Would you like to see Vincent write more sourcebooks?

Would you like to see more sourcebooks written by Vincent Darlage?

• Yes, he should write more sourcebooks.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, he shouldn't write anything else for Conan.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
When you analyze it about the statement of PC being kept in the dark, the old ADnD got it right w/ the PC handbook, the DM handbook, and the Monster Manny, I remember only having the $12.00 Players book and remembering at age 12 or 14 god, only if I knew what my saving throws were, but the DM would not tell me, since he had the book with throw tables on pages 77-79.
Not knowing about your character capabilities is real-life. I think it adds mystery if we are not sure if our character can clear that 20 foot jump across the chasm, while wearing a chain mail shirt and toting 11 lbs of coins.

Spectator said:
When you analyze it about the statement of PC being kept in the dark, the old ADnD got it right w/ the PC handbook, the DM handbook, and the Monster Manny, I remember only having the $12.00 Players book and remembering at age 12 or 14 god, only if I knew what my saving throws were, but the DM would not tell me, since he had the book with throw tables on pages 77-79.
Not knowing about your character capabilities is real-life. I think it adds mystery if we are not sure if our character can clear that 20 foot jump across the chasm, while wearing a chain mail shirt and toting 11 lbs of coins.

Indeed, it adds a certain realism to it. Gives the GM much more room to manipulate as well. But this can be, at least to some degree, added via manipulating some special-gm modifiers.

When Im gamemastering I usually take my players basic stats and important skills, and roll for them if they are to spot something or if something happens which they are unaware of. If they are bitten by a poison snake, they can make the save. If the wine they are drinking is poisoned, I as a GM can make the savingthrow.

I really enjoy his works. It was his web-site that really got me hooked to the Conan setting. It was the details he put into the backdrop that got me into the Conan game. And its his continued support of the game and the fanship that keeps me coming back.

The Conan game as it is, is a little chunky form my taste. I'm an old-school gamer, and I like rules that are simplistic and ambiguous. So I dont care about fancy or detailed rules - I like ideas! I'm not saying that I reject rules in general, I just like the rules to support the flow of the game, and not for the rules to dictate the way the game should be played. The Heaps of Jewels in a Careless Riot of Splendour idea from Ruins of Hyboria (p 134) is beautiful in its simplicity. It has no mechanics, and you can use it with any game or fantasy setting - its just an idea after all! As for rules, the Temptress class and Thusla's Savant class are some of the best additions I had seen for the game. I basically like to take what rules and ideas that are good, and use it with whatever game or system I'm using.

As I noted, I like the rich details of the setting. I like reading about the costumes, the lifestyles, and the customs of each culture. I'm not big on uber-details, I just like enough details to get the "feel" of the cultures, and not get bogged down with a lot of petty details. I remember White Wolf and TSR did metaplots to nauseam back in the 90s, that once sickened me to the idea of playing established cannons. But I found it was just better to use just enough background material, and rollball with the rest. A lot of the ideas I find in the background fluff, find their way into my other game as well. A good example is how Nordhelmers wear their coinage - it just seems like a neat idea for any culture that likes to flaunt materialism.

I'm quit content with what has been published so far. I really like Road of Kings and Ruins of Hyboria, but I found the F books to be a little to chunky. I cant think of anything more to be said about the fluff that has not already been said. And it hard to make a supplement that is more then just a chunky spat-book. I'm just grateful for the bits of tasty game candy that Vincent throws around on this forum (the Temptress stats, the mystery cult notes, and the priest states).

I think the only thing yet covered in the Conan books are information about playing in the Age of Atlantis.

I'm not planing on getting any new Conan books any time soon, but if Vincent made a book with nothing but character stats for every character from the books, and a level-by-level notes of Conan's life path (basically like how his Conan site is like), I would get that book before it had a chance to get to know the store shelves! I would not buy such a book unless, it was written by Darlage, as I was quit impressed with the quality of detail he put into the personalities of Nafertari (from the Belit the Temptress thread), Conan and Valeria (from Ruins of Hyboria). I cant think of a better person for the job then Bob Howard himself! :wink:

I love Vincents work, especially Across the Thunder River, so I voted yes; but at the same time I'd like to see work from other authors as well. Diverse interpretation is, and always has been, part of the Hyborian setting, and that same diversity makes the RPG just as interesting and colorful.

Malcadon said:
...but if Vincent made a book with nothing but character stats for every character from the books, and a level-by-level notes of Conan's life path (basically like how his Conan site is like), I would get that book before it had a chance to get to know the store shelves! I would not buy such a book unless, it was written by Darlage, as I was quit impressed with the quality of detail he put into the personalities of Nafertari (from the Belit the Temptress thread), Conan and Valeria (from Ruins of Hyboria). I cant think of a better person for the job then Bob Howard himself! :wink:

Thank you. I have asked repeatedly to write such a book, but so far I have been turned down.

VincentDarlage said:
Thank you. I have asked repeatedly to write such a book, but so far I have been turned down.
That is a real shame!

It sounds like good question for a new poll. ;)

Actually, I think that kind of book would prove more useful in the end than the Bestiary, as most foes in Conan are humans.

Vincent is an amazing write for Conan! I have every book he has written and helped write. I love his style, the amount of detail and thought he puts into each passage are just phenominal.

He absolutely should be hired to write more books for the Conan Roleplaying Game. One such book should be the above mentioned book on characters. That would be an amazing book.

Hollywood

Yes.
Vincent's work is definitely the very best of the Conan rpg.
He and Dale's insights, vast knowledge of the canon, comics and pastiches should be central to mongooses vision for the game. I really hope they give him lots more work and control over the line.

I may not buy many more books for the line unless he writes them, or personally endorses them with review. It's nice to see that some of the other writers, the guy doing Cimmeria, at least has consulted Vincent for advice.

Vincent picthed a shutout back in February '07:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25889&highlight=adventures

I'm pretty sure Mongoose has a handle on the popularity of Mr. Darlage's Conan work. I'm all for more Vincent Conan - but I do think they should let him also venture outside the regional supps and explore more specific aspects of the game like NPCs (as mentioned), adventures that tie into already published adventures - Heretics or Golden Skull adding more info to already established locales.

tcherban said:
though I think the regional sourcebooks fall a bit off target, focusing on too many mundane details (clothing, sexuality, marriage...) when they should focus on adventure gaming

I disagree with this (though I respect your opinion Hervé) since such mundane and cultural details are one of (might be the one) the things who made me open my eyes for the CONAN RPG. Having worked with some game development myself I appreciate this level of detail since CONAN is about culture and not shivering elves and laughing orcs ;) or have I got it wrong?

I agree 100%. I've always found the Conan books had sufficient adventure hooks. The regional & cultural detail was be far, my favorite part as it allows me to better represent the differences in traveling/adventuring in one country or another. Too often in other settings, the names change but the culture, laws, social order, etc. stay the same.

In Conan, cultural differences matter and aren't just window dressing.

Back