A completed Missile Article

locarno24 said:
Depends on the definition of hypsersonic...

Mach 6-7 hypersonic missiles? Should cut through the side armor like butter.

locarno24 said:
As commented before. Torpedoes are always the ship-killer. However, they also don't translate to traveller equivalent because they are using (a) the advantages of underwater detonation physics, and (b) the weight of the ship itself to inflict damage, neither of which really applies in space combat.

Yes, underwater torpedoes don't have a spatial equivalent. But then again underwater torpedoes don't have an equivalent of smashing objects into each other at ultra-high velocities. Depending on how the missile impacts (chasing from behind or colliding head-on), the terminal velocity and kinetic energy can be far more massive than the energy generated by an underwater explosion.

phavoc said:
DFW said:
phavoc said:
I tried to do some research on this last night. There are actually a number of threads out there on some boards where the naval grognards have debated this back and forth. The conclusion that I was able to come to was that about half said yes, and half said no. :) Which is not bad for being an internet forum!

My uncle was an O6 and engineer who designed missile & anti-missile/anti-air systems for the Navy. An exocet or harpoon couldn't even punch through the conning tower armour on an Iowa class BB.

I saw pics of it. Looked like a bank vault. Says they had between 16" - 17" of B class armor...whatever that is...

Class B naval armour is a special highest strength and ductility steel designed specifically to deter anti-ship ordnance. It absorbs some energy and dissipates it across a broader area than face-hardened armor.

TO: apoc527 & DFW...

Um, can you guys understand discussion of theory? Yes Gravitic has no nozzles, but is every single ship in all of Traveller gravitic? How heavy is the armor there or is there another spot that is the weakest point? Hey what about nailing the bridge right in the front windows (which many ships that go atmospheric seem to be drawn having). Battlestar Galactica (original) even addressed that having front windows/portals and when it looked like the enemy was getting close enough ol' Commander Adama would call for "Positive Shielding" which meant "Raise the damm blast shields MAN!"

GamerDude said:
TO: apoc527 & DFW...

Um, can you guys understand discussion of theory? Yes Gravitic has no nozzles, but is every single ship in all of Traveller gravitic?

Everyone above TL 8 pretty much is. All the jump capable ones are. So, 99% of ships you'll encounter in 3I Trav probably are.

I'm not 100% on the plasma missiles... how do they work, exactly? It seems to me the second you release Plasma into space it's going to get scattered in every direction and barely any of it will come into contact with the vessel you shot the missile at. Plasma is gas after all.

AlphaWhelp said:
I'm not 100% on the plasma missiles... how do they work, exactly? It seems to me the second you release Plasma into space it's going to get scattered in every direction and barely any of it will come into contact with the vessel you shot the missile at. Plasma is gas after all.

It's the directed plasma warhead from CSC. YMMV. It's really just a name for a more advanced shaped charge.

I am trying to remember from way back in the 80's when I first start playing Traveller, but I seem to remember that each missile rack holds 3 missiles each. So you can fire three separate times before having to reload the rack inside a turret.
Is this the case? Or are missile racks a one shot tube, having to be reloaded each time between shots?
I cannot find anything in the core rules except how many missiles can fit in 1 ton of space.
Anyone?

A turret can have three missile racks, each of which holds 1 missile (so you can fire three a turn)
I would say this is a double missile turret:
Talos%20launcher%201024%20C.jpg

Or something like it.

Also, it's 12 missiles to the ton, and one torpedo every 2.5 tons.

So since missile racks are a 1-shot tube inside a turret, how long does it take to reload, one turn I'm guessing? And can a gunner reload a second missile in a rack during the flight of the first missile? Or does the gunner have to wait until the missile strikes home or destroyed before he can reload?

My players are going to have one turret with at least 2 missile racks in it, and since they will have only 1 person per turret, I want to be sure I get the combat turns correct.

Thanks for the help! :)

Sea Dart and Sea Wolf. To channel Burke from Aliens for a moment

"My company manufactures(d) those by the way"

LBH
(No, really they do/did)

Oh fair enough :D
Is still pretty damn cool. Are we allowed to ask what it is you do? Or is that all secret and what-not...

We're not even supposed to tell people who we work for, never mind what on....

Of course I could tell you, but then I get stuck in that old cliche, and the paperwork that's involved in cleaning that up, I tell you, it almost takes the fun out of it .... 8)

LBH

lastbesthope said:
We're not even supposed to tell people who we work for, never mind what on....

Of course I could tell you, but then I get stuck in that old cliche, and the paperwork that's involved in cleaning that up, I tell you, it almost takes the fun out of it .... 8)

LBH

Ah, it's just a little cleaning up after he's killed.

Back