3.2 Q&A

Mongoose Gar

Mongoose
Mainly to keep EDG from filling my inbox!

Clarifications: Pop 0 will mean exactly that - a totally uninhabited planet.

Barren worlds aren't Low Tech, Non-Industrialised or any other social trade code.

Industrial worlds should be Atm 0-4, 7, 9 ala CT.

Any other questions, ask away!

Thanks, Gar.

Though you've confused me further now:

CT book 6 says that Industrial is atm 0,1,2,4,7,9 and pop 9+.

You're saying here that it should be 0,1,2,3,4,7,9 and pop 9+ - atm 3 has crept in there. Do you mean that, or do you mean it should be exactly like CT?

And basically can you look at the 3.2 Tech level determination table and see if you can spot any actual errors/omissions there?

e.g.
gov 4 has a +1 DM, but I think you meant for that to be associated with gov 5 since that's what every other version of Traveller does.

pop 9 and A don't have tech level DMs, but do in every other version of Traveller (should be +2 and +4). And should pop B and C have any TL DMs?

Are these changes intentional or accidental?

And are these statements true for MGT 3.2:

1) if size=0, then atm=0.
2) if size=0, then hyd=0.
3) if pop=0, then gov,law, and tech = 0 and starport=X

Otherwise should the TL table be identical to CT's?

Mongoose Gar said:

But what about the population modifier????

Also, the Va (Vacuum: size 1+ with atm 0) code isn't in the Trade Classification table, and I didn't see it in the trade tables. Is that deliberate?

Mongoose Gar said:
Mainly to keep EDG from filling my inbox!

Barren worlds aren't Low Tech, Non-Industrialised or any other social trade code.

Industrial worlds should be Atm 0-4, 7, 9 ala CT.

Hmmm...ok I got a question MG...

How is your day going?

Figured I would throw in some pleasantries before the flood gates (which you have now opened) come pouring in. Luckily EDG is taking it easy on you so far...

Sorry, but this is strange.
That would mean, that ALL Planets have a population of zero, as the default PopMod would be zero.

To put it in another way, a planet with 5 people on it, which PopCode would it get in MongTrav?

Settembrini said:
That would mean, that ALL Planets have a population of zero, as the default PopMod would be zero.

To put it in another way, a planet with 5 people on it, which PopCode would it get in MongTrav?

????0??-? 5??

AKAramis said:
Settembrini said:

????0??-? 5??
...ding! give the man a banana! :D
Code:
Pop
Code  Inhabitants
0     0 to 9
1     10 to 99
2     100 to 999
3     1,000 to 9,999
4     10,000 to 99,999
5     100,000 to 999,999
6     1,000,000 to 9,999,999
7     10,000,000 to 99,999,999
8     1,000,000,000 to 9,999,999,999
9     10,000,000,000 to 99,999,999,999
A     100,000,000,000 to 999,999,999,999
*HOWEVER*, there *IS* a kink in this sytem, as Settembrini has pointed out, as *any* Pop code multiplied by zero is, well, zero. For some reason this appears to have been over looked for all the other Pop codes..........

My thought on this is that Traveller world builders have used 0 to mean the same as 1:

Pop multiplier 1 ^ Pop code 6 = 1,000,000
Pop multiplier 0 ^ Pop code 6 = 0,000,000 = 0.

CALL FOR AN ADMIN/MOD: Could someone please move this post + the two above (AKAramis's and Settembrini's) to the PBG Rules thread? I think they'd be more relevant and of use there. KTHNXBAI Teh Hiver

Gruffty the Hiver said:
AKAramis said:
Settembrini said:

????0??-? 5??
...ding! give the man a banana! :D
Code:
Pop
Code  Inhabitants
0     0 to 9
1     10 to 99
2     100 to 999
3     1,000 to 9,999
4     10,000 to 99,999
5     100,000 to 999,999
6     1,000,000 to 9,999,999
7     10,000,000 to 99,999,999
8     1,000,000,000 to 9,999,999,999
9     10,000,000,000 to 99,999,999,999
A     100,000,000,000 to 999,999,999,999
*HOWEVER*, there *IS* a kink in this sytem, as Settembrini has pointed out, as *any* Pop code multiplied by zero is, well, zero. For some reason this appears to have been over looked for all the other Pop codes..........

My thought on this is that Traveller world builders have used 0 to mean the same as 1:

Pop multiplier 1 ^ Pop code 6 = 1,000,000
Pop multiplier 0 ^ Pop code 6 = 0,000,000 = 0.

CALL FOR AN ADMIN/MOD: Could someone please move this post + the two above (AKAramis's and Settembrini's) to the PBG Rules thread? I think they'd be more relevant and of use there. KTHNXBAI Teh Hiver

Wait, huh ? The fact that there is no population modifier doesn't mean that it is zero, just that MGT doesn't use it. Is the old pop x pop mod calculation still included somewhere I missed in MGT ?

It should be mentioned in the text, just for clarity, that some editions listed the pop multiplier; and give an optional method for determining it. Said method should probably be d10's...

How do "to hit" modifiers apply to autofire attacks, if they apply at all? (It would be helpful for the example to include the effects of the firer's Rifle skill).

Settembrini said:

How many tons of farm machinery do you expect to sell to 5 people (a man, his wife and 3 children)? Is there really going to be ANY significant Trade?

What kind of a Starport can they operate?

Are terms like Government and Law Level meaningful? If you are a member of the family and break one of the rules, you get time out - Strangers are shot on sight.

I've been wondering for a couple of revisions what is the end of this sentence?

If two vessels randomly encounter each other while travelling, the encounter will begin at Very Long range. More often,
ships engage near a planet, where the range is
enemy vessel locations, pg 1 of space combat, version 3.2

atpollard said:
Settembrini said:

How many tons of farm machinery do you expect to sell to 5 people (a man, his wife and 3 children)? Is there really going to be ANY significant Trade?

What kind of a Starport can they operate?

Are terms like Government and Law Level meaningful? If you are a member of the family and break one of the rules, you get time out - Strangers are shot on sight.

Well now, that can actually be much more than you expect. Imagine an automated facility. Maybe mining, or antimatter production. The only people there pretty much have to be, even though they don't do a large percentage of the work there. Other than standard luxuries they may want as individuals, supplies for the facility will be needed. How much lubricant does several thousand tons of machinery need? Often at such remote facilities the local controller/supervisor would probably have permission to trade for needed materials. Kinda saves homebase from having to send another supply run.

As to government, well, they are probably under the rules and regulations of who ever it was that sent them out there to begin with. As a real world example, US Military personnel at remote or small bases are fully expected to obey local laws (if there are any) as well as the military laws, and many US laws.

Hmm, the starbases. It's not unlikely there's some kind of formal facilities, especially if they have regular shipping. (Why be out there if you aren't doing something useful.) Although it's kind of silly to expect a class A, it might be doable if the site was once much larger, and the workforce was replaced by automation. Also, if it's an emergency facility of some form, that could also have a starport much higher than would seem necessary. Imagine if it's a mothballed military base leftover from a previous fleet expansion, or an emergency command facility just in case of war or something. The GM can do many things of interest even when the initial results seem odd, or flat out break the standard creations.

Of course, none of this takes into account, malcontents, castaways, hide-aways, or hermits. Those types probably don't have any real trade, or starports worth mentioning.

Just a side note, on such a low population place, someone who's really good at convincing people has an opportunity most people don't have. He could use his powers of persuasion to circumvent the law and government by convincing the entire population to go along with his plan. Something that just doesn't work too well when theres a billion or more people...

Back