Yay, Dragon Warriors!

Such a great system indeed, so much better the D&D, combat not based on armour you are wearing, but skill, simple to use, and good magic rules as well, no more level one wizards with one fireball spell for the day..!!!

Deep joy...

happy - cos i always liked this system, its simplicity (yet surprising depth) and feel, very glad to see it come back (another childhood staple like lone wolf too ...)

annoyed - as i spent far too much buying the paperbacks from ebay for inflated sums ... poo :oops:

Had to join to say great news!
Just introduced my 10 year old nephew to roleplaying, and used my old 1985
dragon warriors to do it. Would be nice not to use my books, they are getting a bit tattered now. Weird that I just start playing it again for the first time in 20 years, and here comes the new edition.
Wonder if they will clean up some of the rules a bit, and balance some of the later classes....

Forgive my ignorance.

I know next to nothing about this game but at the local shop the owner always mentions this game whenever rpgs come up, and it has been hailed as a great game.

But what has it to do with flaming cobra or mongoose?

Is it being republished?

Mage said:
Forgive my ignorance.

I know next to nothing about this game but at the local shop the owner always mentions this game whenever rpgs come up, and it has been hailed as a great game.

But what has it to do with flaming cobra or mongoose?

Is it being republished?

DW was an RPG published in novel sized books in the mid 1980s. As a result, it was often on shelves next to other children's books and the likes of Fighting Fantasy. This meant that many people in UK (and Australia and NZ) came across RPGing first through Dragon Warriors.

The RPG on its surface seems like a light version of D&D. However, the real beauty is the setting which was genuinely evocative. You felt like you were always on the edge of a creepy dark wood beste by unearthly fey horrors :)

Magnum Opus has recently obtained the righs to reedit the old books and are releasing them in a normal RPG format. They have contracted Mongoose to print and distribute the books through the Flaming Cobra line.

The first book is due in October (its already up for preorder). This book contains all the rules, setting and player information from the 6 DW books. It will be followed by the Bestiary (compiling all monsters together) and 4 campaign books, again all from the original 6 books.

So yes, its being republished.

I too congratualte all involved in bringing back this great rpg. New art looks stunning but there has been no info on content re new/revised rule stuff.

When I was browsing the upcoming Flaming Cobra releases and saw Dragon Warriors in there, I thought "Nah, couldn't be...it's just a a new game with the same name...not a remake of the 80's classic."
Then I clicked on the link and...wow, after all this time we really do get a remake. Definitely gonna get this.

Some things I'd like to see revised/added:
- Elves and Dwarves getting proper Player Race writeups.
- A Rank(level) cap.
- A Skill System.

:D Very good news! Although I must admit I was never that keen on most of the game mechanics - I used RQ2/BRP instead, using the character classes as career gudelines and keeping the DW spells - I loved the setting, critters, justice system, character background tables, language relationship chart..and the published adventures were fun.

Is it too late to put in a plea for a bit more clarity regarding the Casket Of Feys? IIRC it had a random table with 13 entries for each time it's opened, with #13 being something like "dense mist swirls around the casket and the user, shadowy figures snatch the casket and disappear with it as the mist clears" but no guidance as to how the table was meant to work - I HR'd that the user rolled 1d20 each use and #13 was actually 13+; but it was the era of wacky dice, so I wonder if I was actually meant to buy a d13 or maybe use 4d4-3?

hal said:
The RPG on its surface seems like a light version of D&D. However, the real beauty is the setting which was genuinely evocative. You felt like you were always on the edge of a creepy dark wood beste by unearthly fey horrors :).

I never can remember which gamebook series was based in the Dragon Warriors world. Was it Blood Sword? I think it was Blood Sword.

Balgin Stondraeg said:
hal said:
The RPG on its surface seems like a light version of D&D. However, the real beauty is the setting which was genuinely evocative. You felt like you were always on the edge of a creepy dark wood beste by unearthly fey horrors :).

I never can remember which gamebook series was based in the Dragon Warriors world. Was it Blood Sword? I think it was Blood Sword.

Yes, though there was also a couple of others that were much more obscure.

hal said:
Balgin Stondraeg said:
hal said:

Yes, though there was also a couple of others that were much more obscure.

Well to be fair The World of Orb features in at least 4 different gamebook series (Way of the Tiger, Fighting Fantasy, Duelmaster and one really obscure series of about 4 books that included Cassandra, Tyuchev and Thaum once again as incidental villains). Those three really stand out as cunning evil scumbags.

I don't think Dragon Warriors was World of Orb 'though (but I suspect that that whole "the Wizard and the Warrior" coin tossing gamebook series might've been set in the same world as the Blood Sword ones).

This is great news, I have the original 6 books sitting here in front of me, but will buy this in a shot. I remember some of the later classes didn't seem to balance very well, anyone know if they are rejigging the rules or is it just a reprint?

Good to see it's coming back...

I have fond memories of creating a Warlock, in a similar vein to the Elric novels. However, if the Warlock is still in the core rules I would like to see it modified so as a class it was more balanced, or streamlined.

I also recall having problems regarding the assassin class, in convincing people to play it because they thought it was too complicated (kind of ironic for an RPG which was easier to play than AD&D). Instead they either wanted to play a cool barbarian or an Elementalist with the power to summon a Tsunami...

As stated earlier, would like to see re-writes for some of the races, especially the Elves and Dwarfs. In particular, the Elves were portrayed as 'Soulless'.

Just want to add my congrats for whoever decided to redo Gragon Warriors. Interestingly Matthew Sprange wrote this in a recent email when I enquired:

"We are reformatting the books (so all character classes are in one place,
etc), and some rewriting is being done - there will be several Dragon
Warriors books eventually, but all the information of the original six will
be in the first three released."

So the first 3 books will have books 1-6 rules, and then? Adventures and hopefulluy new rules. Can't wait. :D

SnowShadow said:
So the first 3 books will have books 1-6 rules, and then? Adventures and hopefulluy new rules. Can't wait. :D

The first three books are the Rulebook, the Bestiary and Elven Crystals. There will then be the two other books with the campaigns that were in books 1, 2 and 4 and book 5 respectively. James Wallis has seemed to say that no new material will be written once those 5 books have been done.

Ah. thanks for that.

I loved the Elven Crystals, just a great classic adventurous romp standard fantasy monsters/situations and magic treasure. Hey - wasn't that the one with the barnacle men? They were kinda cool undead and I think Davey Jones/Pirates of the Carribbean might have been inspired by 'em.

Finally I can put aside my Home Brew Revised "Companion" (For a while at least), But it will be tough playing and GMing without my expanded spell lists for all casters and more open "Skills of the Mighty" for Sorcerer and adding a "Skills of the Mighty" for Elementalists, Barbarians & Mystics.

Hopefully they clean up the Power Creep issues that the Assassin had, only to see the Elementalist Nerfed, Warlocks where more in step when adventuring alongside more Veteran characters.

Back