I really don't see any negatives. I have a great time with it.

Finding it for $20 is awesome though. I paid retail for it, and I feel like I got my money's worth in fun times, but $20... wow.

Yeah, can't wait to try it out, Vincent. (Now if I can only figure out a decent way to play it solo). It probably won't get much "table time", though, as what little time I have for gaming these days is almost always implemented for RPGing, my much-preferred medium for gaming.

But, again, $20 is quite nearly a steal, so even it doesn't get played for how it was designed, I imagine I'll get some use out of the minis. Possibly even some of the tokens. And in the very least, it's a great addition to my Conan collection!

I agree with Vincent - a great game. I like it almost as much as Arkham Horror. I traded for my brand new game and thought I got a deal - but your find might be the steal of the year. Checkout BoardgameGeek for possible solo play rules - I thought someone posted some rules. Looking forward to the expansion - but FF hasn't even put it on their upcoming release schedule.

Hey, thanks, Strom. Will try to find those solo rules (was on the site today, actually, and didn't see 'em; but then, I wasn't really looking for them either).

Arkham Horror is a pretty sweet game, at least all of the three times that I've played it. Took us that long to finally defeat Cthulhu and his minions! ;)

Back