4th preview is up

Wulf Corbett said:
I've tried wearing mail with no padding... never again! Especially a coif. I do not want a wicker pattern skull...

Wulf

It is a one time only experience, to say the least.

Adept said:
Warhammers, rapiers and platemail don't really have a place on Glorantha, especially in the second age. It would be great to see references to normal equipment being leather armour, spears, bows and slings, at least for the common soldier & warrior.

Dwarfs definitely use Warhammers and Plate Mail in Glorantha. And their blacksmithing technoìogy is superior to any Renaissance age Earth equivalent, so the stats are appropriate.

@Wulf Corbett: I think the regular values given for chainmail do include padding, for the exact reasons you mentioned :)

RosenMcStern said:
@Wulf Corbett: I think the regular values given for chainmail do include padding, for the exact reasons you mentioned :)
They do indeed (or did in previous RQ). I prefer my previous explanation for mail values vs swords.

Wulf

RosenMcStern said:
te Mail in Glorantha. And their blacksmithing technoìogy is superior to any Renaissance age Earth equivalent, so the stats are appropriate.

That's one way to look at it. I prefer the dwarves in enchanted iron (steel) chainmail or panoply. Warhammers don't really make sense until you have platemail to hammer at.

Wulf Corbett said:
RosenMcStern said:
They do indeed (or did in previous RQ). I prefer my previous explanation for mail values vs swords.

Wulf

For the record, the Vikings material mentions 1 or 2 point padding all over the place and the rules devote some space to discussing layering armor. I prefer this method because I like to eliminate abstractions; for the average person, it's more detail than necessary.

wartorn said:
Fair points, but the Special (or Critical can't remember) Hit mechanic accomodates hitting vulnerable spots in the old edition and the Precise Strike accomodates that in the new version.

Oh god, why be exact when you can be verbose eh?

So can I precise strike my swim or orate or sneak?

Sounds like someone at mongoose needs a slap, and to be told it isn't a D&D feat.

homerjsinnott said:
wartorn said:
Fair points, but the Special (or Critical can't remember) Hit mechanic accomodates hitting vulnerable spots in the old edition and the Precise Strike accomodates that in the new version.

Oh god, why be exact when you can be verbose eh?

So can I precise strike my swim or orate or sneak?

Sounds like someone at mongoose needs a slap, and to be told it isn't a D&D feat.

Whoops my mistake; it is actually Precise Attack -> Location Strike. I have to wonder if that rule is going to last very long in people's games given the feedback it has been getting.

Back