Witchers of Legend- A fan-project (UPDATED)

Torque2100

Mongoose
Big Update 8/12

Check the newest post.

Big Update 4/26

I have an early, unfinished version of the book up on Google docs. This is just a taste of what is to come but I want to get your opinion of this before I go too much farther. I apologize for the lack of polish, but I'm still trying to get the book done

Early, unfinished version

I will also ad my Outline and which sections I have done.

My primary goal here is to make a professional-style setting book that anyone can use. I would like for someone who has never played the Witcher games before or read the novels to be able read this book and known enough about the setting to make a character based on it.

Ch1. Introduction "What is The Witcher?" - Done
-The Novels of Andzrei Sapkowski - Done
-Themes, Characters and Tone - Done
Ch2. The World of The Witcher
- Introduction to the Continent - Done
-What has come before: Describe in brief the Conjunction of the Spheres, The Tale of Lara Dorren and Cragen of Lod, the War between Men and Elves, the rise of the Human Kingdoms and the Nilfgaard War. -Done
-Timeline - Done

-The Northern Kingdoms Today - Done
Map -Done
-Major Kingdoms:
-Aedirn -Done
-Cintra - Done
-Kaedwen - Done
-Kovir and Poviss - Done
--Narok-Done
--Talgar-Done
--Velhad-Done
-Lyria and Rivia-Done
-Redania-In Progress
-Temeria
--Mahakam
--Sodden
--Brugge
--Ellander

-Minor Kingdoms and Regions:
-Cidaris
-Bremervoord
-Brokilon Forest
-Dol Blathanna
-Hengefors League
-Caingorn
-Creyden
-Malleore
-Kerack
-Skellige Islands
-Vergen
--Novigrad
-Lands Beyond the North:
--The Empire of Nilfgaard
--Zerrikania

Ch 3. Character Creation
-Races of the Northern Kingdoms
-A Note on Race Relations in the Northern Kingdoms
-Human
--Nordling
--Nilfgaardian
--Skelligan
--Elder Blood
-Elf
-Dwarf
-Gnome
-Halfling

-New Skills and Heroic Abilities
-The Witcher Profession
Ch. 4 Equipment
Ch 5. Magic in the Northern Kingdoms
-Common Magic and access: 90% of the population has not knowledge of magic and many who do lack the necessary Power to cast it. All schools of Magic exist in the Northern Kingdoms, though the use of all but Divine magic is increasingly frowned upon. In fact, witch hunts by religious sects against mages or druids are commonplace
-Magic Users in the Northern Kingdoms
--Mages
--Priests
--Druids
-Cults of the Northern Kingdoms
--Coram Augh Tera
--Melitele- the Goddess in three forms
--Kreve- The Forefather
--The Cult of the Eternal Fire
--Freya- The Mother Creatrix
--Minor Cults
---Dana Méadbh
---The Deep Lords
---Veyopatis
---The Lady of the Lake

-Sign Magic: Signs are a new form of magic superficially similar to Common Magic. They are predominantly used by Witchers - See Witcher Profession above
Ch.6 Alchemy
Ch. 7 A Witcher’s Bestiary

Special Abilities of Monsters in the Witcher
-Resistance
-Susceptibility
-Alchemical components

Beasts and Monsters
-Cat
-Griffin
-Manticore
-Kelplie
-Harpy
--Eyrnia
--Celaeno

Humanoids
-Doppler
-Sylvan
- Nymph
--Naiad
--Dryad
-Succubus
-Vodyanoi

The Restless Dead
-Barghest
-Draugir
-Drowner
-Drowned Dead
-Wraith

Necrophages
-Bullvore
-Devourer
-Ghoul
--Alghoul
--Cemetaur
--Gravier
-Nekkers
--Nekker
--Nekker Warrior
-Rotfiend
--Greater Rotfiend

Creatures of Magic
-Frightener
-Gargoyle
-Genie
--D’ao
--Djinn
--Maride
--Ifrit

-Golem
-Koshchey
-Striga
-Mutant

Dracomorphs
-True Dragon
--Black Dragon
--Green Dragon
--Golden Dragon
--Red Dragon
--White Dragon
--Rock Dragon
-Forktail
-Ornithodragon
-Slyzard
-Dracolizard – Despite its resemblance to Wyverns, Cockatrice and other Ornithosaurs, the Dracolizard is not considered a “true” Ornithosaur because it does not have a venomous bite.

