Wonderful magic items

Utgardloki

Mongoose
One thing that enhances a good role-playing campaign is neat magic items. My instincts tell me to create magic items for Runequest.

Helm of Recapitation

This helmet will cure any damage done to the wearer’s head. No matter how much damage his head takes, this helmet will cure 1 point of damage per round. This helmet will not cure any damage done to any other location, and a fully-restored head will not come to life without a living body (or at least something to provide blood.

However, if the head is separated from the character’s body, this helmet will magically reattach the head providing it is placed above the character’s neck. The head will be attached to any neck or equivalent-sized source of blood.

<Lawyer's Voice>

The Helm of Recapitation is not warrented for hangovers or for neurotoxic poisons. But if you get hit in the head with a beer mug during a barfight and then put the helmet in, it will restore your head to full hit points.

</Lawyer's Voice>

Amber of Preservation

A character who carries this piece of amber with him gains a bonus to Resilience rolls to avoid the effect of major damage.

Runequest has always had magic items, but more importantly it has always had ways of making magic items. After all, someone has to make these things somehow.

Alternatively some mythicaly significant items can be obtained through heroquesting. The point is, the orrigin of magic is actualy more interesting and useful from a story and game perspective than the item itself.

I'd be disapointed to see MRQ turn into a D&D style monty haul game of meaningless shiny kit.

The "Helm of Recapitation" is a pretty cool item, and deserves a pretty cool backstory. It's also so incredibly powerful it's got to have a mythic orrigin IMHO. The fact it can reattach your head to any old body seems very suspect to me - it's likely that it's chaos cursed in some way.

My first thought is that it's realy the "Helm of Atyar" - the severed god of knowledge thieves and head hunters. After all the gods Tien (headless corpse god) and Atyar (severed head god) must have been reunited into the Thanatar cult somehow. Perhaps this helmet was discovered on the heroplane by God Learner heroquest pillagers who don't know it's true orrigin and meaning. Head taking Thanatar cultists are at this very moment on their way to recover the priceless relic.

Utgardloki said:
Helm of Recapitation

...The head will be attached to any neck or equivalent-sized source of blood.

I now have this vision of a big jar of blood with a head as the lid. :shock: Kinda cool!

simonh said:
Runequest has always had magic items, but more importantly it has always had ways of making magic items. After all, someone has to make these things somehow.

And the Comapnion has some very nice ways of making special and magical items. Far nicer than RQ2/3 did.

I'm all in favour of adding Enchantment Types to the ones in Companion, allowing people to make even more fancy items.

simonh said:
Alternatively some mythicaly significant items can be obtained through heroquesting. The point is, the orrigin of magic is actualy more interesting and useful from a story and game perspective than the item itself.

I'd be disapointed to see MRQ turn into a D&D style monty haul game of meaningless shiny kit.

Yes, but it's often nice to include items that people can't say "oh, that's a so-and-so enchantment with such-and-such a spell". Plunder is full of one-off or special magical items that couldn't easily be made using normal enchantment rules.

The "Helm of Recapitation" is a pretty cool item, and deserves a pretty cool backstory. It's also so incredibly powerful it's got to have a mythic orrigin IMHO. The fact it can reattach your head to any old body seems very suspect to me - it's likely that it's chaos cursed in some way.

My first thought is that it's realy the "Helm of Atyar" - the severed god of knowledge thieves and head hunters. After all the gods Tien (headless corpse god) and Atyar (severed head god) must have been reunited into the Thanatar cult somehow. Perhaps this helmet was discovered on the heroplane by God Learner heroquest pillagers who don't know it's true orrigin and meaning. Head taking Thanatar cultists are at this very moment on their way to recover the priceless relic.

I like this way of thinking. In fact, I've been thinking of some rules to limit the number of magic items a character may own. Perhaps magic items need to be attuned, causing psychic encumbrance if too many are owned. A character's capacity could be measured by his POW. Some items could have more encumberance than others.

If these items are unique and difficult or impossible to make (such as the Helm of Recapitation being discovered on the heroplane), they can be more potent than D&D magic items or things that can be made with an Enchantment skill.

My thought is to include both types. Some things would be commonly made, such as healing tools or military items, while others would be relics, such as the Helm of Recapitation.

