Why not Dune?

Paul10191 said:
In Dune, all the universe must be created. You know about Atreides, Harkonnens and Corrinos but for the reste nothing. We also know things about the names of certaines Great Houses, the CHOAM, the BG sisterhood, the Spacing Guild. But for the rest is an affair of creation. Mongoose make a good work with Conan with differents sources about the universe and the hero and it do a good RPG. It is difficult for the fans to reject something that don't exist in the books.

Good points. The nit-picky work is in what's known. The creative work that Mongoose is used to is everything else.

Paul10191 said:
In Dune, all the universe must be created. You know about Atreides, Harkonnens and Corrinos but for the reste nothing. We also know things about the names of certaines Great Houses, the CHOAM, the BG sisterhood, the Spacing Guild. But for the rest is an affair of creation. Mongoose make a good work with Conan with differents sources about the universe and the hero and it do a good RPG. It is difficult for the fans to reject something that don't exist in the books.

Actually, we know a bit more than that just from Frank's works...

We have glimpses of the Tleilaxu, the Bene Gesserit, and some hints about the Ginaz. As well as the Honored Matres.

Brian Herbert & Kevin Anderson's works provide input on several more houses, two with some detail, and several more in passing reference. Brian & Keven's works also include the old LUG Dune RPG. There IS enough there to run with.

But could MP do better? And further, which system to use? (MRQ would seem the far better choice.) And further, how much of the older system is "owned" by LUG?

AKAramis said:
But could MP do better? And further, which system to use? (MRQ would seem the far better choice.)

Could they do better? Dunno... they can do "bad", "good", or "great" tho.

Which system to use is up to Mongoose...

There are only two real choics though, d20 and d100. Since there was a Dune RPG by Avalon Hill which was brought by hasbro (who own wizards of the coast, who will note sell these properties anymore, even though they don't use them) it seems unlikely that we will ever see it, expecially since the rights to it were caught up in legal limbo by the crowd who made the miniseries.

Mage said:
There are only two real choics though, d20 and d100. Since there was a Dune RPG by Avalon Hill which was brought by hasbro (who own wizards of the coast, who will note sell these properties anymore, even though they don't use them) it seems unlikely that we will ever see it, expecially since the rights to it were caught up in legal limbo by the crowd who made the miniseries.

In that case, it's unlikely indeed.

Mage said:

Was the Avalon Hill Dune RPG any good?

This may be an ultra-stupid question, but is the B5 ruleset amenable to Dune at all? (assuming it'd be more than just a separate setting).

Mage said:

That's what I heard that Wizards owned the licence for Dune and was not going to do anything with it, they bought it to stop anyone else doing anything with it. Which I think is a very sad reason to buy something to stop someone else using it. :roll:

Nah, trust me. They'll use it. If they don't they'll just lose it in a couple of years and have to buy it again. Which, frankly I would rather see Wizards pull a retarded business tactic like that and throw money out the window than see an actual Dune RPG/CCG from them.

They could do a CCG or boxed game of it.
Then again there is a night club owner here in town, who is also part of the town council. He owns the license for permission of other night clubs to open. He owns the only night club in town. Sickening corruption. Just like Wizards.

lastbesthope said:
DM said:
Either way though, theres no point Mongoose making RPGs other people have done already is there?

Wot, like RuneQuest? :D

Or B5? ANd then redo that agin themselves.

:lol:

LBH

Well funny you should say that, cause Im firmly in the no they shouldnt have camp. I'd just get secound edition stuff off Ebay if I wanted to play, its got that nostalga thing going for it. Plus one of the older box sets is mind blowingly cool.

Fair do's to the people who are into relaunches though, I just dont see what the point of say, rewriting reworking and releasing most of Chaosims back catalogue to work with the rules of another old system you've just bought and renovated, when say, you coulda just rereleased Stormbringer which has gotta be one of the greatests fantasy RPG systems of all time.
I also dont like the whole, we can split this book into three books move in RPG's either, but thats just cause Im old school.
Fanpro has a much much better way of rereleasing existing stuff to new markets in my mind, in that its generally pretty much unchanged and nostalgic.
I also dont like the move towards one game system. When I want that I'll play GURPS or hero, so I tend to stay away from the Omni systems (I still remember Tog lol), Im a big fan of different systems for differing settings, and I find you just dont get that with all these buy outs and rereleases. Theres just some push to standardise everything so players only have to learn one set of rules.... Wouldn't be to bad except this ubber system tends to be 'roll a D20, high bad!'...

Like I say though its just a personal preferance, Im sure its alot of fun if you're into it, or missed them first time round or really really like one specific system and wanna play it in different settings.

Well, I'd like to see re-released and supported at present stuff. If it were not for these forums, I would never have become a fan of Babylon 5, Michael Moorcock, or Dune.

I've wanted to play a Dune RPG for years, and had been anxiously awaiting the LUG game when it was first announced (Some of the artwork was beautiful, and really captured the middle east meets sci-fi vibe that i always pictured for Dune).

I think the trick for a successful Dune RPG is to focus on Arrakis, setting it concurrently with the original novel (ignoring the sup-par sequels and prequels), and widening the focus beyond what's going on with Atreides and Harkonnen.

Reference the guild and what not, but treat them as a mythical entity, set the perspective to the point of view of those living on Arrakis. You could definitely get into some cool native vs. occupation forces type conflict, both violent and political, or some high adventuring in the wastes, spice smuggling and what not. There's a lot to explore beyond the narrow focus of the novel's narrative. Things hinted at but scarcely touched upon by Herbert in the book. I think Dune would be an amazing place to play. If people really wanted to get into the transdimensional space travel and what not - do so in expansions. I think all of that stuff was just an invention of convenience on Herbert's part to give his antagonist an outsider's perspective anyway.

Back