Ornithosaur
-Basilisk
-Cockatrice
-Flying Drake
-Wyvern
--Royal Wyvern

Vampire- Vampire refers to a dizzying array of different creatures, all of whom bear the name.
-Higher Vampire
--Alp
--Bruxa
--Nosferat
-Lower Vampire
--Garkain
--Fleder
Fae
-Leaprochaun
-Grigg

Insectoids
-Arachas
-Endrega
--Endgrega Worker
--Endrega Guard
--Endrega Warrior
--Endrega Queen
-Giant Centipede
-Giant Scorpion
-Kikimore
--Kikimore Worker
--Kikmore Soldier
--Kikmore Queen

Rogue’s Gallery: Brigands and Bandits
-Bandit
-Scoia’tael
--Elven Scoia’tael
--Dwarven Scoia’tael
-Knight of the Flaming Rose

Original Post

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm a long time RPG player who has wanted for a long time to branch out and try systems other than D&D and Pathfinder. I have also always wanted to put together an English Language supplement for roleplaying in the world of Andrzej Sapkowski's Witcher novels and the PC games based on them.

I would like to put together a fan-made setting book for the Legend system. I've started putting together an outline and I'd like to see what suggestions the Legend community has particularly for how to model the various schools of magic described in the novels or depicted in the games.

I can tell you right now that my biggest problem is that out of five Witcher novels, only one has actually been translated into English and it's highly unlikely that the Polish language Wiedźmiń RPG will ever see in the light of day in any English-speaking country.

What text is translated is largely focused on the trials and tribulations of Geralt and his companions and it's rather light on the world-building. I still need to finish Blood of Elves, though so I am hopeful that the text contains some more details I could use.

I'll list some questions I've had. I'm still just starting this project and I'm eager to hear any suggestions or thoughts people with more experience than I playing Legend/Runequest might have.

1. Magic:
In the opinion of my fellow forum goers, what's the best way to model magic as depicted in the Witcher Novels? What's the best way to handle Sign magic?

2. Witchers as PCs: What's the point of playing an RPG called "the Witcher" if you can't play as one of the eponymous, bad ass monster slayers? In your opinion, what's the best way to make the Witcher a playable career without making them overpowered?

3. Alchemy: Mixing various substances to produce potions and oils with wondrous effects have always been a major part of Witcher lore, yet for the life of me I can't find any reference to it in the Legend RPG books. Is there something that deals specifically with the creation of potions or oils from an older Runequest or Basic RolePlay produce I could use?

4. Religion: The Witcher novels are pretty light on details of exactly who the gods in the setting are, and exactly what followers of those gods believe. A few are mentioned, but it's heavily implied that there are many more. I know I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but is there anywhere exactly where I could look for this information? Probably my biggest question is Exactly who was Kreve. The cult of Kreve is mentioned several times, but I can find almost no information on exactly who Kreve is or was. Was he a man who ascended to godhood? A god from ancient times? A prophet? It can be rather difficult to effectively roleplay a devout follower of a faith, if you have no idea of exactly what it is your character is praying to.

I'm eagerly anticipating whatever input you might be able to offer.

EDIT:

I have completed the first draft of the . I'm eager to hear what you have to say about it. Is it over powered? Underpowered? Doesn't reflect the novels?

Aparently there is a RPG out there. It was published in Polish, though. According to Wikipedia:

"In 2001 a tabletop role-playing game called Wiedźmin: Gra Wyobraźni (The Witcher: A Game of Imagination), based on Sapkowski's books, was published by MAG."

