Why not Dune?

To take this thread back on topic, I think the Dune background would make a great RPG, but I wonder:

Would you make the key characters NPC only or would you allow a player to play Paul Atreides for example?

Daniel

Allowin key characters to be PCs is dangerous, it's all too easy to deviate from the cannon of the universe, unless you're playing outside the timeline of established events.

I mean imagine Star Wars RPG, a PC plays Luke Skywalker and decides he's going to stay at home and take the rap for runaway R2, rather than go out looking for him, there'd be 3 charred bodies instead of 2.

LBH

I was thinking of a few old games I have played in the past.

The old James Bond game for example where one player was bond or the old Indiana Jones Game, or the old TSR Conan game. All allowed players to play the main character.

But on the other hand, I think the real fun in playing a Dune RPG woul dbe to not be tied to a "real character" and be free to explore the Dune setting itself.

Just some thoughts.

Daniel

dafrca said:
But on the other hand, I think the real fun in playing a Dune RPG woul dbe to not be tied to a "real character" and be free to explore the Dune setting itself.

Just some thoughts.

Daniel

I really like the approach taken in the Icon system Dune RPG (by LUG): The players are the movers and shakers of a house minor...

Perhaps even the head of the house.

They might be beheld to one of the "big Names" even... so one might be a vassal house of the Atreidies (pre-novel), or of Corrino...

Or one could be a smaller house major of the players own creation.

AKAramis said:
I really like the approach taken in the Icon system Dune RPG (by LUG): The players are the movers and shakers of a house minor...

They might be beheld to one of the "big Names" even... so one might be a vassal house of the Atreidies (pre-novel), or of Corrino...

I had not seen their take on this. I like the idea. That way the players are not the main characters and yet can have an impact on the overall story to a degree. Nice.

Daniel

Strom said:
Well presented case Finarvyn. 8)
Thanks. I didn't want to just whine about it but instead to really try to think through the situation. Based on e-bay sales, I'd say the market is there.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be the one investing my time and resources to gain the rights and develop the game, so it's easy for me to say it would work. Mongoose may have a totally different take on the whole matter, and probably does in light of the fact that they haven't acquired the rights yet.

I also remember when there was rumor of a "major" acquisition for Mongoose (which I believe was Traveller) but many people speculated that it might be Dune. Others have Dune on the brain, too! 8)

AKAramis said:

I could see a Dune RPG as a combination of traditional (d20 or RQ or Traveller) along with something more like the old TSR setting Birthright where the "noble house" or a faction (fremen, bene gesserit, etc.) would almost run like a character. Campaigns could switch back-and-forth occasionally, with some adventures being political and house intrigue based while other adventures might be on the more traditional character level.

This could be a fun game to play! Kind of like a combination of the old Avalon Hill wargame and a RPG....

Heck, combine this with a collection of Dune miniatures and you've got yourself something really special!

Finarvyn said:
Strom said:
Well presented case Finarvyn. 8)
Thanks. I didn't want to just whine about it but instead to really try to think through the situation. Based on e-bay sales, I'd say the market is there.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be the one investing my time and resources to gain the rights and develop the game, so it's easy for me to say it would work. Mongoose may have a totally different take on the whole matter, and probably does in light of the fact that they haven't acquired the rights yet.

I also remember when there was rumor of a "major" acquisition for Mongoose (which I believe was Traveller) but many people speculated that it might be Dune. Others have Dune on the brain, too! 8)

I was one of those hopng for Dune.

MaxSteiner said:
I get what you're saying but the thing you have to remember is I'm a cheap scate :D.
I think the only RPG I have more than one edition of is Mage the Ascension lol.
Honestly Im more speaking from a personal bias than for anyone else, its why Im quite interested in the Hawkmoon RPG, but completly disinterested in the Elric one for instance.

OMG you have to be kidding, anything White Wolf does is CRAP! :twisted:

um....not true?? Promethean is a quality product IMHO. Maybe not playable as such, but a good set of books. BTW I am NOT a WW fanboy before that is stated...

But anyways

See Burning Sands: Jihad for Burning Wheel. If done well it recreates the politics of Dune well, better than the LUG version. But, it is Burning Wheel so very 'crunch' intensive. Sorry if it has already bin mentioned.

System-wise. Traveller maybe?? But thinking on it, maybe a more 'cinematic' or pulpy system. Dune is about the EPIC rather than bean counting ande crunch.

flyingcircus said:
MaxSteiner said:
I get what you're saying but the thing you have to remember is I'm a cheap scate :D.
I think the only RPG I have more than one edition of is Mage the Ascension lol.
Honestly Im more speaking from a personal bias than for anyone else, its why Im quite interested in the Hawkmoon RPG, but completly disinterested in the Elric one for instance.

OMG you have to be kidding, anything White Wolf does is CRAP! :twisted:

the WWG edition of Pendragon is excellent. Then again, It's very close to prior editions of Pendragon.

weasel_fierce said:
Go home and cry, we'll be over here playing Trinity.

A Dune book for Traveller would be a lot of fun.

Anyone else remember Trinity Battleground with the Bob Naismith minis? Ace idea for a game.

Matt if you are reading this, I will buy the first 10 copies of Dune out of the printing press. :D

I think Traveller would be a great system for Dune.
Character classes in the Dune universe could be: adventurer, smuggler, freedom fighter, body guard, soldier, Mentat, Fremen, Bene Gesserit etc (the list goes on). Playing a noble from a minor House could also be an option, but harder to GM. Personally I would like to play a spice smuggler/gun runner type over the noble type.8) There are many campaign and adventure story options available.
The Dune universe is dark and dirty....a good place for enterprising "business" men (meaning smuggler or gun for hire type players) to make money...even though crossing a noble House could be fatal.

Remember: The spice must flow.

TT.

Paul10191 said:
In SP30rPG, Matthew Sprange gave us a whish list of RPGames. Dune was in the list. Why not. If a company succeeded (LUG, now defunct) with Dune Chronicles of the Imperium, why not to do again the challenge.

Well the company that did The Chronicals of Dune rpg had a few ideas for supplenents but the Herbert estate or representatives gave them so many hassles while they were writing the Chronicles they decided to only do the one and their company went under.

That is what my friend read on the internet.

I managed to pick up a mint condition Chronicles of Athas recently
very happy to have done so.

Back