2nd Edition GM Screen and basic questions

Lum The Mad

Mongoose
Hi everybody.

I am quite interested in the Conan RPG though I do not own any products so far. I was going to order the basic books but I have a few questions first. Maybe someone can clarify the following:

I have seen the "First Edition", the "Atlantean Edition" and the "Second Edition". I understand that the Second Edition is state of art but what is the Atlantean Edition?

I have seen on the homepage of a retailer a 2nd Edition GM Screen (announced for August 2007!!!). What happened to this? Am I save with the First Edition GM Screen or should I wait for the 2nd Edition version? Any news on that?

Thanks in advance.

The Atlantean Edition was an updated and corrected version of the First Edition, 2nd edition id the most up to date edition.

LBH

Lum The Mad said:
Hi everybody.

I am quite interested in the Conan RPG though I do not own any products so far. I was going to order the basic books but I have a few questions first. Maybe someone can clarify the following:

I have seen the "First Edition", the "Atlantean Edition" and the "Second Edition". I understand that the Second Edition is state of art but what is the Atlantean Edition?

I have seen on the homepage of a retailer a 2nd Edition GM Screen (announced for August 2007!!!). What happened to this? Am I save with the First Edition GM Screen or should I wait for the 2nd Edition version? Any news on that?

Thanks in advance.

LBH has it right. The 2nd edition GM screen is just a rumor at this point, even though it is on some retailers pre-order lists. I found the 1st edition GM screen a helpful & worthwhile purchase. It includes a beautiful (but flawed - see the map thread further down) map and great art from Chris Quilliams. Welcome to the Hyborian Age! 8)

Cheers Strom,

Glad I was right, I don't actually own Conan RPG stuff, but I try to keep up to date on the different editions of books Mongoose produce.

LBH

I never doubted you would be on top of the situation - your the Mongoose Maximus!

Cheers LBH!

Thanks everybody.
As Mongoose doesn't even list the 2nd Edition GM Screen under upcoming releases I consider the project to be dead.

Here is something else to consider:

Its really the only bone I have to pick with Mongoose (note: not with the game of Conan).

About a year ago I was thrilled to learn there was a Conan RPG. Though I had heard a second edition was coming out soon. I was so excited to get started, I bought the 1st edition anyway, just to get the basic mechanical differences in my mind as I crafted the campaign.

The release of the next edition was announce, so I pre-ordered. When I got the Atlantean Editon I was kinda miffed. It had less difference than D&D 3.0 & 3.5! It was really more like Conan 1.1 ...for full price.

Imagine my suprise a couple months later when they announced the "2nd Edition" book was soon to release. I felt that same feeling like when DC created that alien plot-devise with an exo-skeleton to "kill" superman -- it was all a scheme to drive up revinue.

Seeing my frustration at Mongoose trying to get in my pocket for another book, my players took the liberty of purchasing the second edition books in my stead. When they arrived they were black-and-white printer paper quality, which fell out of the binding...they were cheap...for full price.

In the end, I kind of feel some consolation, because the Atlantean Edition has gloss pages, full color, and good art -- overall a good book.

Also, the game of Conan is the answer to everything my home-brew was aspiring to be. It really suits me. So much so that I say dam WotC and 4th edition! Dam their effort to turn D&D into a table top version of a Video-game! Wasn't it not too long ago that video-games were trying to imitate table-top? It's like Obi-Wan and Darth Vader...at first video-games were inferior, now they have become the master!...though only masters of evil...

First Edition: Alot of typos, did not have Parry and Dodge defence, just defence values.

Atlantean: Corrected the mass of typos and Defence values. Added a new feat.

2nd Edition: Added a few SMALL changes, as did Atlantean. THerefore, not a new edition, but a reformatted one.

Atlantean and 2nd are TOTALLY compatible. I decided to stick with Atlantean, as it is better (Construction wise) book and in color, with gloss pages and Stitch binding.

No GM screen is needed, if the original is had.

Saxon said:
Seeing my frustration at Mongoose trying to get in my pocket for another book, my players took the liberty of purchasing the second edition books in my stead. When they arrived they were black-and-white printer paper quality, which fell out of the binding...they were cheap...for full price.

If you haven't already, contact msprange@mongoosepublishing.com to arrange getting a replacement copy of the book for free.

LBH

Saxon said:
Also, the game of Conan is the answer to everything my home-brew was aspiring to be. It really suits me.

I feel the same way about the Conan setting. I've always ran home brews, yet I'd never read any Conan till about a year ago. I was getting ready to scrap my world, create a new one, and start a new campaign. Then, I started reading Conan, and discovered that my perfect setting, the world I was going to create, was Conan. What a glorious discovery that was! Mongoose's Conan is everything I've wanted in a setting. As you say, it really suits me. If I tried to create my own setting, it would be just like Conan, only not as good!

I feel the same. It was really great to see Howard's Conan get the hardcover treatment - and in full color. The standard has been set - and is still being set - for any future Conan rpgs. And no one can say that Mongoose has not supported the line with informative & interesting to read supplements that can be used with other systems, if need be.

I've just picked up the Atlantean version as I cannot stomach black and white 2nd edition when the Atlantean ed is as good as rules wise and on the book quality
(full colour gloss paper excellent binding!!!!)

However I would have appreceiated Mongoose putting out a free upgrade pdf for those Atlantean owners who dont want to 'upgrade' to a B&W rulebook.

Back