Sadly I haven't read the books in Polish or any other language, so I'm afraid I can't assist further.

Sounds like a fun project. I have not read the books. Played a few hours of the PC game just recently. A friend of mine ran a summer long Witcher campaign a few years ago using the Omni-system (Talislanta/Atlantis: The Second Age). I had a great time.

I think Talislanta's effects based magic worked really well here. It's basically a build your own spell system based on Modes and Orders. The Order describes the type of magic (Witchcraft, Sorcery, etc), the Mode is a spell-effect (Attack, Summon, etc). Kinetic, Influence, and Ward Modes worked quite nicely for Witcher Sign magic. The players build their own spells in advance based on the Mode/Order guidelines. I've been thinking of porting it, not fond of the Legend/RQ magic system.

You can find all the Talislanta books for free download at http://talislanta.com/

Clockwork & Chivalry has Alchemy rules. I wasn't overly impressed with them but at least it's something to consider. It is an OpenQuest/Renaissance System game so it's compatible with Legend. The rules are also free to download at the Clockwork & Chivalry web site.

Torque2100 said:
Long time reader, first time poster. I'm a long time RPG player who has wanted for a long time to branch out and try systems other than D&D and Pathfinder. I have also always wanted to put together an English Language supplement for roleplaying in the world of Andrzej Sapkowski's Witcher novels and the PC games based on them.

I would like to put together a fan-made setting book for the Legend system. I've started putting together an outline and I'd like to see what suggestions the Legend community has particularly for how to model the various schools of magic described in the novels or depicted in the games.

I haven't read the books or played the game, but Schools of Magic is a common theme in fantasy.

Torque2100 said:
I can tell you right now that my biggest problem is that out of five Witcher novels, only one has actually been translated into English and it's highly unlikely that the Polish language Wiedźmiń RPG will ever see in the light of day in any English-speaking country.

What text is translated is largely focused on the trials and tribulations of Geralt and his companions and it's rather light on the world-building. I still need to finish Blood of Elves, though so I am hopeful that the text contains some more details I could use.

Ah, I take it you haven't read them in Polish, or the other translated languages, then? That makes it a bit difficult.

Torque2100 said:
I'll list some questions I've had. I'm still just starting this project and I'm eager to hear any suggestions or thoughts people with more experience than I playing Legend/Runequest might have.

I can answer in vague, general terms, but not in detail, I am afraid.

Torque2100 said:
1. Magic:
In the opinion of my fellow forum goers, what's the best way to model magic as depicted in the Witcher Novels? What's the best way to handle Sign magic?

How is magic portrayed in the Witcher novels? Do Witchers have flash-bang Fireballs or do they cast more subtle magic? What powers do they draw upon? How is magic used in the books?

Torque2100 said:
2. Witchers as PCs: What's the point of playing an RPG called "the Witcher" if you can't play as one of the eponymous, bad ass monster slayers? In your opinion, what's the best way to make the Witcher a playable career without making them overpowered?

Don't worry about them being overpowered.

Follow what is in the books and give them similar powers.

In Legend terms, you would need to come up with a Background and Profession for them. background might be the same for everyone. Profession might be whatever profession they used to have before they became a Witcher, or it might be the Witcher profession itself.

Work out what spells transfer to the setting and which do not. Don't be afraid to drop core spells because they don't fit or introduce new spells.

Torque2100 said:
3. Alchemy: Mixing various substances to produce potions and oils with wondrous effects have always been a major part of Witcher lore, yet for the life of me I can't find any reference to it in the Legend RPG books. Is there something that deals specifically with the creation of potions or oils from an older Runequest or Basic RolePlay produce I could use?

Age of Terror has Alchemy, I believe. Merrie England had Alchemy rules, but not for what you want to describe. There are some BRP supplements that might be useful as well, as they cover Alchemy in detail and are fairly compatible with Legend.