I was thinking that the Amber of Preservation could also be from the heroplane. Perhaps it is the blood of a healing god, recovered from the heroplane instead of from Glorantha, where it would have been transformed into a healing rune.

Or just make really powerful items very very rare...

The way we've handled this in my RQ3 campaign is to make the vast majority of items that one might find normal "stock" matrices and such. In that game setting at least, it should be pretty common to find bound power spirits and occasional spell matrices. Those are "useful", but not overpowered because they don't really give the players abilities beyond the norm (although they may gain spells that they might not normally gain from their cult).

Rare items are "rare". And even those are usually derived from the normal matrix creation ideology in RQ3 (and in some ways easier to define in MRQ IMO). This usually involves making temporal spells permanent. A sword with a permanent truesword is a pretty nice magic item, but again is not overpowered because truesword is afterall still a spell that a character could obtain. The power is that he doesn't have to cast this every time, and isn't limited in uses. I also created some basic guidelines for simple artifacts that essentially allow for a combination of permanent temporal spell effects and "charged" instant effects. So you might obtain an amulet with 2 uses of heal body per day (which is pretty darn powerful as well, but still utilizes spell effects that are already available in the game).

More powerful stuff, or items with more combinations of spell effects should be ultra rare and should typically require attunement in order to use. You could obviously apply limits in terms of numbers of items, but honestly unless you run a monty haul type game, you shouldn't have too much need. Our game's been running for a very very long time, and even in a top power level group, there might be 2 or 3 items that would be considered "artifacts" (and a handful of lesser items that may have special properties similar to crystals and such). We also implemented many of the Primal Order rules into our game as well (which works really well due to the point based mechanics already present in RQ).

You can make powerful item creation and use as simple or as complex as you want. I'd start out simple and rare, then see how your players react (because you don't want to turn the game into a D&D style haulfest). Then progress as you feel is appropriate.

Some example items I've tossed into my game:

Chalice of Healing: Contains two matrices for Ressurection. These can be used normally. If the chalice is filled with blood during the ritual (1 temp con loss), the chance of resurection success is increased by 30%. Anyone may use the item, but if the +30% component is used by someone who is not tied to a deity that normally grants the ressurection spell, the user is not protected from potential backlash from the underworld for his transgression. The GM may determine what consequences this might entail (it's a "bad thing"(tm)).

Mace of Dissonance: These weapons come in a variety of forms. They do normal damage for the weapon type, however when wielded, they produce an audible whiring noise. When they hit any sort of non-magical metal the rolled weapon damage is applied directly as AP damage to the item before the full damage is then applied. This means that armor points of metal armor will be destroyed before it protects the wearer. (example: A 1d6 mace hitting a person wearing chainmail. The attacker rolls 4 damage on his D6, and an additional 3 points of strength damage). First, 4 AP are removed from the location struck, leaving it with 1 AP, then the full 7 damage is applied to the location with only that 1AP subtracting). The GM may determine if other weapon enhancing magic may be cast on the weapon, but in all cases, only the natural rolled damage applies as dissonance damage.

Armor of Amin-ra: Ancient magical armor of a 1st age Yelmalio hero. It appears as an elaborate Gold collar with ornamental hanging sections in front and behind (total of 3 enc when worn). When activated, it expands and grows section by section until it covers the entire body of the (human only) wearer with elaborate gold armor of an ancient style. It takes a full round to transorm, resulting in a full suit of rune gold plate armor (with double Armor enchanting, APs need to be calculated for MRQ). The collar cannot be worn under other clothing, nor can any other armor be worn in conjuntion with this armor. The armor grants the wearer a permanent catseye when in full armor form.

Heh. Got lots of these types of things...

This sounds more like it belongs in a Piers Anthony story than anywhere else, but a Nodwick comic recently referred to a weapon known as the Clue-By-Four, which makes you smarter if you're hit with it.

I don't know the stats, but I'd guess something like the following:

Clue-By-Four If it successfully hits a character's head, the target must make a Resilience roll or gain 1d3 Intelligence for 12 hours. A person can only benefit by a maximum of 3 points of Intelligence from being hit with this weapon. It does 1d4 damage and must be struck with full force and therefore the wielder's full Damage Bonus is also added to the attack.

Back