Yay, Dragon Warriors!

As DW was unknown in the US at the time, and I have only learned of the books of late, and I look forward to this reissue. Let us all hope the printing/binding are well-done. :wink:

hal said:
SnowShadow said:
So the first 3 books will have books 1-6 rules, and then? Adventures and hopefulluy new rules. Can't wait. :D

The first three books are the Rulebook, the Bestiary and Elven Crystals. There will then be the two other books with the campaigns that were in books 1, 2 and 4 and book 5 respectively. James Wallis has seemed to say that no new material will be written once those 5 books have been done.

Some updates from what I said earlier.

James Wallis has confirmed that if the DW rulebook sells well then further books are a possibility. Mass combat rules and a "Robin Hood/Ivanhoe" class have been discussed, but nothing is set yet.

Sleeping Gods contains all the adventures from books 1, 2, 4 and 6.

There have been 3 other artists named beside Erik Wilson and Jon Hodgson (who is the primary artist).

Sir Brad said:
Hopefully they clean up the Power Creep issues that the Assassin had, only to see the Elementalist Nerfed, Warlocks where more in step when adventuring alongside more Veteran characters.

Looking back over thre Yahoo list, both Ian Sturrock and James Wallis placed high priority on balancing professions.

Some of the stuff that was mentioned (though none was confirmed):

- moving tracking from Assassin to Knight/Barbarian
- having Assassins choose which abilities they had (rather than getting them all).
- balancing Warlocks (particualrly so they don't make knights redundant).
- boosting non-Darkness Elementalists.

This is one of my all-time favourites. The adventures featured in the original books were some of the finest I'd GMed and the world background was superb.

I can't wait to get my mits on the new books.

Just need to find a Nik Kershaw CD and I'll be right back in the eighties!

I personally don't think the Warlock is as overpowered as some people make him out to be.
His small amount of Magic Points seriously limits any perceived power advantage he may have over a knight.
If you actually make use of your Simultaneous Casting ability for example to put up two "buff" spells at the beginning of a fight, you've basically blown your entire magical potential for the day(if you're lucky you can regain half your points if you end the spells consciously before they expire).
So yeah, you aren't going to cast a lot of spells, that's for sure and once you've run out of MP you're not gonna catch up to a Knight in combat ability.
Knights have 2 more HP, 1 higher Attack and Defense, as well as 1 higher Evasion and isn't restricted to a few weapon groups. That's not even touching High Rank abilities, which makes Knights decidedly superior fighters to an unbuffed Warlock.

The only thing I would maybe change is not letting Warlocks wear any and all types of armor without penalty, that was pretty much the Knight's unique schtick up until the Warlock showed up.

FallenAngel said:
IThe only thing I would maybe change is not letting Warlocks wear any and all types of armor without penalty, that was pretty much the Knight's unique schtick up until the Warlock showed up.

Yeah, I agree. FWIW the new DW team seem very conservative and any changes will be minor. However, I think we will see some movement.

hogscape said:
In readiness for the new release, does anyone have any live links to fan created DW goodness?

The Yahoo Group has some decent dowloads including the scanned version of Box of Old Bones.

Matt, what format do the new books for Dragon Warriors come in? Are they novel sized like the originals, or are they the larger A4 format? Personally, I'm hoping that they're smaller books, like the Munchausen book. I remember the game fondly and liked the portable book sizes.

Valarian said:
Matt, what format do the new books for Dragon Warriors come in? Are they novel sized like the originals, or are they the larger A4 format? Personally, I'm hoping that they're smaller books, like the Munchausen book. I remember the game fondly and liked the portable book sizes.

They are US Letter. The same as 99% of all RPGs.

Got my copy of DW and have to say it has a really nostalgic feel to it. In all the best ways, it reminds of RPing back in the day. The rules are simple, but elegant and there is lots of scope for heroic adventuring. Hurrah!

It even had that nice, 'new book' smell that a good RPG should have. :D

AlphaStrike said:
Got my copy of DW and have to say it has a really nostalgic feel to it. In all the best ways, it reminds of RPing back in the day. The rules are simple, but elegant and there is lots of scope for heroic adventuring. Hurrah!

It even had that nice, 'new book' smell that a good RPG should have. :D

I assume that you are a preorder.

Please provide a summary of the minor changes to the Elementalist and Assassin.

Also, does the game still have the 2d10/1d20 dichotomy for its core rules or have they dropped one in favour of the other?

Hear hear! How does it hold up to today's RPGs with their heavy focus on skills and feats? Although I personally DM 4e D&D, it already feels like a chore running it. Combat is still needlessly complex what with this thing marking that thing, etc.; although it is lot better than 3.x in the combat department.

From what little I've been able to gather from the 'net, DW seems to me to capture that pulp swords and sorcery feel, much like the Conan novels. It doesn't seem very high fantasy at all and almost reminds me of Warhammer with it's British flavorings. Is this a fair assessment? Any info is greatly appreciated! Also, how long did it take for you to receive your pre-ordered copy? Thanks again! :)

DaveyB said:
How does it hold up to today's RPGs with their heavy focus on skills and feats? Although I personally DM 4e D&D, it already feels like a chore running it. Combat is still needlessly complex what with this thing marking that thing, etc.; although it is lot better than 3.x in the combat department.

DW feels a lot like Red Box D&D in terms of play and combat. As such, PCs may have a few "abilities" but on the whole special rules are simply adjudicated in play by the GM.

DaveyB said:
From what little I've been able to gather from the 'net, DW seems to me to capture that pulp swords and sorcery feel, much like the Conan novels. It doesn't seem very high fantasy at all and almost reminds me of Warhammer with it's British flavorings. Is this a fair assessment? Any info is greatly appreciated!

DW isn't so much Sword and Sorcery as Medieval History. Though both a grim and gritty and magic is something to be superstitious of, DW doesn't share a number of other elements with the likes of Conan.

Your comparison to Warhammer (the RPG not the wargame) is more apt as Warhammer has a more realistic, grim and gritty flavour (though DW and WFRP are seperate beasts again).

DaveyB said:
Also, how long did it take for you to receive your pre-ordered copy? Thanks again! :)

Assuming the books arrived on 6 November as Matt said, they should take less than a week.

Back