If you want a basic system, have a Lore (Alchemy) or Craft (Alchemist), or Alchemy advanced skill that can be used to make potions. Make up a list of potions from the books and what effects they have. Allow people with the Alchemy skill to make those potions and give them a chance to experiment.

Torque2100 said:
4. Religion: The Witcher novels are pretty light on details of exactly who the gods in the setting are, and exactly what followers of those gods believe. A few are mentioned, but it's heavily implied that there are many more. I know I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but is there anywhere exactly where I could look for this information? Probably my biggest question is Exactly who was Kreve. The cult of Kreve is mentioned several times, but I can find almost no information on exactly who Kreve is or was. Was he a man who ascended to godhood? A god from ancient times? A prophet? It can be rather difficult to effectively roleplay a devout follower of a faith, if you have no idea of exactly what it is your character is praying to.

Traditionally, Legend-style games have 4 paths to magic:
Common Magic - Available to most people, but weak
Divine Magic - Available to members of cults worshipping gods, sometimes weak but stronger than Common Magic
Sorcery - Available to sorcerers or members of magic schools, can be weaker or stronger than Divine Magic
Spirit Magic - Well, this is new, it is the magic of shamans and spirit-practitioners, different to other types of magic

You probably need to decide which, if any, of these magic systems suit the cults/magic schools of the Witcher books. Perhaps you might decide that they have a mixture of magics, with some common, some divine, some sorcery or whatever.

Torque2100 said:
I'm eagerly anticipating whatever input you might be able to offer.

I can't be of much help, I'm afraid.

Wikipedia shows a Universe and a Wiki page, which might contain more information.

Witcher Universe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_universe
Witcher Wiki: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Original poster here again. I just want to get your opinion on my rough draft for the Witcher Profession. (EDIT: Dead Link)

I have tried to dial their power back a bit from the portrayal of Witchers in the novels mostly so they won't overpower the rest of the group and so even the Witcher player can feel a sense of character progression.

I've got my basic concept for Signs down. The process for casting or learning them is identical to Common Magic, though the signs themselves are more powerful. Each sign will have a basic magnitude and can be learned at higher degrees of magnitude, each degree will grant an additional benefit but use up more Magic points to cast.

The Signs, if you don't know them are:

Aard- A telekenetic push, able to knock men off their feet. More magnitude means a more powerful push
Igni- A burst of fire that can ignite targets
Yrden- A sign used to magically seal doors and windows
Quen- A sign that creates armor against physical attack
Axii- A sign that works like the Charm spell
Heliotrop- A sign that creates a barrier against magical attacks

At start, PC Witchers only know one sign at it's base magnitude. Additional signs will have to be learned during play.

I'm eager to hear what more experienced Legend DM's think of this. Also, if anyone would like to suggest Signs I'm eager to hear them.

As far as Alchemy, I have found an excellent alchemy system for RQII that could easily be adapted for use here. Some changes I am planning, I am going to combine several skills into Craft (Alchemy) and get rid of the "Alchemy Skills start at 00%" rule.

The signs you've quoted sound a lot like Runes in Elric, if you haven't had the chance check them out (they are nothing like the old Runes from which Runequest got its name). Basically each Rune is it's own skill and the variable effects of the Rune are based on the number of MP invested. Generally, they take 1 CA per MP to cast and are not able to be cast at range, however you could easily modify that.

Torque2100 said:
Original poster here again. I just want to get your opinion on my rough draft for the Witcher Profession.

I have tried to dial their power back a bit from the portrayal of Witchers in the novels mostly so they won't overpower the rest of the group and so even the Witcher player can feel a sense of character progression.

Looks good to me.

Torque2100 said:
I've got my basic concept for Signs down. The process for casting or learning them is identical to Common Magic, though the signs themselves are more powerful. Each sign will have a basic magnitude and can be learned at higher degrees of magnitude, each degree will grant an additional benefit but use up more Magic points to cast.

The Signs, if you don't know them are:

Aard- A telekenetic push, able to knock men off their feet. More magnitude means a more powerful push
Igni- A burst of fire that can ignite targets
Yrden- A sign used to magically seal doors and windows
Quen- A sign that creates armor against physical attack
Axii- A sign that works like the Charm spell
Heliotrop- A sign that creates a barrier against magical attacks

At start, PC Witchers only know one sign at it's base magnitude. Additional signs will have to be learned during play.

I'm eager to hear what more experienced Legend DM's think of this. Also, if anyone would like to suggest Signs I'm eager to hear them.

Do you have a different skill for each Sign? That would mean that different Witchers can be experts in using different Signs.

It looks as though each Magic Point spent in a Sign gives a +1 bonus, is that right?

Torque2100 said:
As far as Alchemy, I have found an excellent alchemy system for RQII that could easily be adapted for use here. Some changes I am planning, I am going to combine several skills into Craft (Alchemy) and get rid of the "Alchemy Skills start at 00%" rule.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about that ...

Yes, it can be simplified and what you are proposing makes a lot of sense. It was written for RQ3 which had a lot of skills, whereas Legend has a few skills. Since RQ3 adds the Knowledge Bonus to skills, if you started at 00% then you needed to learn the skill to 5%+ Knowledge Bonus. Legend would have it as an Advanced Skill, probably at INT+POW, or INTx2.

hanszurcher said:
Have any ideas on how to handle the cumulative potion toxicity?

In Legend Potency governs the chance of something taking effect - not necessarily what the effect is (a low Potency venom may still have 'instadeath' as an outcome). On the grounds that there is often a reduced effect if the Potency does not overcome the target's Resilience, it is already nuanced however.

It's there to be used/houseruled and in my setting there are rules for the most commonly used narcotic that govern cumulative toxicity - I have a chart that breaks down effects according to the cumulative potency. This may be a result of taking another dose before the last has worn off (ie the Duration has not expired), as well as taking a multiple dose to start with.

You can use the Onset Time and Duration to apply a staged poison and a nefarious plot. ie poison 'A' is simply a catalyst; you lose the Res roll, nothing happens. Poison B is only deadly to someone who has taken Poison A...so a whole room full of drinkers can ingest it from the poisoned punch bowl, but only one will die.

It took me a while to get my head round the poison rules, but they are really quite clever and flexible.

hanszurcher said:
Have any ideas on how to handle the cumulative potion toxicity?
In the Elric game potions are generally inscribed Runes in consumable form.
Elric Core Rulebook said:
The toxicity of a dose is equal to the number of Magic Points it
contains. An Adventurer may safely ingest (or apply to themselves)
a total potion toxicity of up to half their CON attribute. Exceeding
this value exposes the consumer to a toxic overdose. They must
succeed in an opposed test of their Resilience against the total
accrued toxicity multiplied by 5%, else suffer some debilitating
effect specific to the potion(s) involved.

Sounds like I really need to check out the Elric of Melnibone books then. The Runes system and the potions sound remarkably similar. What I may do is actually just use the alchemy system straight for the first Witcher game with the potion and toxicity rules from Elric. I'll have to download the PDF of Elric from DrivethruRPG as soon as my next paycheck hits.

Just a quick update. I wanted to let you all know that I am still working on this and I will finish it. I do have a couple of conundrums that have come up and I would appreciate some of your input on.

First is the issue of resistances. In the Witcher novels and video games, weapons made of silver are indispensable for slaying certain beasts. Werewolves obviously, but vampires and necrophages (Ghouls, Devourerers and the like) are also stated to be more vulnerable to silver weapons and to blade oils specifically designed to affect them. I've been pondering exactly how to model this and I hit upon an idea.

Certain creatures like Vampires or the tougher breeds of Necrophage have an ability called "Hardiness." Hardieness always has a number listed after it in parenthesis. Hardiness grants a number of bonus armor points to all locations equal to its rating against all non-magical attacks. Hardieness also comes with one or more items to which the creature is "Sensitive." Any damage from a source the creature is Senstive to automatically bypasses that creature's Hardiness. Unlike normal or natural armor, Hardiness armor cannot be bypassed except by using the items the creature is sensitive to.

I want to get your opinion of this ability and how I should implement it. How many points of Hardiness armor is too much, for example?

Also, I am still trying to decide the best alchemy system for this setting. I'm really leaning towards just using a simplified version of the Alchemy system from the Witcher PC game.

Here's what I have come up with so far:

Potion bases must be some manner of alcohol, the stronger and purer the better. Each potion base has a rating ranging from 3-5 which is how many ingredients that base can accommodate.

Potion Ingredients can be any manner of things from plants, to rocks to monster body parts. All ingredients contain one of 6 substances.
Vitriol= Represented by Light Blue
Rebris= Represented by Green
Aether= Represented by Purple
Quebrith= Represented by Yellow
Hydragenum= Represented by Silver
Vermillion= Represented by Dark Orange

Depending on what the ingredient comes from it can be more or less difficult to extract. Plants can simply be picked. Monster parts are a little more complicated. Generally, extracting usable parts from a monster requires an Anatomy Kit (See Arms of Legend).

Each potion or poison or bomb has a specific combination of ingredients. In order to mix a potion, the alchemist must mix the appropriate ingredients with the potion base and roll his Craft (Alchemy) skill.

The Craft (Alchemy) Skill limits the maximum rating of potions, oils or bombs that the Alchemist can create. The maximum Rating of any potion an Alchemist can craft is equal to 10% of his Alchemy skill /2 or 3 whichever is higher.

As far as Cumulative Toxicity goes, here are my thoughts. Toxicitiy is equal to the number of ingredients in a potion. A character can safely consume a Toxicity level equal to their CON.

If a character overdoses, they must pass a Resistance roll vs. a Potency equal to the total Toxicity x5 or take some nasty overdose effects. I'll probably put together a random chart based on the poison effects.

A character's Cumulative Toxicity is reduced by 1 every hour.

This isn't perfect, but it's serviceable. I would really prefer a system that allows player character Alchemists to design their own potions from scratch. Though an Alchemist could try to guess the potion formulas, but if any of my players have played the PC game, it would kind of ruin the surprise because I'm sure they know the formulas by heart.

So, questions, comments concerns? Any feedback would be appreciated.

That all looks pretty good to me (not at all familiar with the game though).

Have you read Alex Greene's Alchemy document? It is quite a good article and may prove useful.

I'd go with an Alchemy Skill (Int+Pow) that functions somewhat like a grimoire with different recipes in the place of spells. Probably with three varieties: Alchemy(Potions), Alchemy(Bombs), and Alchemy(Oils).

I'd skip the Anatomy Kit, the Witcher comes from the Bear Grylls School of Alchemy. Use Lore(fauna), Survival or the Alchemy skill and a sharp knife to extract animal substances in the field.

I like the idea of using the potion Toxicity ratings from the game: Low (10–14), Medium (15–20), High (21–25), Very High (26–30). The Witcher begins to have ill effects at about 60, he's dead at 100. But I supose you could use the Toxicity rating in an opposed Potency test.

Excellent points, hanszurcher. I'll take them into consideration. I especially like your idea to split Alchemy crafting into three different skills based on Potions, Oils and Bombs. It would make a character based solely on being an alchemist more viable.

I love the Bear Grylls reference to. That does seem to fit the feel of the Witcher a bit better. Perhaps a system where a good sharp knife can get you a useable dose of whatever ingredient the monster has, but using an Anatomy kit and the Lore (Monsters/fauna) skill has the chance to get a little more. Maybe two doses on a critical success?

Torque2100 said:
...Perhaps a system where a good sharp knife can get you a useable dose of whatever ingredient the monster has, but using an Anatomy kit and the Lore (Monsters/fauna) skill has the chance to get a little more. Maybe two doses on a critical success?
There was a skill in the game, which I just finished*, where you can get x2 the usual amount of substances. So that totally fits.

*Saw the Alvin thing coming a mile away ;)

Back